alcohol

Options
Hi,

How badly does beer affect your calorie count, if you drink more and eat less?

168101.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

Replies

• jyrowe34
    jyrowe34 Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi,

How badly does beer affect your calorie count, if you drink more and eat less?

168101.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Your body needs energy to burn, sadly alcohol slows down your metabolism. :grumble:

I'm a total wino, so I know what I speak. :embarassed:

Welcome & good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • hartkid13
    hartkid13 Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    I've got cheat days worked into my diet and I use those to consume any alcohol.

Miller Lite has 96 calories a serving.
    Miller Genuine Draft 64 has (you guessed it) 64 calories per serving.
    Sam Adams Light has about 120 calories a serving.
    Guinness has 120 calories a serving.

Those are the ones I could think of off the top of my head. I think they're right.
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have a light beer every once in a while. I'm thinking it's about 73 calories (Miller Lite) so I can still pretty much eat normally and drink one of those.

I definitely don't recommend giving up food for alcohol when you're on restricted calories though. Your metabolism will putz right out.
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    I log drinks just like I log anything else that I consume. Obviously, if you overdo anything you're not going to have good effects. That's why MFP is so great about helping you to keep everything in moderation.

Caution: If you drink too much, you won't be able to log it. ha ha
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Beyond the actual calories contained in alcohol, alcohol itself changes the way your body uses energy (temporarily) and slows down your metabolism. Once in awhile it's ok, don't get me wrong, but frequently and in large doses it isn't good for you. Also, replacing food with alcohol is a bad idea. Alcohol doesn;t contain any of the important nutrients that your food does so cutting a meal so you can drink would be a big mistake. Instead, splurge on occaision by adding an alocholic beverage to your day but NOT cutting down on food. You'll be slightly over in calories for the day, but at least your body will be nourished.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation.
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation.

Chrissy... 1. you look like Lois Lane from Smallville in your photo (she's hot!) and 2. Everything? Really? Yeah, good advice, but there are something you just can't get enough of.

:laugh:

OK... I agree.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    are you typing just to hear yourself?!

No just kidding - ok - all FOOD and DRINK in moderation....yeah that's better.

I'll have to see who she is....thanks!