Kinda gross

Options
Okay so My toe nail is coming off. I am really weird about things but this just down right embarrassing for me. Like my complete toe nail is coming off. Its a wee bit painful but more odd than anything.

Could a change in diet cause this??

Replies

• lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Yikes!! Are you sure you didn't drop something on it like three months ago or something? Sometimes it takes a really long time but after you hurt your toe it can come off. Maybe you hurt yourself and forgot...?
  • sherrywtrmn
    sherrywtrmn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    This happened to me once. The same toenail on each foot came off on the same day. Very weird. I'm not sure if diet has to do with it.
  • cuteness81104
    cuteness81104 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    def not quickly did you stub it or anything? I know my mom have that happen but she stubbed her toe and had gotten an infection
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    Yikes is right. I am weird about my feet so this has me in a complete upset....

glad to hear it happened to someone else.....

did your grow back or am I gonna be nailless on that toe forever??
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Did you injure it? Is it any sort of funny colors?

I wouldn't be surprised if you have a fungus that caused it. Generally, your diet wouldn't affect a fungus (that I know of) but if you are exercising, getting sweaty and not practicing good foot hygeine, you might see more problems with that.

Keep your feet clean and dry, and change your socks regularly. If you do a workout, don't keep wearing the sweaty socks afterward.

Do you wear different shoes each day, or the same shoes over and over again? I've been told many times to alternate pairs of shoes, but when it's cold out, I tend to keep reaching for the same pair, and they never get a chance to air out.
  • pratod
    pratod Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I had a fingernail get slammed in a door and come off completely, grew totally back in about a month
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Go to a Dr. It'll grow back though. Sounds like you stubbed it. They can fall out if you stub or drop something on it.
  • teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Isn't this the sort of thing one should see a doctor about? Humans don't typically shed toenails...
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    If you didn't slam it into something or drop something on it, my guess is it could be from wearing shoes that are too tight. I would get it checked by a doctor b/c there could be infection. I slammed my little toe into the edge of an open door once. It split open in like 3 directions and the toenail fell off. It grew back...just doesn't look exactly the same anymore!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Isn't this the sort of thing one should see a doctor about? Humans don't typically shed toenails...

I would.
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    Are you running or doing any type of cardio with a running type movement? Shoes that don't fit properly will cause you to lose toenails.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    It will grow back. Keep it covered for a while until it starts to heal. When I was little I used to like to ride my bike with no shoes, which equaled lots of tons off toenails. So icky.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    They can fall out if you stub or drop something on it.
    Or if you run a bunch in shoes a lil too small. First thing that came to my mind, being we're on a fitness site and all :)
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Chances are high that you injured it without knowing a while back, or that you've got some kind of nail infection (check with a foot doc for that). I've also heard of it happening to people with ill fitting shoes.

But yes, some kind of malnutrition could also be the culprit. Are you eating too little? Is your diet sufficient in omega 3's, B and C vitamins and Calcium?
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Once I ran like 8 miles and got a blister under my toenail and it fell off like a week later, grew back eventually but it's never quite been the same and now I have to get pedicures all the time...
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    For those of you inquiring about my foot ware I live in Florida and often wear open toed shoes. So nothing really restrains my feet during work hours and my work outs are limited to my living room/bed room areas which I dont wear shoes typically.....

I will call my doctor tomorrow....
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    It will grow back. It is most likely caused from an injury you didn't even realize happened.

I have one toe that will get a blister beneath the toenail when I've been running. Generally the nail will eventually fall off, but it always grows back. The new nail always looks perfectly normal.
  • SquishiiKiwii
    Options
    LOL! Sorry I LOL'ed when I read this, this happened to me! You probably stubbed your toe and it's loosened the nail which has now decided it's gonna fall off!
    I pulled open a hugely heavy door right onto my toe 3 weeks later, my toenail was hanging off!! It came off, and grew back!!

just keep it real clean and put a bandage or dressing on it for when you put shoes and socks on!
    xxx
  • 99Tinkerbell
    Options
    This usually happens from an injury or an infection (fungal toenails) either way you have a pretty good chance it will grow back. But there are rare occasions where they don't.