body fat vs actual weight...?

Options
Hi all, basically I am a female fashion model trying to get in the best shape I can after the odd christmas pound or two! I weigh 133 pounds and I am 5ft 11, and I eat very healthily - small portions, fruit and veg, no junk, eating around 800-1000 calories a day and going to the gym and/or bikram yoga at least everyday if not 6 times a week. I recently have undertaken personal training sessions, and on my goals discussion (which is lean, lithe thighs and smaller butt/hips - NOT bulky/muscular) my body fat was measured and it turned out to be a whopping 28.5!!! I don't really understand this as I am very healthy and active and that is high for someone of my weight, so I'm a bit confused? Is it my diet or exercise? I just want to be the leanest I can be with no bulk, a la victorias secret models I suppose...any advice? I can give a sample of my food diary/exercise plan if needed! Thanks so much for your help!

Replies

• tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    you need to increase your lean muscle mass, to lower your body fat. This comes from lifting weights, higher weights, lower reps. 2-3 times a week.

No you WILL NOT get bulky doing so. In fact you will tighten up.

But thats the only way to change that BF number.

You are very likely going to need to adjust your calorie levels higher as well, and make sure you have higher protein levels, to allow your body to begin to improve the muscle you have.

Many of the VS girls do incorporate some strength/resistance training in their routines as well.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi all, basically I am a female fashion model trying to get in the best shape I can after the odd christmas pound or two! I weigh 133 pounds and I am 5ft 11, and I eat very healthily - small portions, fruit and veg, no junk, eating around 800-1000 calories a day and going to the gym and/or bikram yoga at least everyday if not 6 times a week. I recently have undertaken personal training sessions, and on my goals discussion (which is lean, lithe thighs and smaller butt/hips - NOT bulky/muscular) my body fat was measured and it turned out to be a whopping 28.5!!! I don't really understand this as I am very healthy and active and that is high for someone of my weight, so I'm a bit confused? Is it my diet or exercise? I just want to be the leanest I can be with no bulk, a la victorias secret models I suppose...any advice? I can give a sample of my food diary/exercise plan if needed! Thanks so much for your help!

Your body fat is very high due to your very low calorie diet. Eating that amount does several things; preserve body fat, kills muscle mass due to your bodies need to energy so it robs the muscle of amino acids, kills your metabolism since you are decreasing lean muscle mass and doesn't provide nutrition.

Second, a woman can't get bulky. Those fitness people, like jillian michaels who has a lot of muscle works 3+ hours a day to get that. You need to eat more calories and work on body recomposition. This means, you will probably gain weight, but your body will decrease in size (see example below). This means we need to figure out your TDEE which base on your info of 133, 28% body fat and working out 5-6 day s a week your TDEE (using Katch McArdle) would be 2256 calories (amount of calories you would burn on average thoughout the day). This is actually your starting point for calories to consume. Now you can do body recomposition by taking 20% off that number to maintain weight and lose body fat. So you should be eating at least 1800 calories a day.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    As previously said... very low cals and little to no strength training are 2 big reasons your are where you are. You are what people on this site often call skinny-fat: slender, but a relatively high body fat and relatively low muscle/definition.

Add some protein to your diet and start lifting. I'd bump up your cals so you're netting 1500 or so. Probably should double or triple your protein intake - based on your stats I'd be shooting for 90-100g of protein each day... that's 400cals right there.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I am the same height as you (just for a point of reference), I do not want to be thin (I NEVER thought I'd say that!!), I want to be muscular (not Arnold muscular, Jamie Eason muscular), so our goals are different. I weigh a whopping 30 pounds more than you!! My body fat % is about 23% (my goal is about 17%). But if you would like to cut the body fat, you will have to do some strength training as the others have suggested. You will likely weigh more, so you'll have to ignore the scale for a while (I know, shocking!!) and watch how your clothes fit instead.

I also eat double what you eat (that's where that extra 30 pounds comes from!!). And I am well within the healthy weight range for our height.

Good luck with your goals...

A very interesting look at body fat %, this really opened my eyes...

Edited to add link: http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    its going to be IMPOSSIBLE for you to get bulky lifting weights.
    you WANT to gain muscle mass... thats what "toned" is.... lower bodyfat at the same body weight because of greater muscle.. but you're female... its almost impossible for you to gain enough muscle to appear bulky.

the ONLY "bulky" females i have ever seen in my life are pro bodybuilders that do insane things that you're years of extreme training away from being capable of doing. its impossible for you to get bulky.

i honestly dont know where females get this idea from.. that they'll just touch some weights and get massive.. guys cant do that, and we have the hormones to build it as fast as possible. yet girls think just touching some weights will make them massive.

on the flip side, theres the girls that lift weights, but only tiny ones.. this does nothing. how can you gain muscle lifing a weight thats light? you cant. it doesnt happen.

whats bad is you see this alot, so its "accepted".. yet if you look around the average person has average results.. and the average results are ZERO. its join gym, spin your wheels, quit gym.
    dont be average.
    learn how your body works.... then work toward your goals. for 99% of us, that involves lifting weights. heavy weights that progressively get heavier. big compound movements that use all our muscles. no machines.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Just as a reference, females cannot get bulky without steroids. It is almost impossible. Hormones.
    Here is why:
    http://www.fitness-nutrition-weightloss.com/can-women-get-bulky-from-lifting-weights.html
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    As previously said... very low cals and little to no strength training are 2 big reasons your are where you are. You are what people on this site often call skinny-fat: slender, but a relatively high body fat and relatively low muscle/definition.

Add some protein to your diet and start lifting. I'd bump up your cals so you're netting 1500 or so. Probably should double or triple your protein intake - based on your stats I'd be shooting for 90-100g of protein each day... that's 400cals right there.

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

Let me just add that I used to be 5'4" 100 pounds, and my body fat was 21%, now I am 110 pounds and my body fat is 17% and my clothes fit better than they used to. I lift heavy weights and eat 1500-1800 calories a day from eating approx 800-1000 a day before.
  • elg1982
    elg1982 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My body fat was measured and it turned out to be a whopping 28.5!!!

That's not "whopping." It's in the healthy range. Women need at least 15- 20% for our reproductive system to function normally and menstruate. See this link for the chart devised by the World Health Organization:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/library/blbodyfatcharts.htm
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    My body fat was measured and it turned out to be a whopping 28.5!!!

That's not "whopping." It's in the healthy range. Women need at least 15- 20% for our reproductive system to function normally and menstruate. See this link for the chart devised by the World Health Organization:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/library/blbodyfatcharts.htm

Actually, 28.5% body fat for a very thin woman is quite high. It's where the term "skinny fat" comes from. OP, I'd suggest adding strength training to your exercise regimen. See a personal trainer, they can help you get started if you haven't done resistance training before. It won't bulk you up, but it will burn up some of that visceral fat and you'll be healthier, and possibly even leaner.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat more, especially more protein, and strength train. Doing those did AMAZING things to my body shape, without losing many pounds.

But also... how was your body fat percentage measured? If it was from a scale, those can be very inaccurate. Calipers are good, if the person knows what they're doing. Online calculators vary greatly... I've seen some that give me 30% bf, and some that say I'm 15%. Personally, I like this one - http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html - and I've seen others say it's more accurate than others, even if it is an estimate. Dexa Scan or a Bod Pod are the most accurate.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Is this seriously a real thread? I have a hard time believing this is a real question from a real person who isn't bullsh!tting.

And 800-1000 calories? Are you kidding me?

Do your heart and body a favor:
    To second what's already been said...eat about 700-1000 more calories a day
    Pick up some weights and strength train along with cardio

And get rid of any misconceived ideas of getting bulky....extremely hard for a woman to do

women2blifting2bweights.jpg
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Is this seriously a real thread? I have a hard time believing this is a real question from a real person who isn't bullsh!tting.

And get rid of any misconceived ideas of getting bulky....extremely hard for a woman to do

And even that second pictures takes A TON of time/work/dedication.
  • Sofithomas
    Options
    Thank you SO much for all your help everyone, and this is generally my diet I just do not feel any sort of hunger, I can go from having two egg whites in the morning till about 5 in the evening easily....I always though calories in calories out so low cal will burn fat? :S I'm not good at this hahah....I have my next session on sat, as predicted I am very good at cardio but can barely lift 5kg dumbbells, how embarrassing...I just don't ever really feel the need to eat and want to stay as lean/thin as possible so never really thought about weight training, but will give it a go!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thank you SO much for all your help everyone, and this is generally my diet I just do not feel any sort of hunger, I can go from having two egg whites in the morning till about 5 in the evening easily....I always though calories in calories out so low cal will burn fat? :S I'm not good at this hahah....I have my next session on sat, as predicted I am very good at cardio but can barely lift 5kg dumbbells, how embarrassing...I just don't ever really feel the need to eat and want to stay as lean/thin as possible so never really thought about weight training, but will give it a go!

You dont feel the need to eat because you have mentally trained yourself to ignore hunger. And really until you get past that, it will be more difficult to burn body fat and increase lean muscle mass. It's simple, food is fuel. Without it, you won't succeed. So it comes down to how much do you want it and if you really want to make yourself look better.
  • Sofithomas
    Options
    No I really really want to lean out and look good, so if it means eating a bit more I don't mind - I'm just scared ill overeat as apparently my bmr is 1500, so do I want to go over/under that?
  • kanata
    kanata Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have nothing more to add as everyone's advice is spot on!
    I did have to quote this as this picture is so true! <3

• No I really really want to lean out and look good, so if it means eating a bit more I don't mind - I'm just scared ill overeat as apparently my bmr is 1500, so do I want to go over/under that?

I felt the same way when I started - I was eating 1200 a day, but when I hit a plateau people suggested I up my calories. I bumped it up from 1200 to 1390 thinking "Okay, I'm definitely going to regret this when I gain 5 pounds." But I actually DROPPED 5 pounds instead. Then a few weeks later bumped it up to 1620 and gained 2 pounds, but dropped from 26% BF to 24% BF - STILL looking even leaner than I did before the 2 pound gain.

Honestly, I would discuss this with your personal trainer. He/she will definitely know what they're talking about. If you want, you can add me and I can help ya out too! I'm a health nut/fitness freak/nutrition nerd, study exercise science as my major in college, and work as a fitness instructer at the Y. Good luck!!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    No I really really want to lean out and look good, so if it means eating a bit more I don't mind - I'm just scared ill overeat as apparently my bmr is 1500, so do I want to go over/under that?

Over, look at my first post. YOu should be around 1800 calories a day. i will say, you wan to slowly increase your calorie to allow your body to adjust. Add 200 calories every two weeks until you hit 1800 per day. You might see some additional water weight but it will come off. Also don't expect short term results, it takes time. If you really want to tone up, look into P90X or P90X2, insanity, turbo fire.... they are all great programs that can help but require huge amounts of food to work.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You dont feel the need to eat because you have mentally trained yourself to ignore hunger. And really until you get past that, it will be more difficult to burn body fat and increase lean muscle mass. It's simple, food is fuel. Without it, you won't succeed. So it comes down to how much do you want it and if you really want to make yourself look better.

Every word of this, and I used to be the same way when I was younger. An inconsistent appetite, very thin (think Kate Moss circa early 90s), but not happy with my body composition. I didn't realize I could change it, though. Fashion magazines never talked about weight lifting, and the internet was only for eggheads. :tongue:

Check this link and see how eating a LOT more, strength training, and gaining weight can make you look a LOT leaner and smaller: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • shellbell525
    Options
    bump, lots of great info