Compulsive Eater

Options
Is anyone else out there a compulsive eater? For me, I think it started with my parents divorce when I was 13. I packed on lots of lbs, very quickly. I started hiding food, and using it to quench the pain.

Since then.. the compulsive eating has derailed nearly every weight loss attempt I have had. I know that I'm using food for comfort... but I just fall into old patterns when times get tough... Even those shows that show morbidly obese people that can barely get out of bed.... I can understand how they get there (even though I've never been there thank god)

Anyone else out there going through the same things? Thoughts, tips, friends requests appreciated :)

Replies

• castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Not a lot of time right now, but have been battling similar issues since a similar age. Add me as a friend if you'd like to - will come back to you when I'm a little less pushed for time!
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I am a compulsive eater, too. I eat entire meals just to past the time and to calm anxiety. I can easily eat 8-10K calories a day without even thinking about it. I hide food, eat fast food meals while driving to have dinner with friends, have another fast-food meal after going out to dinner, and still raid my kitchen for more. The only thing that seems to stop my compulsive eating is choosing a very rigid eating plan that doesn't allow me to have ANY food that may trigger a binge. So if I have only vegan food or only low-carb or a liquid diet or something like that I tend to have more success than trying to control portions of regular meals. But then I only stick to those rigid diets for a few days until there's a temptation in front of me that I can't resist, and I am back to eating everything in sight. I'd also love to have support, ideas, thoughts, etc. on this subject :)
  • CuttingtheTies
    Options
    I am also a compulsive/binge eater. Growing up I was never really allowed to eat so when people left my home, I took advantage of them being gone and ate so much food, both healthy and not. I would hide food under my bed and just eat whenever I got bored, felt alone, any negative feeling.

A few years later, I still find myself doing the same thing when people leave the house I currently live in but I'm slowly getting better.

It's quite a struggle, to break such a habit, especially when the only time I eat is when I binge.

I'm here for you <3
  • jbootman
    jbootman Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    my BEST advice:

read The End of Overeating by Kessler

this well credentialed physician details the brain chemistry reason there is a brain addiction to food and the salt/fat/sugar problem,

in changing what you eat you can get control over portions,

this is the very best place to be, full of support and information,

this is the first window I open each day and the last I close each night

give yourself a kiss for signing up to MFP and remember that this is road not a destination

:flowerforyou:
  • merrylea
    merrylea Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the book advice jboot - I will check it out. There are definately trigger foods - the sweet/fatty trigger is always my downfall. My fiancee complains that I never "buy anything good" from the grocery store, but the fact is I just cannot control myself. I can't have it in the house... or I'll eat it all. I also think I have to stuff it down and get rid of it so its no longer a temptation.

Just like an Alchoholic... it's one day at a time. I can do it... just for today :)