Flavorless :( Condiment Recommends?

Options
asgard825
asgard825 Posts: 1,516 Member
I notice condiments (at least the good ones ) tend to be loaded with sodium or sugar. Any recommends? Mostly for ketchup/mustard/steak sauce? But I'd love to hear any flavoring recommends.

Replies

• bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you can find it with the holidays over, but Hickory Farms Pineapple Honey Mustard is freakin' DELICIOUS. I usually won't buy stuff with HFCS in it, but this tastes SO darned good. 2 g of sugar and 30 g sodium per serving--and it is really flavorful, so it isn't like you feel like you have to soak everything in it.
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    For ketchup, I use walden farms calorie free ketchup. Its not bad at all:)
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you can find it with the holidays over, but Hickory Farms Pineapple Honey Mustard is freakin' DELICIOUS. I usually won't buy stuff with HFCS in it, but this tastes SO darned good. 2 g of sugar and 30 g sodium per serving--and it is really flavorful, so it isn't like you feel like you have to soak everything in it.

I LOVE LOVE this mustard!!!!!!! :heart:
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    for ketchup I cut up one canned peach (the halved ones) and take a tablespoon or so of cranberry sauce and I chop it up with a little green onion and use that as a topping. It's pretty good =3 Nothing like ketchup at all but when I ate it on my burger I didn't pine for having ketchup, it was a nice alternative.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I cook with Mrs. Dash and I don't need condiments. No calories, sugar or sodium. The Southwest Chipotle is amazing!
  • tinkerpuppet
    tinkerpuppet Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    What do you want it for? Salsa, tzatziki, hummus, steak spice, seasoning salt, low fat/cal salad dressings are all things I like.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Mrs Dash marinades, and seasonings. There are a few new lower salt ketchups, steak sauce, well I haven't quite got that one figured out. Barbecue sauce I use no salt added ketchup, powdered mustard, a small about of worcestershire sauce and some spices like ginger.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Make your own? Salsa and chutneys are very easy to make, and you know exactly what it going in them.
  • enigrebua
    enigrebua Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You can get some fairly low calorie chutneys at the supermarket - just just have to shop around because like you say, some can be packed with salt and sugar as well. Other than that I'm a pretty boring salt/pepper/vinegar girl, and most of the time I don't use any of these unless it's in something I've made from scratch.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    - Balsamic vinegar
    - Lemon juice
    - Lime juice
    - Home made chilli relish (blend up fresh chillis, tomatoes, lemon juice, parsely, pinch of salt, splash of olive oil. You can control the quantities so you know how much salt/oil is in it. Keeps in the fridge for a few weeks)
    - Tomato passata - plain tomato sauce with nothing added. Doesn't taste like ketchup but has a rich tomato flavour
    - Fresh salsa - so many recipes out there, but you could try avocado, red onion, lime juice and olive oil for a starter
  • bslic
    bslic Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Tapatio...i'm sure it has sodium as it's a bottled hot sauce. But, a little goes a long way. we add it to everything.
  • dlei456
    dlei456 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce, for sure!!!! Great on everything from pastas to eggs, to meats!!!
  • akrzyzewski
    akrzyzewski Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    For ketchup I like to use simply Heinz. There isn't anything artificial. Calorie free ketchup is loaded with preservatives. Just stick to the serving size. I would think that most stuff you put ketchup on isn't healthy anyways, French fries, burgers, hot dogs. And for steak sauce, sorry But you probably won't have any luck with that. Maybe some brand from whole foods or something. I guess I don't believe in steak sauce because the flavor of the meat is just so delicious and I'll use the juices to pour over the top of it sometime.
  • Mtsembelis
    Mtsembelis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use Mrs. Dash's too!
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Herbs, spices, spice mixes, dukkuh, marinades and rubs. Fresh salsa instead of tomato sauce/ketchup. For an alternative "something" to have on meat, also try green peppercorns or garlic or sauteed mushrooms or onions.
  • cassuccino
    cassuccino Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Bragg Liquid Aminos are awesome!! They taste a lot like soy sauce but with so much less sodium!! And you can mix it with a bunch of other things to make new condiments. Experiment!! =)
    Also, Heinz (I think) has a "Reduced Sugar" Ketchup that really has no sugar, other than the sugar that's naturally occurring in tomatoes (it's sweetened with Splenda, I believe).
    I love Mrs. Dash salt-free seasonings as well. I haven't tried one that I didn't like and I can't name a favorite. =)
    Vinegars are great too, for adding a saltiness to your food.
    Lastly, I really like the TrueLemon and TrueLime products. They are crystallized lemon / lime and they're great to add an extra kick to your food - especially any kind of fish. =)

I hope some of those suggestions help you or someone else!! =)