How to figure out calories...

Options
mfoster1019
mfoster1019 Posts: 152 Member
...in a serving of a recipe that you didn't make. For instance, if you go to someone's house and they make a meal, how do you figure out how many calories are in it? The only way I can think to figure this out is to ask them for the recipe and ask if they made any kind of additions/alterations to it, then add up the calories of each particular ingredient, then divide the recipe by how many servings to get the total. Sounds like a total PITA to me. But is this the only way to do it? I mean, I guess you could eyeball the ingredients and make a rough estimate of each of the calories...but then you end up being way off (either too many or too little). I feel this is going to be the hardest thing for me when tracking my calories.

Any tips?

Replies

• carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I would just search for it in the food database (like "meatloaf" or "chicken casserole" or whatever), make a good guess, over-estimate calories and call it good.....
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    If you feel comfortable asking them, asking for the exact recipe is the only way you are going to be able to work it out.

You can use the recipe function on here, just add in each ingredient and tell it how many portions, and it works it out for you.