Would you spot me, please?

Options
When I work out, it's after 10pm and the people who are still there are the die-hards and the random late-nighter. I don't have a workout buddy yet, so I've been sticking mostly to machines for my weightlifting. However, I'd like to move to the free weights, like bench pressing. My question is, if you didn't look totally focused in your routine, would you mind a stranger asking you to spot them during your rest periods? I know I wouldn't mind doing it (assuming I could actually help with the lift if needed). But I don't want to commit a faux pas at the gym.

Replies

• Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I've been both...the spotter and spotee. Never bothered me a bit and I always felt kick-*kitten* when someone asked me to spot for them. :smile:
  • _Kate_P
    _Kate_P Posts: 132
    Options
    I wouldn't mind spotting at all, assuming I wasn't busy at the moment doing my own workout. and assuming I knew how!:laugh: But some people get super focused like "don't talk to me while I'm lifting things up and putting them down!" so just make sure they look friendly and know what they're doing
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'd just ask for you to do the same for me:-) I've interrupted people before to ask them to show me how to use machines and such and I have yet to run into a beezie.
  • bigfrank2
    Options
    My experience is that the hardcore guys are the nicest in the gym. Someone who is there latenight is there because they are dedicated and focused. But they also respect others who are working out and are usually more than willing to help.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    Spotting is good gym etiquette. If someone needs help then help by all means. Of course if you are in need and ask, you should be helped too. Gym rats are usually really cool people if you need help.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    As long as they're not in the middle of something (ie: a set) when you ask them, most shouldn't have a problem spotting you unless they're grumpy a-holes! (you get a few)

I'd definitely spot people if they asked me :)
  • stresco
    stresco Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Ask! I have never seen someone refuse to spot another person... Unless of course you ask them while they are in the middle of a set :/