Peanut butter

Options
Good or bad? I love eating it with apples but it is high in fat. I'm vegetarian so I like it for protein plus it tastes awesome. How bad is it for me?

Replies

• nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    i think good.

i heart crunchy peanut butter.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    High fat yes ....... but it's the good fat. As long as it fits within your daily goals .... go for it. Protien, fat, and fiber all help keep you full longer.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I get the natural PB that comes from the machines at the store, its basically roasted ground peanuts, it does have fat, but its a healthy fat, its high in protein so keeps you fuller longer.
  • monainmn
    monainmn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter and i eat it daily and i have lost 50 plus pounds. I find a way to fit it in my calories and bamm, happiness :)
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It's pretty fattening - you could try apple slices dipped in reduced fat hummus (also thick and nutty) it's delicious. I was dubious when it was recommended to me, but now i prefer it to veg crudites.
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I eat pb everyday! Just stick to the serving size and its actually a great snack, especially post workout!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have 3 pieces of Brownberry Health nut toast every morning with Jiff Natural Crunchy Peanut Butter.... Great Breakfast to start my day and fill me up for my workout....
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    There is no right or wrong answer.
    For me, it's great in moderation. Moderation = ONE actual serving of two tablespoons. It's really easy for me to eat spoonfuls, so I have to make sure and actually measure it out. When I'm feeling particularly careful, I'll buy one that isn't made with sugar or extra oils (I believe I buy mine at Costco). So that's always an option too.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I have 2 tblsp every day cause I love it and will not eliminate it from my diet. Everything in moderation.
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    Just try and choose the unprocesses peanut butter. Less junk. If you can make it fit in your daily caloric intake, go for it! I love it too, and eat it almost everyday. If you love it that much (I know I do) it would be silly to completely stop eating it all together ;-)
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    Try reduced fat peanut butter. You can also try cashew butter and sunflower seed butter.
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    Oh, also, mix a little with some non fat greek yogurt and it becomes a creamy peanut butter dip for your apples, extra protein.
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Good tips everyone. I find I can fit it in my calories just fine but it tips off the fat. I'll try some of your suggestions. I like hummus and greek yogurt too but not as much as PB. Love my PB :)
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I eat PB every day. and I love it with apples. Just stick to the 2 tbls and keep it in your allowed calorie intake.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Try reduced fat peanut butter. You can also try cashew butter and sunflower seed butter.

Be careful of reduced fat peanut butter. One brand Skippy (I think) is 25% reduced fat ...... but <5% reduced calories (Whuh?). Other brands must be better.

If regular peanut butter doesn't fit is your daily calorie limit, there is a product called PB2. It's basically peanuts with the oil pressed out. Then sugar and salt are added. It's a powder, and I use PB2 in steel cut oatmeal Yum!
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is good for you! Just make sure you don't get the processed kind with all the weird ingredients.

The nutrition label should read: peanuts, salt

Also check out almond butter, macadamia butter, and cashew butter :heart:
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter..... actually.... I second trying PBS, esp. the chocolate flavored one. YUM! I also love to eat healthy peanut butter, and I love to eat almond butter.
    If you have trouble with portions, Justin's peanut butter has single serving packets. Just grab one and go.. and they have yummy flavors of peanut butter.