Why grab and go bars are not good...

Options
One day, long ago, I was having a conversation with my friend about losing weight. She had a friend (a model) who told her that no matter what she ate, eat a cup of vegetables beforehand. I thought, "cup of vegetables and chocolate don't really go together."

Well, last week I lost just 1 lb. Yes, I still lost weight, but I have a goal and 1 lb a week is not it.

So...

I decided to eat vegetables when I was craving something sweet (slightly cooked sugar snap peas definitely hit the spot)
I decided to eat vegetables when I was craving something savory ( homemade non-fat tzatziki sauce blended with raw spinach and 5 almonds is low cal, nutritionally balance and yummy smoothie)
When I wanted something sweet and savory: slightly cooked baby carrots tossed with Balsamic vinegar.

The food combo may not sound appealing to you 9I can suggest many different combos) but choosing vegetables worked and I am back on target.

I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SAYING... "Girl, sugar snap peas are nothing like some good chocolate." You are right.

However, the sugar snap peas fill me up and chocolate only has me craving more food, namely chocolate :-)

After eating 1.5 serving of sugar snap peas, I do want chocolate, but the 71 calories made of 4.5g fiber, 4.5g protein and 6g sugar has got me so full, I have no room for chocolate. I am also NOT HUNGRY for hours! WOO HOO!

I used to eat a Fiber One bar for the fiber and for my chocolate fix. HORRIBLY WRONG MOVE!

Look at ingredients: Chicory root extract, chocolate chips with confectioners shellac (chocolate chips [Sugar, Chocolate Liquor, Cocoa Butter, Dextrose, Milk Fat, Soy Lecithin, Ethanol, Shellac, Hydrogenated Coconut Oil]), Rolled Oats, Crispy Rice (Rice Flour, Sugar Malt, Salt), Barley Flakes, High Maltose Corn Syrup, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sugar, Canola Oil, Honey, Glycerin, Maltodextrin, Palm Kernel Oil, Tricalcium Phosphate, Soy Lecithin, Salt, Nonfat Milk, Peanut Oil, Cocoa Processed with Alkalin, Natural Flavor, Baking Soda, Color Added, Almond Flour, Sunflower Meal, Wheat Flour, Mixed Tocopherols Added to Retain Freshness.

7 different sugars including corn syrup!
Hydrogenated oil!
Palm kernel oil and Peanut oil (the worst of the oils)

1/2 serving Fiber One bar =

70 calories
2g fat (26% calories come from fat)
5 g sugar
5 g sugar alcohol (no nutritional use)
4.5g fiber
1g protein
5% Calcium, 1% Iron, no significant amounts of Vitamin A or C

1.5 serving of sugar snap peas (147g, about 12 peas) =

61.5 calories
0g fat
6g sugar
3.8g fiber
4.1g protein
6% Calcium, 16.5% Iron, 31.5% Vitamin A, 147% Vitamin C

NOTE: When you eat equal amounts of protein and carbs it prevent sugar highs and lows and gives you sustained energy.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Replies

• Sweeterescape
    Options
    I'm going to get some sugar snap peas tomorrow!!!

Thanks for sharing...this is great! I've often lamented the lack of different meal replacement and snack bars (I grew up in the US now live in the UK) but now I definitely won't!
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I snack on broccoli when I'm needing some crunch. I'm weird LOL