If I eat 1200 calories a day, and work out which burns 300-4

Options
2»

Replies

• Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion... DO NOT EAT them if you are NOT hungry... Listen to your body only you know your body no matter who says what you are the one that is either hungry or satisfied. But do not just eat them for the hell of it. Losing weight is all about truly listening to your body and seeing if you need food or not. If you are extra hungry that day cause you burnt that X amount of calories eat them :)

How well has listening to your body got you? Are you here to loose weight? Were you listening to your body when you overate and got fat?

Most people here are using MFP as a tool to understand their bodies. The math for most people puts it into perspective of what our bodies need...because we dont have a clue how to fuel it obviously- or we wouldnt have been overweight in the first place. This idea eat when your hungry is nice...but what kind of advice is that to someone who is trying to figure out their own body.

Honestly do the math. Figure out how much your burning dont eat over the calorie burns. The numbers dont lie. Until you know your body well enough to know what it needs for fuel listening to our bodies is only part of it. Example being: My body was telling me I wanted more food at dinner. I stopped eating after my meal was gone drank some water and in an hour realized my body was lieing...it was all in my head...I was not hungry anymore.... but listening to my body I would have over ate for sure. Obviously if in an hour your still hungry eat a healthy snack...but it takes time to reprogram our bodies for this healthy lifestyle...its used to overeating and sometimes plays tricks on us...

Do the math. Measure food. Eat half the calories of exercise...do the math fuel the body...put in the time and effort...weight will come off... promise.
  • spmcavoy1
    spmcavoy1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    So,

Say you're supposed to NET 1200 calories
    Then say you work out and your REAL calorie burn is 300
    1200 in -300out = 900. You're NET is only 900.
    You need to feed yourself those other 300 calories to get to 1200

I personally only log 70% of the calories I get on my Heart Rate Monitor so that I can ensure I'm not over estimating (FYI, MFP has doubled my HRM count for certain activities, so I suggest a HRM as a first choice, followed by a machine, then MFP as a last resort). I also don't weigh my food all of the time, so I under-log my burns to compensate.

If you feel your calorie burned counts are over estimated, only log 70%, or just 50% of the burn the "reader" (HRM, machine, MFP) says.

Doctors say 1200/day just to be safe, but I feel like if you're AVERAGING 1200/day you're fine. If I was to take a day long hike, I could conceivably burn 1000 calories. Usually I get stuffed at ~1800 calories.
    1800 in -1000 out=800 net. (400 below goal)
    On high burn days, I'm usually hungry the following days, so I'd tack that extra 400 calories onto the next day or 300/100 OR 200/200 added on to the next two days.

(800+1600)/2=1200 per day
    OR
    (800+1500+1300)/3=1200 per day.

If you have trouble getting the calories in, go with full fat whole food options (whole milk is only like 50 calories more per cup), add some nut butters (good fats and protein), etc.
  • torchita
    torchita Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you so very much for this answer... i was asking everyone and no one could tell me..i do how ever have a problem.. i was allowed 1300 cals a day and did eat them but i was also burning off 1300 cals a day and did not lose a lb.. i was wondering why becz i did measure and weight my food so i wouldnt go over and swam an hour each day aswell as work out doing cardio anther hour.. i was working out two hours a day and eating the 1300 calories and not losing a lb.. can you tell me what i did wrong?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,092 Member
    Options
    It's not that it's not SAFE to eat less than 1200 calories, but your body will not use calories efficiently if you are not giving it enough. You can still be fine only eating 800 to 1000 calories per day, but your body will go into shut-down mode where it stores everything you eat. That's when you get less weight loss. It is MUCH better to eat your 1200 calories AND your burned calories from exercise. Your body will burn calories more efficiently. :o)

This is nonsense

Your body will not go into shut down mode and create less weight loss if you eat under 1200.
  • dll70087
    dll70087 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand is if I eat the calories back then I would go over all the nutrition goals. I am doing 1200 calories and burning off 400-600 per day. If I eat those calories back then I go over on Protein, carbs and fat. It makes no sense to me. Myfitness adjusts the calories, but doesn't adjust the nutrition goals.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Holy necro thread, Batman!

To answer your question though - it doesn't matter if you go over macros as long as you stay within your calories. Macros don't matter for weightloss.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    dll70087 wrote: »
    What I don't understand is if I eat the calories back then I would go over all the nutrition goals. I am doing 1200 calories and burning off 400-600 per day. If I eat those calories back then I go over on Protein, carbs and fat. It makes no sense to me. Myfitness adjusts the calories, but doesn't adjust the nutrition goals.

You might want to check your settings. I think it's different in premium, but anytime I log exercise both the calories and macros are adjusted accordingly.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    dll70087 wrote: »

It does adjust your goals, so you wouldn’t go over all three unless you went over your calories