Sort of bummed

Options
I bought the Polar FT4 HRM, and I've been really disappointed with how little calories it says I'm burning. Obviously, I don't want false numbers, but for example, I do the 30 day shred, and I work myself HARD on level two, and I only burn 220 calories? And I just did Zumba for 22 minutes (broke a sweat, went above my "target HR zone", etc.) and only burned 166 calories...The game itself said 299. I am 212 pounds, and 5'1", so it seems like I should be burning a little more calories than the HRM says, but I guess not...Does that sound about right? Only 220 calories for level two of the 30 Day Shred? Yesterday, I was only in my target HR zone for 15 of the 26 minutes, the rest of the time, I was above it.

I'm glad that Pyle HRM stopped working...it was calculating twice the number of calories this one is...and I'd rather be underestimating than over...

Replies

• leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    To be honest, your HRM readings sound right to me.
  • sirihermine
    sirihermine Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    it sounds right to me too. 166 cal for 20 minutes is not bad.
    My polar 4 tells me a burn more than I thought I would, maybe you have your expectations too high when it comes to what you're able to burn?
  • Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    For the 26 minute, 220 calorie burn, my average HR was 156 and my max was 184. My target is 129-169...I was using a Pyle last week until it just stopped working, but it was estimating way more...I guess I just got used to seeing bigger numbers.
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    And you're sure your height and weight are entered into the watch correctly?
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Make sure your information is put in correctly so you get accurate numbers, but honestly, the numbers you gave sound right on. I also wear a HRM (Polar) and one of my classes at the gym is a super intense hard core boot camp class- 60 minutes of it and I only burn 683 calores-

Your burn sounds really good and you should be encouraged. You are doing it and being honest with the actual calories burned (instead of what you want) will help you with your weight loss goals...

Hang in there- it gets better.
  • Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Yeah everything is in there correctly...oh well...It is getting easier to exercise, so I know it isn't all for nothing.