Lentil and Chicken Soup

Options
_SusieQ_
_SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
I got this recipe from http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/01/lentil-and-chicken-soup-3-pts.html. I made a few modifications (at the bottom) so my calorie counts are a little different. Best lentil soup I have ever eaten and probably the best soup of any kind I have ever made.

Lentil And Chicken Soup
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 8 • Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups • Points: 2 pts
Calories: 126.3 • Fat: 0.8 g • Protein: 15.8 g • Carb: 14.1 g • Fiber: 5.0 g

1 lb dried lentils
3 small chicken breast halves on the bone, skin and fat removed
2 chicken bullion (I like Maggi)
1 packet Sazon (in Latin section)
1 small onion
4 scallions
3 cloves garlic
1 tomato
1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
8 cups water

In a large pot combine lentils, chicken, water and chicken bullion. Boil, covered over medium-low heat until chicken is cooked, about 15 minutes. Remove chicken from the bone and shred, return to pot.

Meanwhile, in a mini chopper, finely chop onions, scallions, cilantro, garlic, and tomato. Add to the lentils with sazon and cook 15 more minutes, or until lentils are soft. (Add more water if needed)

*My modifications:
-I used leftover rotisserie chicken instead of chicken breasts listed
-I added about 1 extra cup of water at the end to thin it out a bit
-I added 5-6 baby new potatoes diced up.
-I ended up with 7 servings of about 1 3/4-2 cups each.

After plugging everything into the recipe builder I came up with 7 servings, per serving:
221 calories, 45 carbs, 2 gm fat

Replies

• parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    Ooh, that looks great. I love soup and the weather right now is perfect for it.
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    YUM!
  • tinkerbek
    tinkerbek Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    mmmmm i want lentil soup now!
  • _SusieQ_
    Options
    Marie - I ALMOST made your black bean soup, but then went with the lentil (mostly b/c it was faster!) LOL
    I will probably be making the black bean next!

Bek - would be very easy to make veg friendly, leave out the chicken and use Vegetable broth. The cilantro and the sazon I think is what made it so yummy!
  • amandaguzman81
    amandaguzman81 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This sounds delicious!!!!! Thanks for sharing.
  • _SusieQ_
    Options
    I've had a couple people ask about the sazon. I use Goya, which I have found in the Latin food section of Wal-Mart. Here is a link to the site to see what it looks like. I'm sure any brand would work, this is just what I have.

http://www.thelatinproducts.com/goya-coriander-and-annatto-low-sodium-3-52-oz/