Abs and running: 60+ pounds lost with pics!

Options
124»

Replies

• jdbeckers
    Options
    I am always amazed at these success stories, to see how people turn their lives around. You have done great! Thanks for sharing your story!!
  • Seventoad
    Seventoad Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic, great job. Just wondering, how tall are you?
  • DelightITL
    DelightITL Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That is great! I am using running as one of my primary exercises so your story is an inspiration. Keep it up!

9794827.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Wow, well done what an achievement (I'm just starting out with the same amount of weight to lose).

Oh and nice abs!!!

x
  • Noorkitty
    Options
    Running is my weakest "talent" how did you build up to 5k ? thats my dream. To give you an idea of my fitness level..
    I workout 3-4 times a week Spinning, Boxing, Stregth training and Yoga

I can only run one day and I can only manage a max of 5 mins.

Sounds like you're running too fast when you do run. And that'll only do one thing - kill you after the same length of time every time. Slow it down, big time, to a jog where you can chat to someone, or sing along to the music (in a breathy & not very tuneful fashion). If you get too tired, walk for a couple of minutes to recover then jog slowly again. And repeat until you've had enough. As it gets easier, you'll get the jogging going longer, the walking needing less. Keep it slow and it'll work. Faster will come by itself without trying.

You can also shorten your strength workouts and stick some running on the end. Or intersperse sets with 5 mins on the treadmill, but again, keep it steady so you can breathe.

And to the OP, I'm well impressed! Congrats on your happiness :D

Thank you so much, this is really very helpful, ESP the slow running bit. You are right that is the mistake I am making. I feel better now. Slower 'jogs' while I build my fitness
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Outstanding job!!!! Thanks for the insriration!
  • thomaslh83
    thomaslh83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Everybody has been do kind and encouraging. Thank you all for your thoughtful words and comments. I know some of you have been asking about what I've been doing for my nutrition/exercise routine. The only way that we can achieve our goals is by setting small, realistic goals that are achievable over a long period of time. Baby steps.

I did not go out of my house one day to run and expect to finish a mile in 7 minutes. It took time and training before I could get to that point. For those that are interested here's a brief timeline of what I've been doing:

I Started off MFP by still eating foods I liked, but I cut back on my portions. The one thing I did cut completely out of my food intake, and still have to this date, has been sugary soft drinks. Along with that, I did very light exercise which only consisted of walking at first (20-30 minutes a day). After the first couple of weeks, my body was starting to burn up stored fat. As my weight dropped, I would have to consistently readjust my goals for the week and I started increasing the intensity of my workouts. I moved from walking to light interval training, which consisted of a combination of strength, cardio, and ab exercises. Most of my workouts averaged 20-30 minutes. For my food, I slowly started to incorporate healthier options. Here are some of the foods I started introducing into my daily routine:

Breakfast - Greek yogurt, boiled eggs, fiber bars, bananas, egg whites, high fiber cereals, peanut butter (organic)
    Snacks - Trail mix, fruit, almonds
    Lunch - Whole grain/whole wheat breads and pastas, lean meats (turkey, chicken, fish), brown rice, mixed vegetables
    Dinner - Same as lunch - some combination of bread, vegetable and meat

I would still eat a variety of other foods as well, but I would always try to make the majority of my meals center around these basic food groups. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy to occasionally splurge on a nice treat every now and then, just as long as its within reason and does not completely undo my work for that day.

Back to the running now. After my body got used to walking, I started to do light jogging/walking intervals where I would rotate between jogging and running every 1-2 minutes. As my body started to increase in endurance, then I increased the intensities of my jogging/running to maybe jogging 3-5 minutes then walk 1-2 minutes. I kept doing that until I could get to the point of jogging/running without stopping for 8-10 minutes. The first time I jogged a 5k distance without stopping was a hard task, but I was so proud of myself after I completed it in 35 minutes. If you're a competitive person and like to improve your times, then one thing I would suggest is to give yourself a goal of completing a distance run in a reasonable time frame. For example, one approach would be to jog/run a 5k in under 60 minutes. If you complete it in under 60 minutes, then aim for doing it again by trying to beat your previous time. That is always a good motivator for me. One thing I would recommend is that if this is your first time running a long distance such as a 5 or 10k, I would suggest only running that distance once a week. The other times you run for exercise, you should always run 50-75% of those distances so that you don't wear your body out. And it's okay to take walking breaks if you need to. Always listen to your body - you know its limits. I know some of you have mentioned C25k program and that's another good alternative as well. I've heard a lot of good success stories from that program and it's a great option for those who are looking at easing into a running regiment.

When I compare my first 5k time to my fastest time to date, it has improved by about 14 minutes. When I look at myself now and reflect back on how I used to live, I never thought in a million years that I would enjoy running. If you are truly adamant about losing weight and living a healthier and active lifestyle, then it will fuel your passion to do whatever it takes to achieve your goals. Just remember to achieve your goals sensibly and safely. And don't be afraid to make mistakes and fail. I didn't always do things perfectly. I have messed up a lot during my progress and I still do today. If you mess up on your diet or exercise, it's not the end of the world. Just put it behind you and try harder the next day. If you consistently fail, then you may need to reexamine your motivation and your efforts. Remember - your desire will fuel your passion. The weight does not come off over night. You have to be willing and committed if you want to make things happen. I have no doubt in my mind that many of you can do this.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!