Eating for your Bloodtype...fact or fiction?

Options

Replies

• nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    People love this diet because the "blood type" part makes it sound scientific, and because it's tailored to MY particular blood type it must therefor be special somehow. It's garbage people, garbage. Some people have had success on it because in general it suggests healthy eating practices, more so for certain blood types. You lost weight by eating healthy? NO WAY! There's not one shred of scientific evidence that backs up the claim of your blood type requiring a special diet. None.

I will now share a little known secret diet that IS backed up by science, for FREE!... It's called the... "Don't put so much food in your mouth" diet.
  • shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Quick - here comes the **fad diet bus** - all hop aboard!!

I never once thought of this as a "fad diet" for there is no such thing as a diet (per se) working long term -- it's a lifestyle change, and if I have to avoid wheat, dairy etc to keep my eczema at bay, so be it. Just found it very interesting that my allergy test results and eating for one's bloodtype were identical. But then again....how many eat mechanically made food (Protein Shakes, etc) and are ones to diss such a thing as this? Is that not a "diet" type of food...and yes, I do have protein shakes once in awhile when in a rush and I need something in my stomach...but much rather have something that is recognizable AS a food, lol...Yep, just my opinion! :tongue:
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options

I never once thought of this as a "fad diet" for there is no such thing as a diet (per se) working long term -- it's a lifestyle change, and if I have to avoid wheat, dairy etc to keep my eczema at bay, so be it. Just found it very interesting that my allergy test results and eating for one's bloodtype were identical. But then again....how many eat mechanically made food (Protein Shakes, etc) and are ones to diss such a thing as this? Is that not a "diet" type of food...and yes, I do have protein shakes once in awhile when in a rush and I need something in my stomach...but much rather have something that is recognizable AS a food, lol...Yep, just my opinion! :tongue:
    You are right - I shouldnt diss - I have just been hanging around the boards too long and my sceptasism has started to get the better of me. If it works for you, its awesome - especially if its helping with allergies and other intolerances.

I guess what I meant with my hop aboard the bus comment was all those that were posting 'interesting' and 'I will have to look into this'... it just seemed like a snap decision formed so quickly at the first hearing of something new...

Interesting though that you had a look at my food diary and all you were able to comment on was my protein shake? (Unless i'm just making assumptions and if so, feel free to ignore!). I only have one if Im going to do heavy weights at the gym - I've got a 10km run tomorrow morning and I really, really dont want to be sore! Im trying to increase my speed whilst adding extra hills from my Monday run :happy:
  • shanahan_09
    Options

You are right - I shouldnt diss - I have just been hanging around the boards too long and my sceptasism has started to get the better of me. If it works for you, its awesome - especially if its helping with allergies and other intolerances.

I guess what I meant with my hop aboard the bus comment was all those that were posting 'interesting' and 'I will have to look into this'... it just seemed like a snap decision formed so quickly at the first hearing of something new...

Interesting though that you had a look at my food diary and all you were able to comment on was my protein shake? (Unless i'm just making assumptions and if so, feel free to ignore!). I only have one if Im going to do heavy weights at the gym - I've got a 10km run tomorrow morning and I really, really dont want to be sore! Im trying to increase my speed whilst adding extra hills from my Monday run :happy:

No worries, all's good -- and no, I didn't look at your food diary. I've just noticed this a lot on MFP that many judge another on a 'diet' when in fact they consume protein shakes for most of their main meals. Hell, the weight will fly off of me if I did that, but geez, I can't live on those...blech. Oh, and the only ones I really liked were the Whey shakes...can't have whey (allergic) and the Hemp ones are gawd awful...LOL
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    All I've gotten out of this thread is FIRE UP THE GRILL!

Thanks MaximalLife, will do.. :happy:

Swiss cheeseburger, with small red potatoes are
    already entered in MFP for the night, so I'm good to
    go! :drinker:
  • Shazz02
    Options
    My neighbour went on the diet and she is very good at sticking to it as well, and she is still on it.

I think so far she has lost 7 kgs in the past 4-5 months and that is with no exercise either.

I personally couldnt stick to it myself, but I know that it worked for her...i guess it just depends on how good you are !
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Have only read the title - FICTION
  • itsasecret22
    Options
    I'm type A it says eat mostly carbs. If I eat carbs I binge and gain weight. The best thing anyone can do is listen to their own bodies and do what works for them.
    Type is is mostly veggies and hardly any carbs...
  • cjw6
    cjw6 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Its nonsense and has no basis in science.
    Most of the 'allergy tests' especially administered by health food stores or online are BS as well

Also a physician.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    SO we're all made the same according to most posters? That's just absurd. There are different body types, mesomorphic endomorphic, ectomorphic.

Some people have a majority of different muscle times, which helps them excel in certain sports. A skinny lanky guy will never be a world class power lifter. A big husky guy will never be a world class marathon runner.

This is due to muscle fiber types, and energy systems, some people just work better on a carb based diet cause of their muscle fiber types, and some work better on a high protein diet.

Can you provide any physiological evidence for these body types? All of my research has shown that the terms were developed by a psychologist and used them to justify personality types. They are named for the three types of developmental tissues, which makes no sense considering what you claim them to mean.

I understand that one can train the muscles to have a higher concentration of slow-twitch or fast-twitch, but I have never heard of it being an innate quality.

Yes fiber types can be trained to behave more like another. I am NASM CPT, and there is different body types. The terms might be the same in the psychology field as in health and fitness, but they obviously don't mean the same thing. If you think of children, some children are stronger than others, some are faster than others, this is due to what i said previously, genetics of fiber types.

I won't deny that there are different body types, but I do believe the somatotype theory originated in psychology. The system was developed by psychologist W.H. Sheldon. He has received quite a bit of criticism for the theory.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:CoCOF6VFug0J:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somatotype_and_constitutional_psychology+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
    http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/553976/somatotype
  • shanahan_09
    Options
    Most of the 'allergy tests' especially administered by health food stores or online are BS as well

Also a physician.

Too funny, but no, didn't take an allergy test from online, nor from a health food store. And, I respect the physicians who state they are physicians, but why? Does that make them correct in everything regarding health issues? I do know that many physicians (especially here) love to administer consistant meds instead of getting to the root of the problem, which in my case is indeed certain foods. We are what we eat -- is there no truth in that statement?
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Lady at work believes in it. I secretly laugh at her because all she has done is created a calorie deficit and she calls it magic. LOLZ
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Lady at work believes in it. I secretly laugh at her because all she does is created a calorie deficit and calls it magic. LOLZ

LOL!!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I read about it once, I have wheat/dairy/soy/egg intolerances, they were on my foods to eat list. I'm not buying the hype
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Can we all agree that whatever helps to get a person to a healthy weight and living an active lifestyle is ok for that person? A hell of a lot more is known about digestion now than 50 years ago and there are still mysteries to the science. Who knows what will be discovered in the next 50 years. There are more than one flavor ice creams, protein shakes (LOL) so can't there also be more than one way to lose weight? Do what works and feels best for yourself. To each his own!!!
  • nikolaim5
    Options

Also a physician.

Too funny, but no, didn't take an allergy test from online, nor from a health food store. And, I respect the physicians who state they are physicians, but why? Does that make them correct in everything regarding health issues? I do know that many physicians (especially here) love to administer consistant meds instead of getting to the root of the problem, which in my case is indeed certain foods. We are what we eat -- is there no truth in that statement?

You absolutely should not take anyone's word for anything. You should educate yourself on the subject of how the body works. Whether you want to use scientifically proven facts or anecdotal words of mouth as the source of your education is entirely up to you.
  • nikolaim5
    Options
    Can we all agree that whatever helps to get a person to a healthy weight and living an active lifestyle is ok for that person? A hell of a lot more is known about digestion now than 50 years ago and there are still mysteries to the science. Who knows what will be discovered in the next 50 years. There are more than one flavor ice creams, protein shakes (LOL) so can't there also be more than one way to lose weight? Do what works and feels best for yourself. To each his own!!!

No. Sometimes people achieve things in spite of themselves and then purport incorrect theories as the cause for the achievement. This is the case with the blood type diet. It basically gets people to eat restrictively in most cases, which results in a calorie deficit.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options

No. Sometimes people achieve things in spite of themselves and then purport incorrect theories as the cause for the achievement. This is the case with the blood type diet. It basically gets people to eat restrictively in most cases, which results in a calorie deficit.

You are right that it doesn't make it an absolute fact. They lose weight because of the calorie deficit. Still if the ultimate goal is achieved I see no harm. Besides, they feel better eating the foods according to the OP. It seems the important goal is to achieve a lifestyle change that can be maintained comfortably and healthfully.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

When someone identifies themselves as a physician, or in my case, as a research scientist with a PhD, it means simply: I have a lot of education with a strong background in medical science. Please consider that when you consider my opinion.

Does that magical "Dr." in front of our names make us all-knowing gods? Hell no. Should you accept our opinions as the absolute truth? No. But... it would be nice if you at least least thought of us as 'expert witnesses' and judged accordingly.

Of course... this is the internet and every one of us could be lying about who we are. I might be some hairy dude, sitting at home in my underwear, and not actually the woman I pretend to be. Stranger things have happened.

Unfortunately, the guy that wrote the bloodtype book also has a Dr. in front of his name :grumble: and that's what makes this whole thing so frustrating for me. I personally feel he was incredibly irresponsible to publish such nonsense, but that's just me.

I do NOT deny that you probably feel better eating the way that you do. I do NOT deny that there are genetic variability between individuals that mean one person is going to flourish on one type of diet whereas the other person will find that diet unsatisfactory in so many ways.

The blood-type thing just doesn't make sense. There's just no way that the biological markers on your red blood cells have anything to do with how you respond to food. There are other, better, more likely explanations for why your diet works well for you (and not for anyone else).

More importantly, the blood type diet has NOT been tested in randomized, double-blind clinical trials. Ketogenic diets (low carb, high fat, high protein) HAVE been tested. Low fat diets HAVE been tested. Low calorie diets HAVE been tested. The effects of exercise HAVE been tested. So why hasn't the blood type diet been tested? If it's based on science, WHERE IS THE SCIENTIFIC PROOF?

So in the absence of proof... I suppose you could say I look at the blood-type thing the same way that I look at astrology. Is my horoscope sometimes right? Sure, I suppose, usually because it's written in an open and flowery fashion that's subject to various interpretations that can easily fit my circumstances. That does not, however, make astrology a science. And the blood type thing isn't (in my mind) science either- it strikes me as superstition.

Please, please don't think I'm telling you not to eat the way you're eating. If it makes you happy, if it keeps you healthy, if it's meeting all of your needs, you're golden!

You just asked what we thought, and I, as a research scientist with a solid understanding of human physiology and cell biology and a Dr. in front of my name say... Dr. what's his name is peddling superstition in the name of science. Actually, I'll be nicer than that. The good Dr. is extrapolating and drawing unsupported conclusions. He is presenting those conclusions as fact, when they are not fact and are only his guesses.
  • hugsnkisses1499
    hugsnkisses1499 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i'm o- and mine is to eat lots of protein especially meat but im a vegetarian so its not going to work lol