calories for strength training

I am n00b here... I entered my weight routine into the exercise diary and expected it to guesstimate my kcal burn. It says I expended zero on exercise today. Am I doing something wrong? If it does not estimate calories burned, what is the point of entering your strength routine? Generally this seems like a great site. I love the food diary part. Please tell me I am diong something wrong in the exercise diary. Thanks!

Replies

• If you want to get a calorie estimate for weight lifting, search for 'strength training' under cardio and use that to estimate.

They don't estimate calories burned in the strength training section.
  • I believe there is an entry under "cardio" for Strength training... It's mostly to keep track of what you've done, and (I use it) to get critique.

As I think of it, strength training is just that, strength training. Lift weights to build muscle, cardio to lose fat. Something like that. It's probably not really right though.
  • old55school
    old55school Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks to all for fast replies!!! The entry under cardio works perfectly... Not used to a forum where you get prompt, helpful, accurate answers.
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    I believe there is an entry under "cardio" for Strength training... It's mostly to keep track of what you've done, and (I use it) to get critique.

As I think of it, strength training is just that, strength training. Lift weights to build muscle, cardio to lose fat. Something like that. It's probably not really right though.

and also lift weights to lose fat. :) people with more muscle burn more calories at rest.
  • I can't seem to find it on the website, but on my iphone i found the faq that addresses this. It essentially stated that they don't calculate calories burned for strength training, because it would be silly to do so. My words, not theirs.

With factors like "rest" between sets and each rep and whether or not the weight you lifted was actually doing anything. i.e. If a sknnygrl lifted a 15lb dumbell 12 times she might burn 12 calories. A Powerlifter on the other hand, would maybe burn a single calorie.
  • If you are all that serious about weight lifting you could also use a formula that already takes your activity level into account and just not log any exercise. I choose to do that, because 1.) I dont know what formula myfitnesspal uses and 2.) the carbs/fats/protein distribution that myfitnesspal suggests does not fit my needs.

1.) There are many formulas to calculate your calorie intake. Some take into consideration lean weight, others are based on total weight. The ones based on lean weight are considered more accurate. I use the Katch-McArdle Formula. I am not sure if I am allowed to post links here, but the formula is explained at http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm (I am in no way associated with this site).

2.) I take 1 gram of protein per pound of lean weight. Half a gram of fat per lb of lean weight, and the rest from carbs. That equates to about 30% protein, 30% fat and 40% carbs in my case. Obviously, if I lose 10 lbs of fat, I will have to adjust my carbs, but not my protein intake and the percentages will change. The site (and the app) go by the percentages with no regard for what your body composition is. So in my example above, if you lose 10 lbs of fat, they will reduce your protein and fat intake to match the lowered overall calorie needs. That won't work for me, since I am trying to give my body all the protein it needs to maintain the lean mass.

On a side note, I wish, the site and the app would let you configure your calorie goal by the grams of macro-nutrients you want, and not just by percentages. Or at least let us enter the percentage and not restrict us to 10%, 20%, 30%. In my case, the exact percentages would be 28% protein, 32% fat, 40% of carbs, but the site won't let me enter this.

Anyway, this was probably much more than you wanted to hear. Just keep in mind, far more important than keeping track of your exercise on a daily basis, is to stay with it. You can adjust your activity level and calorie intake if you are losing/gaining too much or too little. Just don't give up. :)