Question about bronchitis...

Options
ccano
ccano Posts: 149 Member
I'm so frustrated. My little sister brought home what I can only guess is bronchitis. She and my mom have been sick for awhile. I finally caught the bug last Monday night when I started very light coughing. Tuesday morning I woke up and it was on. Fever, headache, achey body, a little bit of nasal congestion but not too much, and COUGHING. Lots of coughing. I stayed in bed for two days trying to let it pass. I haven't been to the gym at all for a week and I haven't been paying much attention to my diet. If anything, though, I've probably eaten too little.

Today I still have that shortness-of-breath feeling with the occasional cough here and there (still with phlegm and whatnot). My body feels fine. I no longer have a fever or anything like that. I really want to get back to the gym but I don't want to start up again too soon. How long does bronchitis last? It seems like it just won't freakin' go away. Yesterday I did some ab exercises here at home, although my coughing was worse yesterday than it is today.

I just really hate not going to the gym and I want to get back to my routine.

Replies

• ccano
    Options
    I'm so frustrated. My little sister brought home what I can only guess is bronchitis. She and my mom have been sick for awhile. I finally caught the bug last Monday night when I started very light coughing. Tuesday morning I woke up and it was on. Fever, headache, achey body, a little bit of nasal congestion but not too much, and COUGHING. Lots of coughing. I stayed in bed for two days trying to let it pass. I haven't been to the gym at all for a week and I haven't been paying much attention to my diet. If anything, though, I've probably eaten too little.

Today I still have that shortness-of-breath feeling with the occasional cough here and there (still with phlegm and whatnot). My body feels fine. I no longer have a fever or anything like that. I really want to get back to the gym but I don't want to start up again too soon. How long does bronchitis last? It seems like it just won't freakin' go away. Yesterday I did some ab exercises here at home, although my coughing was worse yesterday than it is today.

I just really hate not going to the gym and I want to get back to my routine.
  • Heather125
    Heather125 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about bronchitis but I'd check with your doctor the are a few nasty bugs that fit your discription around my area right now hope you feel better soon:flowerforyou:
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    I'm not a doctor or anything, but I've been a chronic sufferer of bronchitis for years due to allergies. That said, bronchitis is usually a secondary illness brought on by something else, like a cold, a sinus infection, or mild pneumonia. True bronchitis can stay in your lungs for months without treatment. If it's not bronchitis and just an infection/virus that caused coughing and mucus buildup, then it usually clears up within 10-14 days.

I used to get bronchitis because of sinus infections and I'd suffer at least twice a year. Thankfully I was in the military and had free medical care. Bronchitis can become chronic and worsen with time if not treated. (and it can lead to scar tissue inside the lungs which can cause permanent respiratory problems) Usually, doctors like to take x-rays to confirm it and treatment often involves a steroid drug.

Long story short, if you pass the 2 week mark without improvement, I'd see a doctor.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    between the Flu, Allergies, and all those other Cold's bugs that are going around + I don't know about the weather where your at the weather here is flippin from hot to cold constantly. Pump up on vitamin C.
    I didn't think Bronchitis was contagious?

Hope you feel better- get your rest- You don't want to make it worse pushin yourself at the gym-
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/understanding-bronchitis-basics Here's some good info on bronchitis.

Also, bronchitis in and of itself is not considered contagious... but the primary infection that led to bronchitis may have been (cold, flu, etc)
  • ccano
    Options
    Thanks guys. Maybe it's not bronchitis then. The worst of it only lasted 2-3 days and I'm getting better everyday. I'm not 100% better yet...but close.

And yeah it went from nearly 80 degrees last weekend to 40 degrees within a few days.
  • perichad
    perichad Posts: 7
    Options
    Color in the sputum need antibiotics, clear - no need for antibiotics