GAINED 4 pounds eating right and HARD CORE exercise

Options
I recently joined the gym (Friday), and since then, I have burned about 3000 calories doing not only cardio but hard core weight lifting and toning exercises. I have generally stuck to about 1400-1500 calories/ day, but some of those have come from late night snacking. I weighed this morning, and I have GAINED 4 pounds since FRIDAY! I will say that my sodium intake has been a little high, but there is NO WAY I have eaten back all of the calories that I have burned PLUS some! This makes NO SENSE at all to me!

So frustrated right now.... please help. :(

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I wish I could gain four pounds in such a short amount of time. What's your secret?
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Based on what I see, you are not eating ENOUGH. Looks like you are netting around 700 to 800 per day. I highly doubt you actually gained 4 pounds in less than a week but I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you are not eating enough. You should be eating your allotment plus your exercise calories or the majority at least.

And please, don't buy into that muscle weighs more than fat; it is more dense so that is a cop out for those that will suggest it.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Hard exercise means you're likely storing water.
    Low calories means your body may be reluctant to let go of fat.

ETA: Moderate deficit and smart, efficient exercise is how to succeed at this. This means hitting the cardio and weights hard for 20-60 minutes a day. Too much and you go beyond the point of diminishing returns.
  • brandieb123
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat, if you are doing any strength training that could be some of the difference...muscle weighs more but takes up less space. Maybe you should take your mearsurements!!!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

ding ding ding!!! we have a winner!!!!!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Exactly.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-energy-balance-equation.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster- to a point- there are huge debates on to eat or not to eat your exercise calories. I am a big believer in following the needs of your body- if it is hungry from working out, feed it more but feed it well, etc.

Don't lose heart- I have been doing this for a while and have had the exact same thing happen to me several times- it usually ended with me in tears- only to have the following week's weight down below by a few lbs...it is most likely water- especially if you are just starting working out and working out hard, your muscles will retain a lot of water to help repair. Also, make sure you are drinking tons of water- that will combat that.

Stick with this- give it a couple of weeks- keep working out but listen to your body, too. Drink lots and lots of water. Watch the salt.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    It's not muscle gain. It's nearly impossible to gain muscle on a calorie deficit. You're probably just retaining some water =] watch the sodium and drink lots it should go back down.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I agree. You've definitely gained 4lbs of muscle since Friday.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    That often happens in the beginning. Stick to it and take measurements to comfort yourself until the scale starts moving. And they WILL start moving!!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

^^That and this.

BAM...end of story.
  • rainbowbuggy
    Options

ETA: Moderate deficit and smart, efficient exercise is how to succeed at this. This means hitting the cardio and weights hard for 20-60 minutes a day. Too much and you go beyond the point of diminishing returns.

EXCELLENT advice!
  • carolwisman
    Options
    Yes, a # is a #, but a # of lean tissue is SMALLER than a # of fat.
  • msjamartin
    Options
    Your body is adjusting to the new routine. I've seen weight vary by 5 lbs from day to day and not due to eating a ton of food. Gaining at the beginning of such and intense change is not uncommon. Stay consistent and dedicated. Your body will catch up and you will see a drop on the scales soon.
  • beautyreaps
    Options
    but some of those have come from late night snacking.
    You're probably late night snacking because you're not netting at least 1200 calories a day. Also, if you're snacking on high complex and processed carbs, then that'd be another reason you'd gain.
    I will say that my sodium intake has been a little high
    Two words: water retention. It's from the over exertion at the gym (your muscles are struggling to keep the water, they need it since they're composed of it [70%]). Add that to higher sodium levels AND under eating and you have the perfect storm, so to speak.
    but there is NO WAY I have eaten back all of the calories that I have burned PLUS some!
    Exactly, you haven't eaten back your calories and in this case, you really should. You don't have to eat them all back, but you do need to net at least 1200 cals a day. Otherwise you'll continue to eat at night and opt for high sodium foods as quick fixes for your apparent hunger pangs.

What to take from all of this: Don't over exert yourself (you'll store lactic acid and that'll make it next to impossible to lose weight), eat a net of at least 1200 a day and just relax. If you stress out, you'll gain weight. I doubt what you gained was muscle (sorry you just don't gain 4 lbs of muscle in a single weekend). Odds are it's just from retention from over exertion.
  • cPT_Helice
    Options

^^That and this.

BAM...end of story.

Yup yup yup!!! AND....... do not believe that you are not losing because you are gaining muscle unless you are actually body building, as in you can see yourself getting bigger!! Calorie deficit = not so much muscle built.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    It takes a long time to build muscle its NOT muscle
  • ronitabur
    ronitabur Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    1. MFP's calories burned is not accurate! The amount of calories burned is very individualized for each person. I could do the same exact workout as you, and I might burn more or less calories than you. Invest in a heart rate monitor. Although these are not 100% accurate, they are better than the numbers fed to you from the MFP files. Subtract at least 100 calories from the amount you burn during your workout, because your base rate is probably around 100 calories. For instance, just laying around watching t.v., doing nothing but breathing in and out... you'll burn somewhere around 100 calories per hour. So, if you burn 500 calories in 1 hour at the gym, then subtract your base rate, because this is already calculated into your daily food allowance. Burning 500 calories at the gym only earns you 400 extra calories in your day. MFP does not account for this.

2. You've just started so your body is reacting. It may be holding on to quite a bit of water - 4 or 5 pounds is not unusual. Don't worry, it will level out very soon. I suggest that you pack your scale in a box and pull out the tape measure instead. Don't weigh yourself if you feel that you can't handle the little ups and downs that you are going to inevitably experience.

3. Don't dring sports drinks - not even the diet ones. They have sodium that you don't need. These are made for hard core athletes. Drink water instead. Save the sports drinks for race day.
  • juliagulia624
    Options
    Did you have a body composition test done before you started working out and dieting? First of all, it would be very hard to gain four pounds of solid muscle in 5 days, but when you work with heavy weights, the scale will go up. I believe this is due to your muscles holding on to more water...well i dont know the exact science of it but I know the day or two after an intense weight lifting session I gain a few pounds. Do not freak out. You can not accurately gauge success in just 5 days. The body will do alot of funny things. I can gain 6 pounds in two days and lose it over the course of a few days. There are so many factors here such as sodium, TOM, water intake, carb intake, etc. So just keep doing what you are doing and wait a few weeks until to measure how you have been doing. Also, learn your body fat percentage and take measurements. This way in about a month if you have only lost a few pounds, you may have lost many more inches and gained some lean body mass and you will be able to much more accurately measure your progress. That being said, as someone else mentioned, you may not be eating enough. You dont want to go for more than a few days without netting at least 1200 calories or you wont lose weight as fast as you could if your defict were not so large. Hope this helps!
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    This is one reason why the scale stinks. Some great advice above. Do what's healthy for your body- eating for fuel, exercising with a range of activities you enjoy, and it will pay off over time. Settle in for the long haul.