c25k

Options
hey! I'm on the success message boards all the time looking for inspiration, and of course, I LOVE seeing the photos of everyone's transformations. I just realized today that I actually have something to post on here!

on January 1st 2012 I ran my very first 5k! outside! In the freezing cold! in Winnipeg Manitoba!
I ran in the Resolution Run on New Year's Day and it felt incredible. I started running about 3 or 4 months prior using the Couch to 5K training with Suz's podacsts (highly entertaining and a very useful tool) - when I started runnning I thought, "wow, this is never gonna happen - I don't have the stamina or the drive - I'm the laziest person and I hate aches and pain" but it turns out I was wrong! It all happened so gradually and now running for 35 mins straight doesn't even seem like that big of a deal!
I am really so very proud of myself.

I could never have done it without the support and encouragement of friends. The running community is incredibly welcoming - if any of you are thinking about running, go for it. It is great fitness and so rewarding. You will be unstoppable.

Replies

• RunTheDay
    Options
    what an inspirational post! Thanks for sharing :). I am on my last week of the couch to 5K, and had many of the same thoughts that you did in the beginning. I cant wait to run a 5K! Congrats on running a 5K, and again, thank you for sharing your success!
  • Beckypatrick
    Options
    You may or may not know about this site, Ladies--gypsyrunner.com, but it's a great site where you can get lots of cool stuff to keep you motivated (or at least that's how it would work for me). The decals are my fav! Congrats to both of you!
  • 5Btieden
    5Btieden Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Good for you :) Very inspiring! I was just able to get completely through week one after 2 weeks at it :) I loved reading your post because I am hoping some day I can type a post very similar!! Keep up the good work!!
  • pangela13
    pangela13 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, I am looking forward to a early spring 5k. Keep up the good work.
  • prettypooks
    prettypooks Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I did the Resolution Run too! But in Sudbury. :)

It was my first, and I was extremely proud to finish. I'll never stop now. Second 5K is in February, and I have 10K's planned for April and May.

Awesome NSV for you! Keep it up!
  • DEGiltz
    DEGiltz Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I just started the training schedule for C25K this week. Great to hear about your success!! I hope I get there too. : )
  • CRSE1214
    CRSE1214 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the motivation....I'm on Week 2 Day 2, but due to a burning sensation in the knee haven't finished yet. I'm hoping to be back at it this week.
  • icanmakepeople
    icanmakepeople Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If any of you out there are struggling with the training, just slow down. I used to think that "running" meant full throttle give it everything you've got - but was taught that stamina is more important than speed. I am a VERY slow runner (I think a 12 min mile is the fastest I've ever gone) but have found that plenty of people out there also run at this pace, and some even slower.

it's ok to be slow. you can work on speeding up as you go. don't push it, you might hurt yourself!
  • icanmakepeople
    icanmakepeople Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    finished a 10k on the weekend! 1hr14mins! pretty proud of myself. Onto the half marathon in June!
  • jennytaffe
    Options
    I'm just finishing week one tonight! Did you lose any weight while you did this program?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!