Sometimes its hard to take compaments from people

Options
I was out some girls last night. And my brother in law told me that if I keep lossing weight im going to blow away. What are you doing. I told him I workout every day for an hour. What do you say to that, Im only 163lbs. I plain on lossing 28 more pounds that will put me at 135.. If hes saying that wait until I hit my goal then what will they say. I just don't know what to say sometimes when I get complitments.. What do you say?

Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    "Thank you"
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    i like to here the complements, but some times i just don't know what to say back.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    "Thank you"

This.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    "Thank you so much for noticing" is another one you could use.:flowerforyou:
  • WickedMouse
    WickedMouse Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I just say
    "Yes, I know"

but that doesn't work for everyone, so typically a smile and a Thank you would suffice :)
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Thank you
    De nada
    Grazie
    arigatō gozaimasu
    Gratias tibi ago
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    "Thanks, I feel great."
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    "Thank you"

This.

Yes. This would be the correct response to a compliment.

If it's a jealous off-handed comment, that's another story.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Just say thank you and chuckle saying, "I surely will not blow away...unless of course we are in the middle of a tornado." I have a lot of people asking if I am done losing weight right now. I just tell them I am happy where I am weight wise, but I still have a lot of work to do to be as fit as I'd like to be.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Thanks is always in order.

If you're still over your normal BMI, you might let them know that you'd at least like to know what it feels like to be technically "normal"! That's not unrealistic.

Before I met my goal, I had a lady compliment me and say, "You're not going to lose any more, are you?" and I let her know I still had x amount of lbs to even be "normal"!
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    BACK ON TOPIC. I'm going to go the route that thinks this is entirely a motivational compliment ("I've noticed that you're trying, can see your progress, and want you to feel good about how far you've come!"), and I would say thank you in response. He may just want you to feel that your efforts and results are being noticed! I wouldn't take this as a bad thing. Lift your head, smile, and thank him for it. You've earned it!
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    "Thank you"

^^^^ This with a smile
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

I never used to get many compliments, but now that I am I am learning to accept them with a 'thank you' and smile.
    It can be hard, especially for me, sometimes I doubt the motive behind the compliment but that is all coming as I adjust to my new body type.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I simply say "Thank You" and if it's someone trying to be smarty about it - (like my son who would say... "Mom, if you lose anymore weight you are going to fall through your A**hole and disappear") I say - "That's my plan!" :-)
  • Lyndi4
    Lyndi4 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I usually say thank you as well. I have a hard time believing compliments sometimes, but I am getting better.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Like I said earlier, "thank you" is a great go-to response. If you make it a habit, it won't be awkward anymore.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    "Thank you"
    "I've been working at it, thank you for noticing"

I feel a bit uncomfortable with compliments, but they are nice to hear especially after working so hard. A lot of people gasp at the fact you want to lose more because they've only ever known you as heavy and when you lose a significant amount that's enough for them even if you aren't in the "healthy" range yet.

I'm sure there are many more comments along the way good and bad but "thank you" is always appropriate for either =]
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I was out some girls last night. And my brother in law told me that if I keep lossing weight im going to blow away. What are you doing. I told him I workout every day for an hour. What do you say to that, Im only 163lbs. I plain on lossing 28 more pounds that will put me at 135.. If hes saying that wait until I hit my goal then what will they say. I just don't know what to say sometimes when I get complitments.. What do you say?

Just saying thank you is the best way of handling compliments.
  • chanson104
    Options
    I agree that thank you is always appropriate, but it isn't always that simple. I've noticed that people that I haven't seen in a while have a tendency to go on and on about my weight loss. It can be a little uncomfortable.
  • speedyf
    speedyf Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options

I never used to get many compliments, but now that I am I am learning to accept them with a 'thank you' and smile.
    It can be hard, especially for me, sometimes I doubt the motive behind the compliment but that is all coming as I adjust to my new body type.

I think that's exactly what she meant. And I think we can all relate to that.