Eating Late--really detrimental?

Options
124»

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    It's totally bad. Feeding after midnight will turn your Mogwai in to a Gremlin.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    To the OP, I would look at all of your responses, then look at the results from those posting. My personal opinion, I would take the advice of those whose tickers have moved and have more than a couple dozen posts over those who don't.

Again, MY opinion and not up for debate.
  • Ilbrantdai
    Options

Hahaha! Thank you for informing me!
  • Ilbrantdai
    Options
    To the OP, I would look at all of your responses, then look at the results from those posting. My personal opinion, I would take the advice of those whose tickers have moved and have more than a couple dozen posts over those who don't.

Good point. I did give in the other night and ate something pretty late. I will say, I could feel the extra food the next morning, and saw it on the scale the next day.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

I have always been in excellent shape, though...so my ticker hardly moves (nor should it).
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Was stateing thru my experience, (reality, reading, listening to trainers) that I have been told not to eat carbs past 7pm. According to Kris Gethin, C.E.O. of bodybuilding.com in his diet, you can have carbs for a post workout meal in the evening and that is it. Its laid out in his book. Body by Design, the last carb meal is at 3p.m.

Im not saying its for everyone, but I have found it beneficial to my diet and training. I have seen results.

In conclusion, I dont eat carbs late at night (when cutting).....just saying.

Right I get what you're saying and I have no problems with you doing what works for you. However, you're on a low carb diet, how do you know that what you're seeing in the way of results wouldn't be exactly the same if you did eat the same amount of carbs per day but with some of them coming after 7:00? Kris Gethin is a great body building resource, however he's not a doctor and doesn't have nearly the level of education that would qualify him as an expert on the topic. So while his overall diet plan may work (and I don't dispute that at all, obviously it worked for him and apparently you) it doesn't mean that there are not aspects of it that are simply unnecessary, like avoiding carbs after 7. His plan working for you and him doesn't prove that eating carbs after 7 will make someone fat or inhibit fat loss in any way.

There is however clinical evidence that would suggest his approach specific to avoiding carbs before bed is unnecessary.
  • queenblomberg
    Options
    Your metabolism is higher during the day and your body prepares for sleep at night and lowers. It shouldnt affect your weightloss to much, but there is a difference. Thats why your larger calorie intake should be breakfast. Thats what my nutristionist told me anyway..:-)
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism is higher during the day and your body prepares for sleep at night and lowers. It shouldnt affect your weightloss to much, but there is a difference. Thats why your larger calorie intake should be breakfast. Thats what my nutristionist told me anyway..:-)

With respect, we've seen a lot of "my nutritionist said" things on here, and people think their nutritionist 100% right all the time, when modern science has disproved a lot of what they say. The reason is that they learnt their stuff years ago, and some dont keep up to date. For example mine said that coffee dehydrates. I did my research to prove her wrong, and she has since read the same research and changed her "advice" to her patrons.

Meal timing for most of is irrelevant. The only reason it got a bad rep is that people were eating their daily calories through the day, THEN eating more at night, creating a calorie excess, and wrongly blaming it on the time they ate, and not the total amount consumed.

80% of my calories are after 10pm, with 500 coming right before bed.
  • badbull69
    badbull69 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Was stateing thru my experience, (reality, reading, listening to trainers) that I have been told not to eat carbs past 7pm. According to Kris Gethin, C.E.O. of bodybuilding.com in his diet, you can have carbs for a post workout meal in the evening and that is it. Its laid out in his book. Body by Design, the last carb meal is at 3p.m.

Im not saying its for everyone, but I have found it beneficial to my diet and training. I have seen results.

In conclusion, I dont eat carbs late at night (when cutting).....just saying.

Right I get what you're saying and I have no problems with you doing what works for you. However, you're on a low carb diet, how do you know that what you're seeing in the way of results wouldn't be exactly the same if you did eat the same amount of carbs per day but with some of them coming after 7:00? Kris Gethin is a great body building resource, however he's not a doctor and doesn't have nearly the level of education that would qualify him as an expert on the topic. So while his overall diet plan may work (and I don't dispute that at all, obviously it worked for him and apparently you) it doesn't mean that there are not aspects of it that are simply unnecessary, like avoiding carbs after 7. His plan working for you and him doesn't prove that eating carbs after 7 will make someone fat or inhibit fat loss in any way.

There is however clinical evidence that would suggest his approach specific to avoiding carbs before bed is unnecessary.

You are correct, there are many different factors in dealing with weight loss. What works for me, may not work for you. If people suggest eating carbs late at night I would baulk at it. Then I would research it. Isn't that what we do. We research, type a subject, get feedback and see what works for us.

No, Kris Gethin not a doctor.

But even when I first started getting into the thought of Bodybuilding my first trainers, that are free, run a hell of an organization, sent me a diet. Even in this well laid out diet, they pretty much kept evening carbs to a min. Unless they were carbing up or carb cycling. Then you got a ton of them on that night. Again, this is for competition. Competition (cutting diets) are harsh, strict, no absolutely no cheating.

So thru most of my training, this is what I know...cutting, no carbs after 7, or 3 if doing Body by Design. When trying to get muscle, eat ...eat...eat..

But.....my girlfriend will have carbs at night and she still loses weight...

sorry got carried away...to answer your question, No I dont know if I would lose the same with eating carbs at night. I have 3.5 weeks left in this phase. Maybe I'll try it on my week off and get back to ya.
  • ComeAroundSundown
    ComeAroundSundown Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The time that you eat doesn't affect weight loss. I think the "don't eat after (insert time here)" myth arose due to people eating/snacking on high calorie foods at night, which obviously is going to cause you to gain if it ends up putting you in a caloric surplus. Put simply, caloric deficit = weight loss, and the time at which you consume calories has no effect on this.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

Best answer yet.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: