Time to Man Up

Options
Been hanging around for about 20 days. Tracking about 15 of those days. Started Jillian's 30DS but had to stop when I pulled my rotator cuff. Been using this time to track and see what makes me tick. Been reading some posts, looking at before and afters, and impressed with the desire and dedication so evident here. I'm well aware this isn't a diet but rather a life style change. And one I need to approach realistically.

Because this is so different from the way I've been living, I need to make a concentrated effort at making lasting changes. So I'm ready to develop my plan of attack; ie plan meals (I hate cooking), get recipes, plan exercise, BMR, calories... Something I can fall back on when life gets in the way and it would be easier to grab the first thing to eat or skip an exercise.

I've received great advice from a couple of MFP friends that I plan to incorporate. But I'm curious if anyone else had to approach this in the same way and what you find works for you.

Replies

• becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    It takes a total change in mindset to truly commit to this challenge. I struggled with weight for many years (still do to an extent), and it wasn't until I committed myself to change that the change happened. Check out my blog, and it gives helpful tools for success

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/iddreams/view/overcoming-the-obesity-mindset-194711
  • badbull69
    badbull69 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I had shoulder surgery in 2000, openned me up and pinned me! And not in a good way. First things first. Take care of that rotator cuff. You can plan a diet, ask someone if not sure, and start it. Your start to lose some weight, not as much as with exercise. You can still do cardio machines....walking running, mixing it up.

Healthy choices!!! Yes bad choices look good, but they "dont do the body good"! It will get easier the more you do it. Pic your day and lets get the party started.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Absolutely - my top tip for nailing it this time was planning and being organized!

Plan your week......Sunday's for me
    Go shopping to buy the items you need.....Sunday's for me
    Plan your day - I would log my whole day either the night before, or first thing in the morning
    Pack a bag with everything you need for the time you are away from home, snacks, lunch, pre-gym snack, post-gym protein shake
    Then adjust your food diary as the day happens.....
    Planning your day this way (including your exercise for the day) meant I could eat appropriately on the days I was burning big time in the evening, so I never had the omg - I still have to eat 800 calories at 9pm...

Because my week is planned I am also able to manage any catch ups with friends etc much better...

I
  • harlylena
    harlylena Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    All great ideas. Thank you!
  • stephlake
    stephlake Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I use my smart phone to send myself reminders and for accountability. Additonally, I surround myself with people that have the same ideals and goals as I do. For instance, at work we were discussing second hand smoke. I realized that none of my friends smoke that I hang out with. When I was a smoker, years and years ago, I took my work breaks ect with different people.

The past five years has been a rollercoaster of emotions and stress for me and the people closest to me. We have all discovered that when the going gets tough, the tough go to the gym. Sometimes I would like to take shots while on the treadmill, but I am pretty sure the YMCA would frown upon that..
  • harlylena
    Options
    Shots on the treadmill! hahaha!!!
  • harlylena
    Options
    A quick question: do you exercise before or after breakfast?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I have usually dropped weight just by watching what I eat. But as I get older that is not as easy to do any more. I joined here and started logging, thinking I was not eating very much (and I wasn't in quantity) but it was all stuff that was high in sugar, salt, calories. I was eating over 2,000 a day of just small junk stuff. So, I immediately started making healthier food choices. I had to hang around awhile to get really motivated to exercise. I just started 30DS. So far it is going good.

I have been doing 30DS before breakfast.
  • harlylena
    Options
    Hey deksgrl just accepted your friend request (how coudn't I w/ someone who gets 'bat wings' heehee) liked your reply here. May have questions cuz that's what I do!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Ask away. I'm not the most knowledgeable but will share what I found works for me. That is what much of this is all about, finding out what works for each person.