Mac and Cheese Light

Options

Replies

• nataliespiczka
    Options
    Great idea! Or in Mashed Cauliflower too!
  • TKKlima
    TKKlima Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How many calories?
    macaroni.jpg

macaroni2.jpg

I have been craving macaroni and cheese for ages, so when I spotted this recipe for a healthier, lighter version in Fitness magazine, I decided to give it a try. I was intrigued by the fact that it doesn't use butter, milk or cream, and instead uses onion/garlic to build flavour and texture. It does take a little prep time but it's worth it! It is quite addictive and perfect comfort food for this cold weather. I am looking forward to having leftovers for lunch.

Ingredients
    Nonstick cooking spray (or drop of oil)
    Salt
    4 ounces whole wheat macaroni ( I used half whole wheat half regular)
    1/2 cup onion-garlic puree*
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    Pinch cayenne pepper
    1 cup shredded 50 percent reduced-fat cheddar ( I only had mozzarella so i used that)
    1/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
    1/4 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan
    * This puree was very intriguing. You \ to put 1 onion with 9 cloves of garlic ( I used just 4, as 9 seemed excessive) in a covered dish in the microwave with 1/2 cup of water for 10 minutes! You then blend it in a blender (magic bullet works great), and it comes out looking like a white, creamy sauce. The leftover puree can be kept in the fridge in a container for a few days.

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Mist an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with cooking spray; set it aside.
    Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook according to package directions, drain.
    Meanwhile, bring onion-garlic puree, mustard, and cayenne to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often. Whisk in cheddar until melted. Remove from heat and whisk in yogurt.
    In a medium bowl, toss the macaroni with the cheese sauce. Season with salt to taste. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle panko over the top. Top with Parmesan.
    Bake until Parmesan is melted and macaroni is hot throughout, about 10 minutes.
  • TKKlima
    TKKlima Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What does it mean when people say BUMP?
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • LovingCruz
    LovingCruz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    looks good
  • Court222010
    Options
    bump!
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    bump ... making this sauce to put over GF pasta, everyone be jealous :laugh:
  • mrnls
    mrnls Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    bump and thank you
  • JayPeazy
    JayPeazy Posts: 89 Member
    Options

I've asked this a couple of times and nobody has ever replied. Since then I think I have it figured out. People post that when they like a thread so that they can "bump" it up to the top of the boards so more people can see it. At least, that's what I think.
  • jeannicoleau
    jeannicoleau Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

I've asked this a couple of times and nobody has ever replied. Since then I think I have it figured out. People post that when they like a thread so that they can "bump" it up to the top of the boards so more people can see it. At least, that's what I think.

It also puts it in your "My Topics" section so you can easily find it later if you forget how to search for it. It's a quick way to bookmark.
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    I've been craving mac and cheese lately as well! Definitely will need to give this one a try, thanks!
  • GATORGIRL1000
    Options
    Do you have the nutritional value for thr recipe or do you know what finess magazine the recipe was from.
  • kbendert
    kbendert Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the recipe! I am going to have to try it out!
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    So you shred the cheese and THEN measure it by just lightly putting it into the measuring cups?
  • Ireshgurl
    Ireshgurl Posts: 559
    Options
    bump!!!! i so want to try this. my hubby and i both love mac and cheese but it's sooo heavy and fattening, esp the way i make it, lol.
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I have been wanting some to-thanks!
  • mikethom
    mikethom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Yum! Bump!
  • Piperette
    Piperette Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    How many calories?

[/quote

Nutrition facts per serving ( 1/4 of the recipe, about 2/3 cup): 237 calories, 17g protein, 31g carbohydrate, 7g fat, 3g fiber ]