Going to an Indian Restaurant

Options
I am going for an Indian meal at the weekend; can anyone advise me what the best food to eat is, I understand that it is very high in calories!!!

Can I save a few calories daily, throughout this week, to give me more flexibility?

Your views would be gratefully received; many thanks :smile:

Replies

• Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Boy that's a tough one. Indian restaurant dishes are healthy in terms of purity of ingredients but when it comes to oil and cream they use tons of it.

Perhaps you could find a grilled tandoori chicken skewer or something like that? That won't have sauce so will be much leaner.

If you go for a dish with sauces, perhaps avoid the cream-heavy ones like Korma, Rogan Josh or Tikka Massala.

Dopiaza or Biryani might be a bit less calories but it all depends on the restaurant I guess.

Don't get a naan bread accompaniment... that will almost double your calories.

The other option - work out like mad and buy yourself an extra 1000 cals for the day then have whatever dish you want :-)
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Agree - go for the tandoori dishes and go easy on the rice and naan. Everything in moderation though!
  • charlotteandalfie
    Options
    At my local Indian they have a healthy option menu see if it has one and go for something off of that if they don't instead of having a naan have a popadom under a hundred calories and go for steamed brown rice or White xx
  • ProudNanny
    Options
    Thanks guys your comments and advise is very welcome, tandoori dish it is then :flowerforyou:
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Tandoori is a great suggestion. Basically anything without a heavy sauce is probably fine. The beautiful thing about indian food is that it relies so heavily on spices.

Had Tandoori chicken last week when a customer brought us lunch. Awesome.