Chunky thighs help!!

Help I've always had muscly thighs it's not fat or cellulite just muscle for some reason even before I put on weight and then lost it I've always had them, so out of proportion to the rest of me. It makes me feel really self conscious I'm 117lbs and comfortable with my weight but do you think if I aimed to loose another 5-0 pounds it'd make a difference or am I just clutching at straws lol I need help.com!! Xx

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    You can't change genetics, unfortunately.
  • Booooooo!! Is there any specific exercises I can do that would help them shrink or would it just add to the muscle xx
  • jrsey86
    jrsey86 Posts: 186 Member
    I have the same problem!! I inherited my grandma's sense of humor and her tree-trunk thighs. =P The most effective thing I found was a combination of running and yoga. Even when I was running regularly, I was embarassed that they jiggled, but yoga tightened them up a bit for me.

Hope that helps! =D
  • Ballet or pilates are really helpful. I have really long legs but chunky thighs and bum (mostly fat i must add!!!) But i started doing a ballet DVD- i cant remeber the name but ill try, and also started doing pilates (darcey bustle-pilates for life) and my lower half changed. I didnt notice it but my boyfriend definatly did- and at the time he didnt know i was trying to change things- things looked longer and leaner.

I stopped bothering then, but i have recently re started with the hope the same effects will apply!

I am not a dancer- think drunk and angry Rhino- and i am not flexible....BUT the DVDs i have used have been so good. Try it :) cant hurt can it??? thats a lie-the ballet one KILLS but its fun :)

good luck x
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Not much you can do. Your body shape is genetically determined, for the most part. If your thighs are muscular, embrace that! A lot of women would kill for what you have. You could try to lose another 5 lbs or so, and it may make a difference.. but it's more likely that it's just the way you're shaped.
  • mizjohnston
    mizjohnston Posts: 196 Member
    Help I've always had muscly thighs it's not fat or cellulite just muscle for some reason even before I put on weight and then lost it I've always had them, so out of proportion to the rest of me. It makes me feel really self conscious I'm 117lbs and comfortable with my weight but do you think if I aimed to loose another 5-0 pounds it'd make a difference or am I just clutching at straws lol I need help.com!! Xx

All I have to say is I would take your muscle any day hands down! I am trying to build muscle in my legs because it needs it. Embrace it girl. Trust me its a lot better then flabby thighs that isn't any fun lol
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    First off most will say you can't spot reduce.... and I agree but you can target certain areas. I know that running really helped tone my thighs. I would suggest that and if you don't currently run try the couch to 5K (c25K) program or one simular. It also sounds scary but lifting with help too. That would tone your body as well :wink:

p.s. my mom lovingly (no really it was with love) called me Thunder Thighs in high school :laugh: so I know what you are talking about.
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Muscular legs are HAWT!! Be proud of what you have darling!! My legs are muscular and I have just learned to embrace them. Hey they could be all jiggly and flabby so be happy youve got some tone to your legs :flowerforyou:
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member

I am not a dancer- think drunk and angry Rhino- and i am not flexible....BUT the DVDs i have used have been so good. Try it :) cant hurt can it??? thats a lie-the ballet one KILLS but its fun :)

This made me laugh so much, I am the same way! I will have to try out a dance dvd and try to avoid hunters on safari...
  • SKHaz1
    SKHaz1 Posts: 145 Member
    I danced competitively for 13 years so I got the thighs! I'm also short so I think I look un-proportionate as well. I'm also in PT school so i got some exercises for you to do!

Someone mentioned pilates which is great! Some of these are pilates moves...
    1. Lie on your side. Lift the top leg up and down. You can do this move or you can go half way through the range and hold it. Try pulsing your leg to make it harder. This targets your hip abductors.
    2. Still lying on your side, take your top leg and bend it in front of you so you can move the bottom leg. Do the same motion of lifting the bottom leg up and down. Obviously you wont be getting as much movement with this leg, but this is targeting your inner thighs.
    3. You can also squeeze a ball btw your knees (in sitting) to strengthen you inner thighs as well.
    4. You can also do lunges, hamstring curls, squats to target that area.

But like everyone said what you have to work with is what you have to work with! Good luck!
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    PILATES! I come from big-thighed families (both sides, ugh) and have always hated my thighs. When I started pilates, they really slimmed down and now I enjoy my thighs. I will probably never have that thigh gap but I am really happy with how much better they look now.