45 carbs, 30 protein, 25% fat...?

Options
Hi, I recently lost some weight & have changed my diet from mfp's recommended intakes to maintenance cals on 45%, 30%, 25%. I thought this would be good so i cld stop losing & start building a little bit of muscle (i dnt want 2 be a beefcake or anything). Now i keep reading that so much protein is bad for ur kidneys & not sure where to go from here now. Help me out plz mfps? x

Replies

• keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    You only need to be careful if you have kidney disease. I am a type 1 diabetic, NO kidney problems and I eat 45 / 30 / 25. I say go for protein.
  • talk2tiff
    talk2tiff Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanx for that. Anyone else got an opinion?
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I have eaten over 40% of my calories from protein for years...I typically get more than my total body weight number in grams of protein per day...

And there's nothing wrong with my kidneys. My doctor routinely gives me a clean bill of health and I have never had any issues whatsoever.

People like to scaremonger with the "too much protein" thing almost as much as they like the "carbs make you fat even if you only eat 1200 calories a day" thing. :wink:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above... higher levels of protein is almost always a good thing. Assuming no health conditions that necessitate a low protein diet, getting at least 1/3 of your cals from protein can only help you.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If you get serious into weight lifting its recommended that you eat 1-1.5g of protein for each pound of body weight. Now when you weigh over 200lbs like me, that's hard, so I try to get around 150g.