Ok, I'm convinced. A question about lifting.

Options
After hanging around here and reading lots of articles, I have finally become convinced that I should be doing heavy lifting and weight training. However, along with training for 10k I am doing Turbo Fire which uses resistance bands for the strength training. Will the resistance bands provide the same benefit of 'lifting heavy' with weights or should I incorporate more dumbells etc? With these 2 programs I don't have much more time but I am willing to mix it up if it will make a big difference.

Replies

• Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do heavy lifting, Tubo Fire and 10k training all at once. You'd run the risk of over training. As for the resistance bands....I don't know. Lifting heavy (at least to me) is where you lift a weight that you can only do about 6-8 reps (with good form) before you can't do any more. Can you achieve that with your bands?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    The problem with Turbo Fire (and I've done it and like it) is that the "strength" workouts aren't really strength workouts. You don't increase your weight ever, you don't rest between sets, you often don't allow recovery... so no, they aren't really "heavy lifting". But yes, they are better than just straight cardio all the time.

But Carrie is right, doing all that seems like too much. If you can find a way to do it all in an hour or so a day (although I'm not really sure when training becomes "over training") with at least one full rest day than it would work (I'd skip the strength Turbo Fire days if you add in lifting). But a better approach might be just to do the jogging and the weight lifting, then replace the jogging with the Turbo Fire after your 10K.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how much you're wanting to do of each. Lifting is probably only beneficial if you're willing to lift 2-3x/week. I do that and I also do salsa 4x week and run 1-2x week, too (maybe 10k training requires more than that though-I'm only doing 3 miles at most). Doesn't feel like overtraining to me. I just like it all, and my body seems happy enough.
  • Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I have my running program set up so I am only at the gym 3 days a week, so it's not that crazy. I think I'll keep going with the TF strength until maybe it isn't as difficult anymore, and then instead start doing weights at the gym while I'm there for running.