headaches????

Options
ok, so am 4 days into MFP and loving it, only problem is i woke up with a really bad headache... i am not prone to headaches and just wondered if the change in my diet could be down to this? anyone else ever experienced this?... if so, how long is it likely to last? thanks

Replies

• castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    It could be, if you have radically changed what you are eating. Your body could be experiencing withdrawal from one of many things, depending on what you used to eat and what you've been eating for the last few days. Make sure you drink plenty of water.

Hope they pass soon!
  • dizzydi1968
    Options
    this sounds like sugar and caffeine withdrawal, its pretty miserable but only lasts a few days. Drink loads of water and take painkillers if necessary.

Good luck with your weightloss.
  • charm9
    charm9 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. I was suffering terrible headaches. I had cut down majorly on caffeine and also sugary snacks so I was probably suffering from withdrawal. It does get better. Drink plenty of water throughout the day, it really helped me. I try to avoid taking painkillers and have found that making sure I'm hydrated I feel so much better.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Yeah I never get headaches, when I first started the diet I felt terrible, headaches and light headed a lot...after a few days it went away.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    You should make your food diary visible, it would help us help you. Without seeing what you're eating, it's hard to say why. But if you were a pretty hardcore sugar or caffeine addict and you've cut those things out, it could be withdrawals. Also, if you're low carb and not getting enough sodium, you'll become dehydrated (even if you're drinking water) and that will cause headaches.
  • LoveActually
    LoveActually Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    That happened to me as well. My first week back on the healthy eating wagon after the holidays was misearable. I had a headache everyday for a week. Then my body adjusted and I have been fine ever since.

Good luck on your journey.
  • julie2downsize
    Options
    i am a serial dieter, and whenever i start dieting i always get bad headaches for the 1st week its like your body reacting to lack of suger or caffine.
  • Mrsairforce
    Options
    I get really bad headaches whenever I go over in sodium or go more than 1700 in sodium.
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I get rotten headaches if I don't drink enough :smile:
  • WifedUpMartin
    WifedUpMartin Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    That happened to me as well. My first week back on the healthy eating wagon after the holidays was misearable. I had a headache everyday for a week. Then my body adjusted and I have been fine ever since.

Good luck on your journey.

This is exactly what I was going to say. It will get better soon!! Good luck!
  • swissmiss1952
    Options
    I wake up with headaches, usually the morning after I have done some strenuous exercise. My muscles tighten up in the night, causing the tension headache.
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    My headaches usually happen if I have gluten or cow products (cheese, milk, etc) - or if I don't drink enough water, dry sinuses etc. & I agree with everyone else, if I eliminate "junk" food (foods that are processed - additives and preservatives) I get headaches mostly due to the fact of my withdrawals. They should pass. You haven't - by any chance - bumped your head real hard or anything, did you? Are they progressively getting worse? Are they waking you up at night? Are they causing you to vomit? If any of those are yes, then you need to get to a doctor immediately.

ETA: Severe headaches in the morning, immediately relieved when laying down flat, but spike once sitting up or standing up is a serious condition. My son had these symptoms among many others and required brain surgery. Not to freak you out, but keep in mind that some headaches are life threatening.
  • jenkinsjerry
    jenkinsjerry Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    This likely could be brought on by early onset, 'starvation mode', where your reduced calorie approach causes your body to go into the, "save what I'm getting" mode. Typically this can lead to less than normal waste management, and or constipation... Try upping your fiber a bit to see if this brings on better processing of what you are taking in. "Fiber One" makes a 90 calorie bar now that come in many great flavors. They taste great and really work... Be advised.

Now caffeine withdrawal -- that's an entirely different thing. If you've given up caffeine, that will cause anyone and everyone to get headaches, that will in fact go away a few days after your body and system adjusts to doing without the stimulant. :glasses:
  • smittenmikish
    Options
    Water.... Water.... Water.... Water....

Best cure for headaches ever? Water! :)