Is it bad to change your goals?

Options
I am 6"0 and currently I am at about 246 lbs down from 275. The difference is amazing. I have had so many compliments that you wouldn't believe them all. My recommended weight is 180 lbs based on my height. I don't believe that I could ever get to that goal and if I did I would probably look sick. I had initially set my goal at 200, but actually I would be perfectly happy at 230. Is that bad? 235 is the lowest I have ever reached in the past and I was thrilled.

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    230 lbs for a 6 foot guy is obese unless you're a pro bodybuilder.

Your LBM is close to 150-160 lbs +/- 10 lbs.

But in the end, it's all about what makes you happy. If you're happy carrying around 50 lbs of fat on your body, it's your choice.
  • smiles4support
    Options
    GOOD LUCK my dear! Keep it up!
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    It is not bad to change your goals. MFPs defaults are just that, a default for your age/height etc. Adjusting your goals to better tailor to your wants and needs is not a bad thing at all. Congratulations on your success so far dropping the 30lbs! Good luck getting to your personal goal of 230 and if you decide to go for more that will just have to be up to you. 180 would not be too small for you. That would put you in the healthy range and your body fat % would be much much lower than at 230.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    No not at all! My boyfriend who is 6'1" read somewhere he should be like 180 or something and he didn't like how he looked then so he decided he wants to be 200 (he is 215 now). If you felt good at that weight I would definitely change it! :)
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    put your goals where you feel comfortable, you can change them when you get to 230 if you decide you want to go lower, and if not thats totally up to you too!
  • noiva
    noiva Posts: 94
    Options
    Get to 230 and see how you feel! You can always adjust, or, if you're happy, stay there.

Also... RTR!!!
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Totally Agree!!!!!!!
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a bad thing to change your goals. According to the BMI scale, I should be in the 160s for my height. I too would look sick at that weight with my super stocky frame. I have set what I think is MY ideal weight. I've already lost 50lbs and am liking my body. I am more fit and able to do more things athletically than I ever was as an athelete in HS. And besides, I've NEVER aspired to be rail thin anyway. I like having a curvy figure. At the end of the day, it is about what YOU think will make you happy and comfortable in your skin. Best of Luck!
  • emcohen
    emcohen Posts: 46
    Options
    Get to a point that you feel healthy and never listen to the recommendations of a computer. I have the same issue...i'm 5'10" and it tells me I should weigh anywhere from 160-180. Right now I'm at 218 and my goal is 200. There's no way I could sustain anything under 200 and my body frame wouldn't support it. If you have any muscles whatsoever, those goals aren't realistic.
  • ironband
    ironband Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I kind of went the other way. I started at 260 lbs. At 6'4", with the upper end of my healthy BMI being 205, I said "there's no way! I'd look ridiculous!" So my initial goal was 220. After I got down to 220, I took a look in the mirror and thought "Gee, I really could still stand to lose ten pounds or so...", so I adjusted my goal to 210. Now I've hit that, and I'm saying to myself "Maybe I do have five more pounds to give..."

If 230 "seems" right to you, I say set it as a goal. When you get there, reassess and proceed accordingly.

All the best!

Andre
  • cpow81
    cpow81 Posts: 114
    Options
    I agree with the OP's. See how you feel at 230-235 and reasses your goal then.

I had my goal set and when I got there I decided to go down another 10lbs and was successful.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    BMI for men tends to be skewed due to their muscle mass. I read a few years back that Brad Pitt and George Clooney would both be considered obese according to BMI. And to use a real world example, my cubicle neighbor is a young very athletic guy and when he took our company's annual fitness assessment, they told him he was obese.

My point is, you can't just go by height and weight...especially for guys. See if your gym or doctor's office can test your body fat percentage. Also take measurements.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    No it is not a bad thing to change your goals in fact it's a very good thing! When we start our journey, we usually set some arbitrary weight goal. We use any number of sources for making that number our goal but the reality is very few of us really care about the number. In our own minds we use that number as a gauge but what most want is to look and feel better. We have an image in our heads of what we want to look like. THAT should be our goal, not a number on the scale. The scale is a tool that can help us measure our progress. It's good to set a weight goal, but as we lose weight and realize maybe that goal wasn't realistic or maybe we're not going to achieve our ideal image at that weight, we have to be willing and able to reassess our goals. That's just a healthy approach in my opinion.
  • becky2967
    becky2967 Posts: 124
    Options
    im a women but the doctor wont use the bmi thing for me either.. i do though because idealy i want to be at the normal weight for my height. im 5'9 & at present i weigh 235lb. (down from nearing 260) but ive ;lost so many inchs im a soild frame my gp is happy if i get to 200 ( for my bmi i should be 150 ) so im gonna cary on untill i feel im their. good luck everyone. x
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    I'm like you, I think the recommended weights by height from the insurance company charts is low. A muscular, lean 200 pounds is my goal and I'm 6'0" as well. It's what your comfortable at I think.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Not at all. Stop where you look your best and ignore the scale.
  • IzzyandBri_mommy
    Options
    My husband is 6 foot and 212 and very happy with the way he looks and feels and in the Army so he is very active. I think your goal is a great goal. You might change your mind and want to do more. I set mine to mini goals and then adjust as I go.
  • JChalkski
    Options
    The amount all depends on how much muscle mass you have. You are 230 and pure fat, then that is not healthy and yes you would need to continue down to 180, if you are 230 and very muscular then it may be ok, you need to get your bmi checked
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'm 6' 3" and started at 270. I'm at 180 now (in the healthy BMI range) and feel great. For a while some people (like my wife) thought I was "too skinny", but I've added a bit more muscle to make up for the lost fat and don't hear that so much any more (e.g. from my wife).

I went from obese to overweight to the top end of the healthy weight range.... that was my first goal. Once I got there, I asked myself "Do you really want to be just on the verge of being overweight again?" Of course the answer was no and so I adjusted my goals to shoot for the middle of that range.

Another point of contact between your story and mine is that I NEVER thought I would get below 220. That's the lowesr I had ever been when dieting in the past. My goals now are to be within 5 lbs of 175 for the rest of my life, and to be toned and strong for as long as I can be.
  • Mama_CAEI
    Mama_CAEI Posts: 235
    Options
    Baby steps. Smaller goals are easier to achieve and will give you a sense of accomplishment. Then you can re-evaluate. My husband is 5'10 but has a small-ish frame. His highest weight was 205, but he didn't think that was a problem weight. He'd say he wanted to lose 10 lbs. Then when he'd get there, he'd say, okay, another 10, etc. Now he's at 165 (and a healthy BMI) and feels fantastic and can't believe he was ever at 205. You may decide on "a few more pounds" when you get to your goal too. :) (Nehushtan: a few people have remarked that my husband is "too skinny" as well: but I think people say that because they are so used to seeing the "old" you.)