fat intake versus calories

Options
I find that even if I am below in my calories each day, my fat intake tends to be above by at least 5 grams. The average is 10 grams. Is this something I should worry about for weight loss? I am not worried about cholesterol as all of my tests have always been in the middle of normal in the past. I am more worried on how the fat effects my weight loss.

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    How many grams do you tend to get each day? I get 50-70 and as far as I can tell it hasn't hurt me. Some people have a sweet tooth, I have a cheese tooth ;)
    But the short answer is that no, it shouldn't affect your weight loss, as that is a matter of calories in an out. So being over by 5 or even 10 shouldn't hurt if you're within your cal goal in general.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    As long as you are meeting or slightly under your calorie goal it's ok. You don't get fat from eating too much fat. You get fat from eating too many calories.:flowerforyou:
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I'm almost always over by about the same and I've lost about 25 pounds so far, it hasn't been a problem for me yet!
  • smoochums
    smoochums Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I always go over. So far I have lost. Until I stop loosing, I'm not going to worry about it. I stay under my calorie goal.

13798954.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I find that even if I am below in my calories each day, my fat intake tends to be above by at least 5 grams. The average is 10 grams. Is this something I should worry about for weight loss? I am not worried about cholesterol as all of my tests have always been in the middle of normal in the past. I am more worried on how the fat effects my weight loss.

Fat intake won't impact your weight loss, calories are what matter.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I would worry about fats only if the fat you are consuming is mostly saturated fats. Your body requires fat to be able to process a lot of vitamins. Fat is essential to keeping your brain working, your joints cushioned and your skin and hair healthy.

Fish, olive oil, fats from nuts and plants are all great places to get essential fatty acids. If your high proportion of fats are coming from things like butter, meats and so on, they can cause heart issues. Eat a variety, don't skimp on healthy fats and you should be fine. I have end up under on carbs, but over on fats and protein frequently. This also sometimes puts me over my calories for the day. But a little under here and some extra workouts there work fine for me.

Best of luck!
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Although what people are saying about weight loss is relatively true... I would take a closer look at the foods you are eating.

It's not just about losing weight, but about being healthy. There is no reason to consume the bulk your calories in fat.

Without being able to see your diary, it's tough to make any further comments.