It's Soup Season!

Options
Winter months are great for savory soups. Please share any of the low cal soups you like to make or buy that can really satisfy your hunger and fill your quota of protein and veggies.
I like that you can freeze them as well.
My latest soup contains:

chicken thigh meat
onions
celery
carrots
small white beans
italian green beans
corn
brown rice
chicken base

It's even better when I add cooked lentils and chopped spinach or kale.

Any good beef based soups out there?

Replies

• soozship
    soozship Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I made turkey soup last night... Finally! Used the turkey carcass from Christmas. It was perfect and exactly what we all needed in this weather!

I'd love to see some more soup recipes. Does anybody have a good butternut squash recipe?
  • kate_n_pjs
    kate_n_pjs Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I make a vegan soup every week to have for lunch throughout the week.
    This weeks soup is "beef less" vegetable soup
    vegetable bouilon, herbs, potatoes, peas, corn, kale, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, diced tomatoes and Lightlife crumbles

Another good one is Pumpkin or butternut squash with kale and corn... I like to make that one spicy with fresh jalapeño peppers!!! The squash gets a little mushy and creates a creamy texture.
  • Kevww1982
    Options
    Cauliflower Soup

Serves 8

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 medium onion (6 ounces), sliced thin

1 head very fresh cauliflower (about 1-1/2 pounds), broken into florets

Salt, to taste

5 1/2 cups water, divided

Extra virgin olive oil, to taste

Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Warm the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pan. Sweat the onion in the olive oil over low heat without letting it brown for 15 minutes.

Add the cauliflower, salt to taste, and 1/2 cup water. Raise the heat slightly, cover the pot tightly and stew the cauliflower for 15 to 18 minutes, or until tender. Then add another 4 1/2 cups hot water, bring to a low simmer and cook an additional 20 minutes uncovered.

Working in batches, purée the soup in a blender to a very smooth, creamy consistency. Let the soup stand for 20 minutes. In this time it will thicken slightly. I used my stick blender. .

Thin the soup with 1/2 cup hot water. Reheat the soup. Serve hot, drizzled with a thin stream of extra-virgin olive oil and freshly ground black pepper.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I usually skip the grains (even barley) when I make soup. That said, my beef vegetable soup is sooo good (now you've got me wanting to make a pot!). I usually make it with:

beef base
    stew meat
    beef soup bone
    caramelized red onion sauteed in a little butter (put in the pan before the base)
    raw red onion
    scant amount of red potatoes, skin-on
    handful of sweet corn kernels
    cut green beans
    spinach
    green cabbage (lots of cabbage!)
    cut carrots (never baby carrots!)
    celery
    lots of diced tomatoes
    tomato juice
    garlic
    thyme
    seasoned salt
    black cracked pepper

Occasionally some white canneloni beans. Yummy!
  • idperry
    idperry Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Is there any good low calorie soups like Campbells Creations. . . but with less sodium?
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Carrot and Leek Soup

Simple to make, this soup can be served hot or cold.

# 4 tablespoons (60 g) unsalted butter
    # 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamon
    # 3 medium leeks, white and light green parts only, washed well and cut across into 1/2-inch (1-cm) lengths
    # 5 large carrots, peeled and cut across into thin slices
    # 3 cups (750 ml) Basic Chicken Stock (page 345) or commercial chicken broth
    # 1/2 cup (125 ml) heavy cream
    # Kosher salt, to taste
    # Freshly ground white pepper, to taste

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the cardamom and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the leeks. Cover with a lid and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in the carrots and stock. Bring to a boil.
    Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 13 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.

In a food processor or blender, purée the soup. If using a blender, work in batches of no more than 2 cups (500 ml). Stir in the cream. The soup can be made up to 2 days ahead and refrigerated.

Remove from the refrigerator and serve cold, or heat through to serve hot. Season with salt and white pepper.

Makes 6 cups (1.5 L); 4 to 5 first-course servings

This is our favorite soup!
  • raines_eric
    Options
    I found a link through Cooking Light Magazine's website for 101 soups the other day and took several out of this, since it IS in fact soup season:

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/quick-healthy/healthy-soup-recipes-00412000070018/
  • lacf86
    lacf86 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Does anybody have a good butternut squash recipe?

yes! the Jamie Oliver butternut squash soup recipe is delicious =) also, it says serves 8, but it always goes further than that for me, haha.

• olive oil
    • 16 fresh sage leaves
    2 red onion, peeled and chopped
    • 2 sticks of celery, trimmed and chopped
    • 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
    • 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
    • 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary, leaves picked
    • ½–1 fresh red chilli, to taste, deseeded and finely chopped
    • sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • 2kg butternut squash, onion squash, or musque de Provence, halved, deseeded and cut into chunks
    • 2 litres good-quality chicken or vegetable stock
    • extra virgin olive oil

in fact, here's the link...http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetarian-recipes/superb-squash-soup-with-the-best-parmesa
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Leek & Potato Soup

Rough guide

2 Potatos (250g) - peeled and cubed
    4 Leeks - trimmed and sliced
    1 onion - sliced
    1.5 litres of stock
    Butter

Soften the onions and garlic in the butter
    add the potatos and stock, bring to boil, simmer for 30 mins
    Blitz in a blender
    season to taste

Despite the butter it is very low cal.
  • jjolley1
    jjolley1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Recipe for Thai-Spiced Coconut Squash Soup
    • Preparation time:
    10 mins
    • Cooking time:
    35 minutes
    Ingredients
    • 1 tbsp sunflower oil
    • 2 chopped onions
    • 1 stick celery
    • 2 clove(s) garlic chopped
    • 2 cm (1in) piece of grated ginger
    • 1 tbsp thai red or green curry paste
    • 500 g peeled and chopped squash
    • 750 ml (1¼ pints) stock
    • 250 ml (8fl oz) coconut milk
    • chopped coriander
    • chopped chilli
    Method
    • Heat 1tbsp sunflower oil and soften 2 chopped onions with 1 stick celery, 2 chopped garlic cloves and a 2cm (1in) piece of grated ginger.
    • Stir in 1tbsp Thai red or green curry paste and 500g (1lb) peeled and chopped squash. Cook for 2 minutes, then add 750ml (1¼ pints) stock. Simmer for 20-25 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
    • Add 250ml (8fl oz) coconut milk, season and purée with a stick blender. Add more water if it’s too thick. Serve with chopped coriander and chilli.