Computer question

Options
Fit4_Life
Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
How do I check to see if there has been a different IP address to look at certain things on my computer, from their computer?

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Not quite sure I understand the question. Are you trying to access your own computer from somewhere else?
  • Fit4_Life
    Options
    Hmm. Not quite sure I understand the question. Are you trying to access your own computer from somewhere else?

No sir. I just wanted to know if someone else is accessing MY computer from their computer.
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    That's a fairly technical question. Someone would either have to be a very skilled hacker, or have some remote control software installed on your machine, which they would have needed access to your machine to do. If there was such a program on your machine (and it was currently running) you could find it in the task manager under processes.
  • Fit4_Life
    Options
    That's a fairly technical question. Someone would either have to be a very skilled hacker, or have some remote control software installed on your machine, which they would have needed access to your machine to do. If there was such a program on your machine (and it was currently running) you could find it in the task manager under processes.

I just thought it was suspicious that I had to sign on my email acct, when I already had it on a open tab.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

No sir. I just wanted to know if someone else is accessing MY computer from their computer.

That can be somewhat complex. There are a number of ways this could be done, and some of them are not readily detectable. Do you have reason to think someone is accessing your computer? Do you have anti-virus/anti-malware software which is regularly updated?
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    A good spyware program will not appear in taskmanager. If you have a hardware firewall using NAT, you should be ok unless you have the software installed.
    A spyware program usually doesn't allow remote access. It captures screenshots, logs keystrokes and url's. now if the person has access to your computer, they can log in and check the program. If not, they can set it up to send the information via email to an address they program in.

A good virus scanner and malware scanner should be able to detect it.
  • Fit4_Life
    Options

That can be somewhat complex. There are a number of ways this could be done, and some of them are not readily detectable. Do you have reason to think someone is accessing your computer? Do you have anti-virus/anti-malware software which is regularly updated?

Yes, the anti-virus/anti-malware is all updated. I was just curious if there was a way to look into my computer.
  • NA_Willie
    NA_Willie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Smart money says you timed out of being logged into the email.
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    Double check the exact address if you're ever suspicious of a login. Often scammers and spammers will use phishing. That is they direct you to a page which looks just like the login page for you email or facebook or whatever, but it's really just a dummy page designed to steal your username and password once you enter it. You can always tell because the address will be slightly off like.. www.facabook.com\login At quick glance it looks right but there's an "a" where the "e" should be. If you have any doubts or concerns simply change your password immediately. Oh and quite often these dummy pages will say something like "Oops, there was a problem and you were logged out. Please log in below"
  • _binary_jester_
    Options
    Physical access is the easiest. Given the complexity of most people password (if your computer has a password at all), booted to a virtual linux OS, you could probably crack it in 5 to 10 minutes.

Word to the wise. Encrypt your naked pictures of yourself.
  • ShunkyDave
    ShunkyDave Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm agreeing, you may have timed out. Unless you have auditing and logging setup before hand, there's no way to go back and see if your computer or account was accessed.

If you think this might be happening, make sure you turn off RDP, or Remote Desktop Protocol. That's usually how others will access your machine.

If you've been hacked, then turning off RDP won't help. Make sure you have your firewall turned on, and change all your passwords. If you want some help coming up with good passwords, I can give you some tips, but that should be another conversation.
  • _binary_jester_
    Options
    I'm agreeing, you may have timed out. Unless you have auditing and logging setup before hand, there's no way to go back and see if your computer or account was accessed.

If you think this might be happening, make sure you turn off RDP, or Remote Desktop Protocol. That's usually how others will access your machine.

If you've been hacked, then turning off RDP won't help. Make sure you have your firewall turned on, and change all your passwords. If you want some help coming up with good passwords, I can give you some tips, but that should be another conversation.
    If you have spyware, the program will just capture whatever password you change. Scan for malware with an installed program, then a web based one.
  • Fit4_Life
    Options
    Thank you al! :smile: