NEED HELP! Any advice...

Options
would be greatly appreciated.

I have been tracking calories for about 3 weeks now and my weight continues to fluctuate between 1.5 lbs. My husband and I are currently doing P90X (since the last week of Dec) and I also get on the treadmill at least 5-6 times a week (vigorous workout). I am exclusively breastfeeding, so I have to be really careful with the calories to protect my milk production. I followed all the advice to eat back my exercise calories and I have been doing that, but I will then gain a half pound here and there then eventually lose it (so frustrating). I can't get past a 3 lb loss. So, last night I decided to try something different, I didnt eat back all of my excercise calories and now I am 1.5 pounds lighter. This came at a price though because my breast milk isn't as plentiful this morning(sorry guys if this is "tmi" :)--what should I do?!!? I definitely will not continue to do this because breastmilk is like liquid gold and my son has to have it, but I can't seem to find the right caloric intake. I enjoy excercising and I feel great afterwards--my tummy is flatter and I have loss a few inches. I have a HRM, but it doesn't provide the # of calories burned, but I am staying in my fat burning target zone--is there a way to calculate calories burned?...so right now, I estimate for the p90X workout.

Please help and feel free to look at my food diary for suggestions.

This site is amazing--thank you!!

Replies

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    First off, just because you cut back yesterday and lost 1.5lbs this morning doesn't mean that is a loss that will stick. The only real way to tell if something works is to give it time. Our weight can flucuate throughout the day or throughout the week and that's why it's recommended to only weigh yourself once per week at the same time, same day, under the same circumstances.

I would suggest you eat back your calories burned through your exercise. Might be good to under estimate your calories burned so that you aren't over eating if you eat back some. Find out what you BMR is (it's under the TOOLS tab) and make that your goal to eat along with extra calories burned from exercise.

You're first goal should be to eat enough to not affect your milk supply. I know you want to lose weight but the milk supply should be the first priority. Also, you said you're losing inches but not lbs.... sometimes you won't see a loss on the scale because you are building muslce with the amount of exercise you do. Muscle weighs more than fat so you are probably losing fat but gaining muscle and therefore not seeing a loss on the scale but seeing a loss of inches.