Is there such a thing as a waterproof heart rate monitor?

Options
I want to get a HRM so I can truly see how many calories I'm burning. I have a Go Wear Fit that I never really use. I get most of my exercise from water aerobics or swimming and I'd like to see how much I'm burning during those. Are there any HRMs that are designed for water use? And which do you recommend?

Replies

• nafroese
    nafroese Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My Polar FT7 is supposed to be water proof up to a certain depth but I don't remember what it is, if you are looking for a good one try looking up Polar Heart Rate Monitors! I have had mine about 5 months and would never go back!
  • BlueEyedTXmom
    BlueEyedTXmom Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will look them up.
  • susanloveszumba
    Options
    yep the polar ft7 is but it just says not to push any buttons while its wet. i have used it in the pool and it worked fine!
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Yes, Polar CRX5 which was designed for swimmers. So not only the watch but also the chest strap is waterproof.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Polar ft4
    I used it all summer in the pool.
  • GeneaCindy
    GeneaCindy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    yep the polar ft7 is but it just says not to push any buttons while its wet. i have used it in the pool and it worked fine!

^this^
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 305, which is waterproof, but the heart rate strap does not take readings while submerged. When I swim, I take 10-20 second breaks every 500m or so to stand in the shallow end and get a HR reading. The watch, however, has no issues with submersion and calculates speed, distance, and time just fine.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Garmin also makes several models for people who do triathlons but I couldn't tell you off the top of my head which ones are waterproof. The main difference between Polar and Garmin is that Garmin will also tell you distance and pace information if you're interested in that.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 which i have says it's waterproof up to 50 meters
  • andrejjorje
    Options
    I'm not sure guys that you read carefully the OP. She wants to have the HR during swimming. None of FT4 or FT7 or Garmin 305 can do that. The chest strap is not waterproof.
  • BlueEyedTXmom
    Options
    Yes, Polar CRX5 which was designed for swimmers. So not only the watch but also the chest strap is waterproof.

Thanks!
  • stephanielindley422
    Options
    I'm not sure guys that you read carefully the OP. She wants to have the HR during swimming. None of FT4 or FT7 or Garmin 305 can do that. The chest strap is not waterproof.

I have the FT4. Then instruction manual said it CAN be used in water, but that high chlorine pools may make the reading off a little bit.
  • andrejjorje
    Options
    You seeeee!!:smile:
    The chest strap of CRX5 is called hybrid because it was designed for swimmers.

I have the FT4. Then instruction manual said it CAN be used in water, but that high chlorine pools may make the reading off a little bit.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You seeeee!!:smile:
    The chest strap of CRX5 is called hybrid because it was designed for swimmers.

And how much is you're precious CRX5? It may be out of her price range.

Plus, most people want an HRM that does more then swimming.. ever stop to consider that?

OP:
    Look at Polar.. and decide what you want it to do. I know both my FT7 and FT60 can go in water.. I've never personally tried it, but they are able too.
  • himiller3
    Options

The back of my FT7 cheststrap monitor reads: 30M. I'd say that's plenty waterproof enough for swimming in a pool.. The instruction manual also says both the watch and the chest strap are safe for swimming use.
  • BlueEyedTXmom
    Options
    Ok when I went to the Polar website and use their product finder and select swimming as my activity the RS100, FT4 and the FT7 come up. Those are the only ones that come up. I think the CRX5 might only be in the UK? When I google it I don't find any US sites. One of the reviews on Amazon says the FT4 is water resistant. But is this just for the watch or also the chest strap?
  • BlueEyedTXmom
    Options

The back of my FT7 cheststrap monitor reads: 30M. I'd say that's plenty waterproof enough for swimming in a pool.. The instruction manual also says both the watch and the chest strap are safe for swimming use.

Thank you! That is what I needed to know, that the chest strap is ok in the water. Most watches are.
  • fitjunk
    fitjunk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I can use my Polar FT60 in the pool! Love it! Seems that we did read the OP carefully. :laugh:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Ok when I went to the Polar website and use their product finder and select swimming as my activity the RS100, FT4 and the FT7 come up. Those are the only ones that come up. I think the CRX5 might only be in the UK? When I google it I don't find any US sites. One of the reviews on Amazon says the FT4 is water resistant. But is this just for the watch or also the chest strap?

What that poster meant is RCX5(So damn pushy about his HRM and can't even spell it right.. shows how much he knows!) Plus it's 400 dollars according to the Polar site.. so unless you have a serious chunk of change to drop, I'd avoid it.

When Polar says water resistant both the watch and the strap are, up to 30 meters as another poster stated. Just don't push the buttons of the watch in the water..make sure you are fully standing up before doing so.

Also wash the strap well after to get the chlorine out.
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    POLAR FT60 !!
    I love it! I'm a swimmer and it performs great IMO.