ISO Help Going Sugar-Free

Options
Hello Gym Class Heroes,
I am in need of some nutritional support/info. I am trying to look at my diet differently. I'm starting to do some research on going sugar-free or "low and below" the glycemic index. I am finding that all foods have a significant amount of sugar in them from protein bars (avg. 24grams) to low-fat milk (12grams per cup). I am pretty sure this is why no matter how hard I work out, I cannot lose weight. I am also reading about how many carbs turn into the bad sugars after digested. It's crazy. Does anyone else follow a low sugar or sugar free plan? I'd like to know more info.
Thanks
Your Gym Class Pal.

Replies

• issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I follow South Beach which discourages any products with added sugars and other refined carbs. It's not low-carb--we eat plenty of veggies and some whole grains and fruit.
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I do. (no added sugars - I eat fruit.) Feel free to message me if you'd like :)
  • knix71
    knix71 Posts: 1
    Options
    I try and avoid added sugar but if I do have something i.e protein bars etc I stick to the basic 10gms max per 100gms.:smile:
  • HerbieSue
    HerbieSue Posts: 288
    Options
    I will be watching the ideas here! I try to stay below 15 grams of sugar a day and yes, it is hard. The lowest sugar protein shake I have found is Premier Nutrition Protein with 30 grams of protein and only 1 sugar. The lowest protein bar I've found is Pure Protein with 20 grams of protein and 2 sugars. They both taste good too!
  • Skweezd
    Skweezd Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.
  • Skweezd
    Skweezd Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been doing some research online, looked at many sites, but seem to find www.beyonddiet.com the most informative. It does cost a little bit to join but I'm going to give it a shot. The site is run by a nutritionist and I am looking at adjusting my diet in order to finally lose some weight. I believe this will also help with my digestive system, which since turning 40 has never been the same. Wish me luck. I'll share info with anyone who is interested so inbox or friend request me.
    Kim