how much sugar ?

Options
for me ( based on w/h) I have 28 grams. I feel like even though I am being heathy I always go over this amount. For an example Chobani has 19 grams in a single serving. So should I up my amount or just pick different items?

Replies

• StevieBonezz
    Options
    From what I have read, you really only need to track added sugars. Sugars naturally found in dairy or fruits shouldnt be counted. Now, I still would think that they should be taken in to consideration and maybe someone can correct me, but since these sugars are natural they are easily broken down by your body. Greek Yogurt does have some sugars added, but I would get the unsweetened chobani and add fruits to it!
  • maieranne77
    maieranne77 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Great question!! I have been making green smoothies in the morning and just from that I'm over my sugar for the day. Ingredients are avocado, spinach, 1 cup frozen fruit and 1/2 tsp agave nectar.
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    From what I have read, you really only need to track added sugars. Sugars naturally found in dairy or fruits shouldnt be counted. Now, I still would think that they should be taken in to consideration and maybe someone can correct me, but since these sugars are natural they are easily broken down by your body. Greek Yogurt does have some sugars added, but I would get the unsweetened chobani and add fruits to it!

You're right. I also use the plain greek yogurt (the brand I use had around 5g of sugar per 175g serving) and add some berries instead. I don't buy flavored greek yogurt because it is full of added sugars.

I try to keep my sugar intake under 35g-40g a day, including fruits. I usually have a fruit in the morning and after a workout and I can stay under 35-40g on a daily basis. Most people do not count fruits in their daily sugar intake, but it's up to you. I stay away from added sugars, but won't binge on fruits either.
  • karinefitness
    Options
    Great question!! I have been making green smoothies in the morning and just from that I'm over my sugar for the day. Ingredients are avocado, spinach, 1 cup frozen fruit and 1/2 tsp agave nectar.

It would be the cup of frozen fruits. I wouldn't worry too much about it. It could also be the milk/soy milk; since it has quite an amount of sugar?

Maybe drop the agave nectar? Not sure it would taste as good though, especially with the spinach :)
  • TracyB25
    Options
    I struggle with my sugar intake the most. Even from making seemingly good choices I find it very difficult to stay under my 30g/day; sugar seems to be in EVERYTHING...=(
  • karinefitness
    Options
    I struggle with my sugar intake the most. Even from making seemingly good choices I find it very difficult to stay under my 30g/day; sugar seems to be in EVERYTHING...=(

It is!!! :(:(