Natural allergy relief anyone?

Options
I have been sick with what started as a sinus infection after a super windy day. But I've always had allergy issues. More since I moved to a climate that is more deserty with desert plants.

I really hate having elevated blood pressure due to my allergy medicine and it is scary to think of what can happen if I keep taking it. I want to stop taking it and try more natural solutions to my allergies. My biggest problem is at night one nostril gets stopped up and I toss and turn trying to breathe. I have a humidifier so I am going to try going that route and stopping pills.

Generally I usually sound like I am getting over a cold and it's annoying. does anyone know any other natural things I can do for my allergies? Like any supplements?

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Mix boiling water with a tablespoon of honey and a teaspoon of lemon juice for quick relief from blocked sinuses. Works for most people, although not everyone.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Local honey and I use a neti pot too.
  • fightingautism
    Options
    A tablespoon of RAW honey from YOUR neighborhood every day is a natural remedy similar to allergy shots. If not raw & too far away from where you live, it may not be as effective.
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Cayenne Pepper.
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I take horseradish, garlic and vitamin C tablets. Horseradish helps with the runny nose, garlic to boost your immune system and vitamin C for fighting. Echinacea is also good for everything that has to do with immune system.
  • vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have heard bee pollen works wonders! I know "pollen" sounds counterintuitive but there's two kinds of pollen: the airborne pollen that makes us sneeze and the pollen the bees use to make honey. Bee pollen mixed with raw honey is supposed to be a cure-all for a lot of things.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Take a buttload of Vitamin C! I take 1000mg every day but when I need an immune boost I take 1000mg 2 or 3 times a day. My alergies are WAY better since I started daily vitamin C and were completely gone when I was up to 3000mg per day (at the recomendation of my dentist to boost my immune system prior to getting some work done). My fiance is the same way, I can tell when he goes a couple days without it. i've read your body can only absorb about 1000mg at a time tho so if you do go for more split it up during the day.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Take a buttload of Vitamin C! I take 1000mg every day but when I need an immune boost I take 1000mg 2 or 3 times a day. My alergies are WAY better since I started daily vitamin C and were completely gone when I was up to 3000mg per day (at the recomendation of my dentist to boost my immune system prior to getting some work done). My fiance is the same way, I can tell when he goes a couple days without it. i've read your body can only absorb about 1000mg at a time tho so if you do go for more split it up during the day.

Can you explain the reasoning on why vitamin c would have any effect on allergies?