Zumba - couple of questions

Options
2»

Replies

• MrsKite
    MrsKite Posts: 35
    Options
    Zumba ® Fitness instructor here!! Age and weight make a difference when calculating how may calories you burn doing Zumba ®.

I'm 49, 161 lbs.... my average heart rate during a class is 155 my high is 175. I burn 850 calories in 60 minutes.

If I am teaching Zumba ® Gold my average heart rate is 121, my high is 136 I burn 644 calories in 60 minutes.
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5 and 180 my average hr is 150 and I burn 500-550 calories in an hour class.

I dont like doing it at home as much. I really feel more motivated to do it in a class full of energized people!
  • NicolioRussell
    Options
    I love Zumba!

Ideally, you should get an HRM as it truly depends on your height, HR and weight for the amount of calories you burn in a class. But you can get a good estimate from www.zumbacalories.com

I've been *just* doing Zumba for about 3 weeks and have lost 5 pounds - haven't taken my measurements yet, though. I have Zumba Fitness 2 for the Wii and LOVE it :-)

Good luck!
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I'm 161 lbs, an instructor and burn about 800 calories a class.... :)
  • akninsas
    akninsas Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love my Zumba class. I burn on average 800 calories for an hour class, but it is super high intensity class.
  • MrsKite
    MrsKite Posts: 35
    Options
    I forgot to mention... I started doing Zumba ® last February after I quit smoking, I have lost 25 pounds since then.
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    at one point it was one of my main sources of working out i would burn around 750 calories and i did lose weight and tone up quite a bit ....i have the dvd's and the kinect game and love them.
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I love zumba. Live classes are the funnest, but I'm kind of addicted to Wii Zumba 2. It's not as easy to follow as a live class, but still a good time. I'm 5'11" and just under 200#. I use a HRM and burn about 600 cals per hour in a live class, and around 500 cals/hour with the Wii (there's a lot more down time between songs with Wii).
  • k4evans1
    k4evans1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think you can probably guess your calories y using the exercise part of this website, but I'd save up for a hrm if you think you'd like exact numbers. I LOVE mine and just got it at Target a few years ago. I have Zumba tomorrow night with girls from work :) I think part of the fun of Zumba is being in a room full of women (well typically) and dancing it out. Personally, I wouldn't like a DVD. If I was dancing at home, I'd rather crank up my tunes :)http://freshfitnfabulous.blogspot.com/
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Just FYI: I use an HRM, & I checked out www.zumbacalories.com just to compare: I typically burn 385-400 calories in a regular intensity Zumba class. The website said 411, so it's a liiiiitle high, but not bad!!