Who else hates exercise?

Options

Replies

• knovello82
    knovello82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I would ask yourself why you hate it.

Bored? Do 10 minutes per machine. Do 3 machines and you already have a 30 minute workout.

Time constraints? "Working out for 20 minutes at high intensity is better than 1 hour on the elliptical reading a magazine." (quote from Jackie Warner, personal trainer).

Or do weight lifting? Dumbbells and right exercises will create more muscle which will increase your metabolism.

I believe that exercising is a mind game. So, is motivation.

Yup, my gym has an entire area that's set up like curves. The machines are in a circle, and I do each machine for a couple of minutes. I do running on the tredmill in between circuits. Almost every time at some point in the middle I think, "man do I hate this."

I have also been trying kickboxing videos at home. They go fast & last 30-40 minutes. They are hard and I can really feel the burn, but once again at somepoint I look at the chick on the tv & shout "Shut up B****"
  • AlexTrumpeter
    AlexTrumpeter Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it terribly. I hated people looking at me. I know enjoy exercising. I have found yoga to be the best because it works on looking in and everyone in the class is focusing on their own thing rather than looking at you. I could hardly make it to the end of my block at first, but I can now jog for miles. I hate running, but love yoga and lifting.

I have found that anything with a friend, whether it be lifting, running, or yoga, is better and easier to do, as there is an added social aspect.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I would ask yourself why you hate it.

Bored? Do 10 minutes per machine. Do 3 machines and you already have a 30 minute workout.

Time constraints? "Working out for 20 minutes at high intensity is better than 1 hour on the elliptical reading a magazine." (quote from Jackie Warner, personal trainer).

Or do weight lifting? Dumbbells and right exercises will create more muscle which will increase your metabolism.

I believe that exercising is a mind game. So, is motivation.

Yup, my gym has an entire area that's set up like curves. The machines are in a circle, and I do each machine for a couple of minutes. I do running on the tredmill in between circuits. Almost every time at some point in the middle I think, "man do I hate this."

I have also been trying kickboxing videos at home. They go fast & last 30-40 minutes. They are hard and I can really feel the burn, but once again at somepoint I look at the chick on the tv & shout "Shut up B****"

Even if I love what I'm doing for exercise, I still want to scream at the TV! :) Hard work requires swearing! :)
  • ceilidh92
    ceilidh92 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I KNOW I'm getting stronger and have more endurance but I just hate it!!! I mainly do it to earn more calories because I do LOVE food!!!

Yep, me too!

I hear about the people that need to eat back their calories that they excercised off. I wish I was that lucky! I have my meals and by midday, I need to plan to do some activity I really don't feel like doing just to have a few calories reserved for the rest of the day & for dinner. So my activities are driven by needing to bring down the calorie count into range of what I enjoy eating. Argh!
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I hate it! But I do it... or try to. My Fitbit has been helping me this week, though...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice so far. The only thing I haven't tried is classes at my gym. Unfortunately Zumba is only during the week while I'm at work, or on Sunday morning. I have tried to get myself to go Sunday morning and I never do, because I consider that my relaxation day. Even if I went, it's only 1 day a week so I figure it's not worth it.

If that 1 day a week helps you to find the "one thing" you love to do ..... then it's totally worth it.

My motivation was this: "Bingo Wings" you know the flabby arms that still keep waving long after you've stopped. Yikes! Older people (me) get really flabby with no exercise. I finally exercise regularly now.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    you probably need orthotics or better shoes. That used to happen to me, but I am lucky and my bf's mom is a podiatrist. I no longer have achy feet in the morning :)
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I don't hate exercise. I hate the ache in my feet when I get up to walk to the other room or when I get out of bed in themorning. I only have this discomfort when I exercise, wether it's walking, playing the wii or spending time on the elliptical.

you probably need orthotics or better shoes. That used to happen to me, but I am lucky and my bf's mom is a podiatrist. I no longer have achy feet in the morning :)
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    You've tried all sorts? I find that hard to believe. Try EVERYTHING, swimming, mma, dancing, rugby or what ever, you just need to find something you like, or change your attitude.
  • ADobs
    ADobs Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I also absolutely loathe exercising. This past summer I cancelled my gym membership (which I also hated going to), and started climbing stairs by my house daily, and then started walking at the beach with my dog (on top of the stair climbing) and then adding in rollerblading and sometimes doing all 3 in one day!

What kept me going was seeing my weight go down, and even though I felt good after working out, I still absolutely hated and dreaded each workout! I just put in my head that this is something I had to do, especially if I wanted to continue to be healthy, eat the foods I wanted and yet still keep the weight off. I'm just not made to love working out like some people so for me it was just something I had to do.

now that I'm not active at all, except for the occasional walk, the weight hs begun to creep back up and I still hate working out lol.

Now I must say, that I would much rather climb stairs or go for a walk, than spend 5 minutes at a gym.
  • ADobs
    ADobs Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Correction - one thing I did actually enjoy doing was hot yoga! whether it helped me lose weight is debatable, however, it made me feel great. too bad it's crazy expensive and I had to stop.

and I know what people mean when they say find something you love and it won't be so bad, I did this and while I still hate exercising, doing something I somewhat enjoyed made my workouts bearable.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I used to, especially running. Now I don't hate it as much. It feels like I'm being productive, I can track my progress, and I've realized that it's only in like 20 minute incraments, so I'm not really missing out on anything doing it. One kind of exercise I didn't mind even at my most hating exercise time is these NY Ballet dvds, they don't even feel like you're doing exercise, but it's actually pretty difficult!
  • MamaChunk
    MamaChunk Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I hate to exercise. It's not fun, and I don't like being sore afterwards. I try to make it fun. I play Wii fit, but not as often as I should. I think I have a hard time exercising because I do it by myself. I wish i had some one else to workout with. That may make it easier.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I don't care much for exercise but I love training. I consider everything I do as training for the things I love. Meaning, an hour on the bike at home helps me train for long trips on the bike this summer. Time on the elliptical helps my endurance, climbing stairs builds the muscles I need to hike with a 30 lb daypack for miles at a time. Yoga helps train my entire body to work and feel better. Ultimately, all of it is training to look and feel amazing.

Attitude is everything.
  • MamaChunk
    MamaChunk Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have tried pretty much every exercise that's out there, but I do not get the chemical high.

Oh cool so how much did you Clean&Jerk

How much was your turkish get up

How did you like farmer walks

Much many kips did you get in a row

How did you like those natural GHR's

Did you use a sumo stance when you flipped tires

I really doubt you've "tried pretty much every exercise"

I thought this was supposed to be a positive, supporting website. Try helping, not shoving how much better you are than everyone else down our throats.
  • ceilidh92
    Options
    I wish I could ride my bike more. But being as big on top as I am and having virtually no butt (for padding to sit on a bike), it gets to be an agonizing ride. I think I would actually enjoy riding more if it didn't hurt as much as it does.

AND don't tell me about getting a bigger softer seat. I've went through 6 seats already and none much better. I've even tried sitting in a recumbent bike and then my butt doesn't hurt as much but my knee go through hell and overall I don't feel that comfortable.

But I would be open to other thoughts if not involving trying another seat...
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I wish I could ride my bike more. But being as big on top as I am and having virtually no butt (for padding to sit on a bike), it gets to be an agonizing ride. I think I would actually enjoy riding more if it didn't hurt as much as it does.

AND don't tell me about getting a bigger softer seat. I've went through 6 seats already and none much better. I've even tried sitting in a recumbent bike and then my butt doesn't hurt as much but my knee go through hell and overall I don't feel that comfortable.

Do NOT get a bigger softer seat. Try some good padded shorts and honestly, the only thing that makes the pain go away is more time riding and getting used to it.
  • ceilidh92
    Options
    So the tailbone hurting for days afterwards is what I need to endure along with numbness in the legs for an hour or so after riding? This is where I question if riding a bike is right for me. Maybe just stick to Square Dancing.

But... The padded bike shorts are an option that I thought about at one time, but didn't do it. So maybe I can try that. Thanks
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it but as I've become more active I have to do something or I feel like I have too much energy. I used to sit aroundall day but now I barely sit down for more than 30 mins or I get bored and restless.
    I usually do 60 mins of cardio, either on my kinect or a DVD. Starting running with some friends this week too which is exciting. :-)
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I have tried pretty much every exercise that's out there, but I do not get the chemical high.

Oh cool so how much did you Clean&Jerk

How much was your turkish get up

How did you like farmer walks

Much many kips did you get in a row

How did you like those natural GHR's

Did you use a sumo stance when you flipped tires

I really doubt you've "tried pretty much every exercise"

I thought this was supposed to be a positive, supporting website. Try helping, not shoving how much better you are than everyone else down our throats.

I am not showing how much better I am in all actuality, I am just pointing out that she hasn't tried everything, and now she has a list of things she probably hasn't tried. Who knows maybe she will love those random exercises, or maybe she will hate them and keep having a negative outlook on exercise.

Regardless i don't like having a "i hate exercise" topic on the fitness and exercise board, it feels counter productive.