Good Workouts After Donating Blood

Options
I am looking for ideas on what exercises would be appropriate and still good calorie burners after I donate blood. They typically say that you should avoid using your arm. But, I don't want to get too far out of my routine. I don't work out on the weekend as it's my "time off" from working out. Yesterday fell apart for me to get to the gym. So I am hitting an excessive number of days without exercise and would like to do something that won't cause too much injury (assuming that the precautions that the phlebotomists share are accurate and not over-cautious).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    When I donate they tell me no strenuous exercise for 24 hours. I usually try to workout before I go, or I just get a good walk in that day, and skip my usual weights or circuit training type stuff that involves more arm movements or strenuous work.
  • brindlechewy
    brindlechewy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're supposed to do anything strenuous after donating blood. I've passed out from just walking up two flights of stairs after donating, so I'm putting in my two cents to encourage you to take the day off. Better safe than sorry.
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Donate on Fridays only then take the weekend off....they want your blood bad enough to wait till Friday for it trust me. If you are stubborn and still work out watch out for tunnle vision and drink lots of water!! :)
  • rattler0812
    rattler0812 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Donate on Fridays only then take the weekend off....they want your blood bad enough to wait till Friday for it trust me. If you are stubborn and still work out watch out for tunnle vision and drink lots of water!! :)

My ideal is that I would donate on a Friday after I have already worked out. Only this time the blood donation was set up by my work and today was the day. I have blocked off tomorrow and the next day to take it easy. But, that will only give me Friday to work out which is one of 5 days for the week to work out.

Thanks for some of the ideas from the rest that have responded. I'll have to look into doing some extra walking in order to try and get the burn rate up to something decent during the needle hole recovery. I know my work campus is large enough to accommodate a nice long walk. But the weather may not be so accommodating. We'll see.

Thanks again to everyone for your ideas.

Jason