Cleaning? Exercise?

Options
Do you guys count cleaning as exercise?

Replies

• dragonsheart84
    Options
    I do because you are moving your body. The calorie limit is for when you stay in bed all day long and do nothing. This is why I count it.
  • MamaChunk
    MamaChunk Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If I break a sweat, yes! If I am sittimg down wiping a table, no. I think it counts as long as you are really moving around a lot. I also play music and dance around when i am cleaning..you know..multi tasking. Whatever it takes, right?:laugh:
  • MamaChunk
    MamaChunk Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I do because you are moving your body. The calorie limit is for when you stay in bed all day long and do nothing. This is why I count it.

Agreed
  • sherrillg
    sherrillg Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I only count heavy duty/extended length of cleaning because in my mind my everyday cleaning is included in my activity level. JMO:smile:
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I did count it this past Sunday because I spent about a half-hour on it basically scrubbing the floors and was completely sweaty by the time I got done. If it's just some light dusting, straightening up the house, cleaning up the kitchen, no I usually don't.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't, but my activity level is set to "active".
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    nope I don't b/c I've always cleaned and never counted it so it went into my activity level. :)
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    NO!!!!! When you make your profile it asks about your lifestyle! If you clean everyday it should already be added toward your calories. Sorry but this is a pet peeve of mine! I feel like people are just trying to get extra calories or something. * This is my opinion.*
  • simplymily
    Options
    I only count it 1/week because I only do heavy duty serious cleaning once a week where I would break a sweat but otherwise i don't.
  • sandiburn
    sandiburn Posts: 149
    Options
    I agree with Mama. I count it when I am really working hard.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend reading this post. It clearly outlines, when how and why "cleaning" and other such activities are logged as exercise.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/291071-activity-level-and-logging-exercise
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    NO!!!!! When you make your profile it asks about your lifestyle! If you clean everyday it should already be added toward your calories. Sorry but this is a pet peeve of mine! I feel like people are just trying to get extra calories or something. * This is my opinion.*

This is my opinion too.
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I don't because my activity level is set to slightly active.
  • annabellio
    annabellio Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I add it if I feel like I'm exhausted after doing the cleaning - usually if its more than an hour.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    My lifestyle is sedentary because I work in an office at a sit down desk 5 days a week with a total 2.5-3 hour commute. So on weekends I do count my cleaning as exercise if I do it continuously for longer than 30 minutes (I also usually have the music blaring and am dancing and beebopping around) - but I never count it as vigorous - always light. It is more movement than I would do regularly. During the week if I just do the dishes and throw a load of laundry in - I don't count it.
  • leavingfat
    leavingfat Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Only if I sweat for a sustained period of time. I like to rearrange and that usually gets me sweaty and sore; if I'm just reloading the dishwasher and wiping the counters, not so much.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    yep, it's HARD work! ... don't forget typing, changing the channel on the remote, and going #2.
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I log those activities if I clean like crazy and break a sweat (moving furniture to clean under it, and scrubbing the whole house), I also log food prep if I am cooking for a party of people... IE this past weekend was my son's birthday party and I logged my cleaning and food prep because it was TOUGH! I know that kneading and rolling out fondant was a good calorie burn!
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    if you do count it, just don't give yourself as much as MFP does. For example, if you clean 60 minutes and it says you burned 200 calories, I would only count half.

My reasoning is because I wore my HRM to compare and there was a big difference.
  • missjelika
    missjelika Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    only time I count anything as exercise is if My heart rate is above 120/130 and i am making an exerted effort outside of the norm.