Heavy Lifting

Options
I'm starting to get more into weight training..but I'm not very strong evidently (i.e. I tried to do bent over rows with 10lbs last night and could hardly move). My question is, am I better off being able to do 8-12 reps with a slightly higher weight or 3-5 reps with the heaviest weight I can handle with good form?

I don't want to feel like an idiot at the gym when everyone there can do so much more than me so many times and sees that I'm doing like... 2 reps before I bail.

I basically just need some guidance as to how to get started.

Replies

• n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I'd say go for a weight were you're struggling to complete the 9th and 10th rep with good form.
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Start with 8 reps and add a rep each week till you get to 12 and then increase weight and lower reps back to 8. Don't worry about what other people think. just try to have good form. If a weight is too heavy go get a lighter one and continue. You have to find what works for you first.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    these are some articles that helped me out when i started lifting

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/15/how-to-build-your-own-workout-routine/
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/10/26/how-to-not-suck-at-working-out/

basically, lift what you are comfortable with, and don't be afraid to ask questions and check out youtube videos.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to get more into weight training..but I'm not very strong evidently (i.e. I tried to do bent over rows with 10lbs last night and could hardly move). My question is, am I better off being able to do 8-12 reps with a slightly higher weight or 3-5 reps with the heaviest weight I can handle with good form?

I don't want to feel like an idiot at the gym when everyone there can do so much more than me so many times and sees that I'm doing like... 2 reps before I bail.

forget about what people think about you in the gym f*** them you start low and right. If you can do more than 10 reps with a weight, move up on it.
    I started benching 95lbs and it was tough as hell for me. Now 225lbs is tough for me but not as much as 95lbs was. You just concentrate on going slow controlled movements and hitting from 8-12 reps max.
  • Hbenson99
    Options
    depends on what you are trying to accomplish but i would suggest low weight high reps. For a person new to lifting weights you need to build up muscle endurance before pushing yourself or you could cause injury. Plus the more reps you do the more calories you will end up burning.
  • sambustem
    Options
    I've always been a heavy weight lifter - probably because I've ONLY trained with men. I can tell you this, if you lift heavy, more than likely you will get bulky, large muscles. Advantage - they burn a lot of cals just at rest, they are very good "muscle remembers" if you stop training for a period of time; Disadvantage - you look bulky and if you carry extra weight you really look bulky. It's really all in what you want. Personally, I LOVE the big muscles and looking like I can knock someone down, but that is just me and not too common a female trait. With heavy lifting, you really need to watch your form, because it is hard to control the weight and you can easily hurt yourself. If you are chosing heavy, then I always would do 8-10 reps and 2 sets. For fun then, when that is complete do a set of 15 at a light weight and see how your muscle reacts! Good luck to you!!! :)
  • carlie_carl
    Options
    its not for everyone, but I go by the 'no reps, no sets, train til failure' and its improved my strengh greatly, If you check Elliot Hulse out on youtube he goes into great detail how to build strengh and takes you step by step, one of the best strengh coaches out there, good luck (Y)
  • kcjuwils
    kcjuwils Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lift at a level that challenges you, but does not pose any potential hazards. When I was doing serious weighlifting, I focused on form with lighter weights first. My lifting coach would remind me that heavy lifting is more about your form than how strong you are. I'm a small framed lady who could stay up with the dudes on the weight rack, and it was not because I was stronger! So your thought on 8-12 reps with a lighter weight would be my suggestion at first. Don't worry about what other people are doing around you at the gym. Soon enough, you'll deadlift more than their body weight! :smile:
  • JaimeBrown5
    Options
    And what are the best types of lifts to do for the first while? So far I stick to lunges and squats with weights, bent over rows, chest flys, triceps and bi stuff, overhead press...

...I'm starting to think I may just need to go out and get the New Rules for Lifting for Women..would that guide me for what I'm looking for?
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Get "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler. It'll walk you through weightlifting. You'll start out relatively light with 2 sets of 15 reps and progress from there quite rapidly. Also, check out the groups on MFP. There are ones for the NROL4W and strength-training for women. Good luck!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Either check out the book you mentioned or you can go to www.bodybuilding.com and sign up for Jamie Eason's Live Fit Trainer for free which is a 12 week strength training program. I'm on week 3. I used to lift very heavy when I was younger, so I feel like a beginner again, but it's going great so far!
  • JaimeBrown5
    Options
    Either check out the book you mentioned or you can go to www.bodybuilding.com and sign up for Jamie Eason's Live Fit Trainer for free which is a 12 week strength training program. I'm on week 3. I used to lift very heavy when I was younger, so I feel like a beginner again, but it's going great so far!

I found that the other day actually and meant to look at it more! Maybe I'll do both, get the book and see what Jamie's program is...
  • getshredded2012
    getshredded2012 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    these are some articles that helped me out when i started lifting

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/15/how-to-build-your-own-workout-routine/
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/10/26/how-to-not-suck-at-working-out/

basically, lift what you are comfortable with, and don't be afraid to ask questions and check out youtube videos.

Definitely good info here.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,697 Member
    Options
    First and foremost learn the correct form with a weight that you can do it with comfortably for a set of 10. Gradually increase the weight till you can do the exercise with good form till the 9th rep.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I've always been a heavy weight lifter - probably because I've ONLY trained with men. I can tell you this, if you lift heavy, more than likely you will get bulky, large muscles.

Not true. Fair play to you if you like that, not knocking that at all - but this is one of the many reasons why some women don't want to lift heavy, as *most* women don't like it.
    You need to lift heavy *as well as* having a surplus of calories to build "bulky, large muscles" even then it's incredibly hard for a woman to do so, as they do not have enough testosterone, unlike the men you no doubt train with (I only train with men too) - Look at competing powerlifters/weightlifters in the lower weight categories (not those who are overweight/obese) they are slim/toned and most of them, if you saw them walking down the street, you may be able to tell they workout and they look fit, but probably wouldn't have guessed what they actually lift!

Since most women here are on maintenance at the most, they have nothing to fear when it comes to that. I, alongside many other women on here and in real life have lifted heavy for a long time and have yet to see huge muscles. I've just finished 6 months of "bulking" to purposely gain muscle mass and they're still not "bulky, large muscles" Yes they are bigger, and the extra fat makes them look bigger yet, but still not bad. I can't even see them much at all unless I flex.

To the OP: I personally train on 4-8 reps, moving up on 8 reps - all making sure my form is good. You don't have to go that low reps, a lot of people get on great on around 8-10. Although I would say once you start hitting 12-15+ it's more endurance than strength.
    As I saw someone else mention, check out "New rules of lifting for women", or "starting strength" I've heard great things about both of those from many people on here, especially new rules, although I haven't actually tried it myself so I couldn't say more than what I've heard from others.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    working in the lower rep ranges will add strength faster
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

It's not about the weight number but how much to lift in a set containing 6 to 8 reps.
    Find that weight - whatever it is, and don't worry about who might not approve.

That's irrelevant. And those who would denigrate your program don't even matter.
    All that matters is your progress and results.

All Is Possible!
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    I've always been a heavy weight lifter - probably because I've ONLY trained with men. I can tell you this, if you lift heavy, more than likely you will get bulky, large muscles.

Not true. Fair play to you if you like that, not knocking that at all - but this is one of the many reasons why some women don't want to lift heavy, as *most* women don't like it.
    You need to lift heavy *as well as* having a surplus of calories to build "bulky, large muscles" even then it's incredibly hard for a woman to do so, as they do not have enough testosterone, unlike the men you no doubt train with (I only train with men too) - Look at competing powerlifters/weightlifters in the lower weight categories (not those who are overweight/obese) they are slim/toned and most of them, if you saw them walking down the street, you may be able to tell they workout and they look fit, but probably wouldn't have guessed what they actually lift!

Since most women here are on maintenance at the most, they have nothing to fear when it comes to that. I, alongside many other women on here and in real life have lifted heavy for a long time and have yet to see huge muscles. I've just finished 6 months of "bulking" to purposely gain muscle mass and they're still not "bulky, large muscles" Yes they are bigger, and the extra fat makes them look bigger yet, but still not bad. I can't even see them much at all unless I flex.

To the OP: I personally train on 4-8 reps, moving up on 8 reps - all making sure my form is good. You don't have to go that low reps, a lot of people get on great on around 8-10. Although I would say once you start hitting 12-15+ it's more endurance than strength.
    As I saw someone else mention, check out "New rules of lifting for women", or "starting strength" I've heard great things about both of those from many people on here, especially new rules, although I haven't actually tried it myself so I couldn't say more than what I've heard from others.

agree with the comment above - you are not going to bulk lifting heavy.

I lift heavy, low reps. I eat at a moderate calorie deficit to lose some bodyfat, and take protein supplements, createn and others. I have been gaining progressively in strength, and raising my weight levels used. Been lifting for a few years, lifting heavy/low rep for the last two years.

Just completed my inch measurements for the last 30 days.
    Calves went down an inch. (I have always had muscly calves that do not fit my boots - but they do now, after lifting heavy weights)
    Thighs went down an inch.
    Waist and hips both went down a half inch.
    Back/chest/upper rib cage broadened a bit, 1/2 inch.
    Biceps is slightly larger at 1/2 inch increase.
    Neck same, forearm same.

At the same time frame, I have gone down a full clothing size, both upper and lower body. I am tighter and leaner looking in the mirror.

If I do not flex, you do not "see" a muscle bulge, though I do have some light definition on arms, shoulders, abs, hips and thighs.

I am currently in a lowering body fat phase, not a bulking phase.

If you are seeing bulk - you are seeing the fat on top of and mixed with your improved muscle tone. As you lower the bodyfat, the "bulk" goes away, as the body fat levels drop, leaving tighter leaner muscle behind.

Even if you want to actively add on additional muscle mass, it is NOT easy, and takes quite a long time, and very specific routine, including eating in calorie excess to provide the tools needed to build muscle. Most women find it hard to even add on 1-2 lbs of muscle a month, when they are actively trying.

You can't "accidentally" get bulky and "muscly. :)
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    And what are the best types of lifts to do for the first while? So far I stick to lunges and squats with weights, bent over rows, chest flys, triceps and bi stuff, overhead press...

...I'm starting to think I may just need to go out and get the New Rules for Lifting for Women..would that guide me for what I'm looking for?

YES! Get the book :-)

This is how I was introduced to lifting and it was a great starter. I've never stopped since then. I lift heavy (as heavy as I can; considering my frame) and I'm definitely NOT bulky (would love to have bigger muscles, but it's not that easy for woman... *sobs*; I'm working on it though!).

Don't be afraid to lift HEAVY, like other posters said, you will not get bulky. It's incredibly hard for a woman to get 'bulky' naturally and it will not happen overnight. If you don't like how your body is changing, you can always stop (I'm pretty sure you will not, though). I'm the opposite of bulky, but I've managed to put on a fair amount of muscles with hard work. Honestly, just lift heavy :)
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options

I found that the other day actually and meant to look at it more! Maybe I'll do both, get the book and see what Jamie's program is...

I am doing this program right now. I think it's a great program but I wouldn't use this program to get started with lifting just because it has a lot of different exercices and after 4 weeks you're working out 6x a week for 45min-1h30 each time. It may not be for everyone.

I would start by using New Rules and switch to Jamie's plan once you're done. But that's just me :)