lower sodium meals at restaurants

Options
Which meals/dishes do you order?

Replies

• vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I usually look for grilled dishes, they are often only lightly salted, but unfortunately things like chicken usually are the salt added variety. No added salt meats and chickens are coming on the market but slowly.
    Salads of course but careful with the dressing, always order on the side, it helps you know how much you consume and have some idea how much sodium.
    A lot of chain restaurants have their nutrients online so you could check first.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I have never seen this rare and elusive low sodium meal at a restaurant. Drink lots of water before and afterward!
  • davecreed
    davecreed Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have never seen this rare and elusive low sodium meal at a restaurant. Drink lots of water before and afterward!

lol yeah pretty much...you wont see it much even in a grocery store in the frozen or canned food section these days lol. I cheated on week with sushi and was horrified to see 1500mg of sodium in my meal...before i added the soy sauce LOL...even good old cottage cheese has made the moderation list for me...i eat greek yogurt more often now...stupid sodium lol :)
  • TomsFZ1
    TomsFZ1 Posts: 12
    Options
    The only decent low-sodium restaurant meal I've ever been able to find is at one of our local Chinese/Japanese places. They have a steamed chicken and broccoli dish that is not seasoned in any way. It comes with plain white rice. They also make it with shrimp instead of chicken. It does come with a brown sauce on the side, which I imagine is very high in sodium, but I just dip my fork in it, don't pour it on top.

I know it sounds boring, especially compared with something like General Tso's Chicken, but it's actually pretty tasty. The knowledge that I'm not blowing my eating plan must make it taste better... :tongue:

You might want to check your local Chinese place and see if they have it, or can make it for you.
  • Brittypop
    Options

Haha, ain't that the truth!!
  • phoenikia
    phoenikia Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    thanks for all your comments & suggestions ;-)

Most of the Chinese & Japanese restaurants I visit serve high sodium dishes where I live, but I'll see if I can get any lower sodium meals like the one suggested in the thread. I have been really thirsty/bloated/not feeling great after Japanese/Chinese/Thai/Indian restaurant meals lately, and I'm guessing it's a combination of the fat & salt in the restaurant versions. I'm fine with Indian or Thai food cooked from scratch at home.

Thanks also for the tips re: salad & grilled chicken. Have been eating a lot of salad and grilled chicken lately ;-) But it seems to finally be paying off!