what does everyone think of fasting a day or 2 a month?

Options
Can fasting be a good tool in flushing out the system a couple times a month? What are your ideas. I always lose weight when I get sick and can't eat anything at all, I do not gain it back either. Sometimes that is the only way I move down the scale. I would love to hear your opinions about fasting. Can you do it? It is very hard for me to take the step of only drinking and not eating for an entire day since I hate the feeling of being hungry.

Replies

• Byn73
    Byn73 Posts: 20
    Options
    I think a day once a month would be ok. And yes I agree a good way to detox. You could maybe go on a one day juice diet, lots of yummy fresh juices, but that may not be good in regards to amount of calories. I dont think I could get through a day with out eating something, if I did I would have to get away from the family (might be rather grumpy) and certainly couldnt do it at work.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I think I will stick to water and tea today with a splash of milk and resume the 1200 calories tomorrow. Hopefully it will get my weight moving downwards :). I think this will help. If it is once in a while I cannot see how it would do any harm and only help in the long run. That is if I can do it. It is lunch time and I am hanging in there, not really hungry because of all that i have been drinking. The evening is the hardest time for me.
  • leestanley3
    leestanley3 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I fast every Thursday. No poroblems, so long as I drink plenty of water through out the day otherwise I get dehydrated and headachey. Its the old cave man tradition of east stop eat. I think it also shocks your body into utilising fat more effieciently. I only do it on a day of no activity would not recommend any exercise or hard physical work.

These are the guidelines I follow

http://stronglifts.com/eat-stop-eat-brad-pilon-fasting-review/
  • appleseeds
    appleseeds Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    When i read about eat stop eat in December I tried it and I went OK with the self control the other day, but 2 days after. Eeek. I felt so weak and tired, I couldn't stop myself and I ended eating over my maintenance Cal's for 4 days.

I would like to try it again but I'm scared its a bad idea given that experience.
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    It's not something I would do, but hey - if you think it's a good thing for you - go for it. :flowerforyou:
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    wow every Thursday, that is great. I am not sure I can do it every week but it is worth a try. I think the weight will go down quicker this way and it will flush out the system too which cannot be a bad thing. Due to my anemia, hard core exercise is out of the question till I get a handle on that. Looking forward to getting my mojo back, more energy and trying this fasting out for size.
  • Aroz25
    Aroz25 Posts: 40
    Options
    I have heard a lot about juice fasting lately and I think it can be good sometimes. But if your body isn't used to it maybe start slowly by replacing one meal each day with fruit/vegetable juices until you can manage the full day with just the juices and then work your way back to full meals again by replacing one meal each day. I know some people have tried the 30 day juice fast but that seems like something that would take a lot of will power if your body isn't used to it and if you don't have a proper juicing plan set out to make sure you reach your full nuitritional requirements each day. I would probably recommend taking vitamins and minerals too just to make sure you aren't depriving your body too much
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    with juice fasting I think you might as well be eating the fruit and veggies instead. It is more satisfying to me.