reducing portion vs changing what you eat

Options

Replies

• KaitieNoelle
    KaitieNoelle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    "all foods are permissable, but not all foods are beneficial".
  • dolphin9803
    Options
    For me it was and still is a mix of both. I don't ever deny myself anything however if there is a higher cal food, I usually take a smaller portion and fill up the rest with veggies. I love LOVE LOVEEE Macaroni & cheese, but instead of having like 2 cups of it and a piece of chicken and a spoon of broccoli, I will only take 1/2 cup of mac & cheese and have it with the chicken, and a few spoons of broccoli.

This! I have learned that for me if I deny myself somthing that I truely love I fail completely so I eat everything in moderation. If I want a candy bar I have it but instead of eating the whole thing in one sitting I have now learned to cut it up in 4s and space it over a wk...lol
  • Elise_B
    Options
    I really think a little from both worlds cutting portions and healthy eating are important. By choosing to eat healthy foods, you will be satisfied longer and feel physically better. Although there are days where in social settings in particular you have to cut portions to be successful. I think that the bottom line is making it work for your life so that you are consistent.

If you are out with friends and everyone is having wings for example, figure out how much the wings will cost (calorie wise), but also look for a healthy, fiber filled pair like a few wings and a ton of celery.

This sounds weird but sometimes I will use soup as my salad dressing, (obviously within moderation).
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I don't clean eat. In fact, I had pizza for lunch. lol

I focus on how the food makes me feel since this is part of my motivation - how I feel. I also have pretty severe acid reflux so how I feel after I eat something is critical in making sure I'm not eating too many acidic/acid producing foods to be able to sleep at night.

The result was a combination of both. Yes, I still eat 'bad' foods, but significantly less and in smaller portions. I still eat fast food regularly, but I'm not a slave to the 'value' meal and I rarely have soda. (Iced tea please!) I've found quite a few foods that work for me and I can still satisfy my drive-thru desires. lol I've also begun eating foods that I'd never eaten before I made these changes. I have far more greens and veggies than I did before, but fruit still makes me a bit cranky, so I don't have it that often. (It's the sugar.)

I also think it's very important not to deprive yourself. The times I eat something as a special treat, I enjoy it more now because I don't have it very often.

It would also be fair to say my tastes have changed dramatically. I went from fatty/sweet to tart/bitter. I love foods that have some bitterness or a nice tartness to them. Sweets tend to make me grumpy, so I don't have a sweet tooth anymore. I'll have some birthday cake if it's a party, the occasional cookie, but I really don't dig sweets like I used to and I used to live for them. Then after I ate them I would be grumpy and miserable. No sweets -- no problem. Life is better this way.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    A bit of both, if you say "oh I can never have that again" you will just want it all the more. MFP is about healthy eating but also Moderation in all things. You want some chocolate pudding, well read the label and have 1 serving. I haven't given up anything but added a few more veggies to my diet. However, I always, always, only have 1 serving. Some folks can't do that though so they sincerely have to give a food up because they know it's a trigger food and they will eat it all if they eat any. You have to decide if you have the self discipline to stick to one serving and give up for the most part the foods that make you binge. Other than that only you can decide what helps you eat sensibly.
  • hughesnc
    Options
    I started out changing what I was eating because when I looked up the calorie count for the foods I was used to eating, I went into shock mode. I did study the database to find some of the low calorie food and was very happy to discover things like Canadian Bacon that I always stayed away from because I thought it was too high in calories. After a while you do stop craving sweets and salty foods naturally. Some days are harder than others. I find myself craving amounts of food, not kinds of food. Yesterday I had 3 pieces of salt water taffy and it was enough to satisfy sweet cravings.
  • lovex5
    lovex5 Posts: 11
    Options

ETA: If you try to restrict yourself from all the things you love then you're highly likely to just revert completely back to old ways.

True story right there! This is good to know. I lost about 15lbs with MFP last year but then stopped. I was eating very healthy 95% of the time but freaked out when it came to old favorites and sometimes would binge. I have started again with mostly healthy foods but still eat small portions of the other foods so that I wont feel deprived. When I'm told I can't or shouldn't have something, it's all I want! Good to know how everyone does it. Shows me that you all seem to have your own way but are still losing weight doing it. Thanks everybody!
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I think many people started out simply eating less food, and then changed to "cleaner" eating over time.....

I started eating smaller portions, and then my body needed more nutrients to keep me going. I ended up eating a bit healthier, but it was done over time (with many slip ups). It was gradual over the course of a year.

This! I started by controlling portions then when I figured I can eat more of better things.

Totally agree! Keeping track of my food intake on MFP has helped me make better choices. I'm a huge "evening snacker" and I like my sweets. Now, I check MFP and if I still have calories left over, I have a choice to make......I can either eat 2 Hershey's kisses....or I can have a cup full of baby carrots. Most of the time I'd rather have the carrots because I can eat more of them. It can be a motivation for me to eat more healthy, lower cal foods. But sometimes the Hershey's kisses win out. :smile:
  • MelKut
    MelKut Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Simply reducing portion size wouldn't help me because I don't have a ton of weight to lose. I'm focusing on also eating clean and losing 1 lbs per week so I can really maintain this. If there is something I really want, yes, I'll give myself a smaller portion, but otherwise I try to put whole natural foods in my body.

Some days are just way to busy and I realize by dinner that I am still under my calorie goals, so I might go into a convenience store and search for a protein bar with the least sugar and sat. fats and looked for baked or low fat chips. I don't normally eat that way, but if I have to, I really try to make smart choices.
  • debsgallery
    Options
    I had to change what I ate to lose, more soups and salads, less pizza and burgers. I am an insulin defendant diabetic with a thyroid disease so I have to do it this way to lose. My husband changed the portions which did not work for me. He lost and I am losing. To each their own way.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I do a bit of both. I eat smaller portions of the stuff I want, and then add vegetables and soup and stuff to fill me up
  • slbeutler
    slbeutler Posts: 205
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I was wondering if people who are losing weight with MFP simply cut portions of "regular foods" (and stay within calorie goal) or if you completely change what you're eating to healthy food 100% of the time. This is just for my own curiousity. I have heard from some that you can still eat what you want and just reduce portions but some swear that you have to start eating healthy all of the time. Thanks!

I think it is a personal preference. My aunt is very slender and always has been and she just eats very small portions of whatever she wants. Eating out is not done often because she lives in Vail and it is very expensive to eat out. She cooks with real butter and sugar and has her glass of wine and chocolate everyday but she is just very disciplined on eating very small portions and cooks and bakes with high quality foods. I do a little of both, but I follow a more strict and "clean" diet with controlled indulgences every now and then. If I want a dessert that is being offered somewhere, I will just ask someone for a bite and not have an entire serving. Usually the first bite is the best and after that you don't get as much satisfaction.

You have to do what works for you and what you can stick to as a lifestyle change and not a diet.
  • SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I too started out eating less but, found that I felt hungry all the time because I ate a lot of processed foods. I gradually began to eat more non-processed, lower sodium foods and noticed a drastic difference. For instance, I ate 4 cups of fresh vegetables for lunch yesterday (I didn't intend to but, it just happened), and felt stuffed all afternoon! Also, when I began to learn what one serving of my old food looked like, I felt deprived. It is definitely better to eat as clean as possible because in essence, you are eating more this way.
    This!

If you're eating healthy foods you can eat much more for the same calories and stay full longer. But it does depend on what your starting point is - food wise. If you eat a lot of fast food, processed food and "junk food" you'll find you get more "bang for your buck" by eating healthier foods. But if you already eat healthy foods you will have to cut down portions also.
    Good luck!
  • kiawya
    kiawya Posts: 73
    Options
    Both! I refuse to diet, I will eat what I want. HOWEVER, I definately eat healthier, read labels and eat NORMAL portion sizes. I try to be most careful at home, since I dont eat out much. When I go out, to parties, etc, I eat what I want, and after all this time, I find that it doesnt take much to fill me up. I try to stop eating when I dont feel hungry anymore, NOT when I feel full.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I was wondering if people who are losing weight with MFP simply cut portions of "regular foods" (and stay within calorie goal) or if you completely change what you're eating to healthy food 100% of the time. This is just for my own curiousity. I have heard from some that you can still eat what you want and just reduce portions but some swear that you have to start eating healthy all of the time. Thanks!

I ate fairly healthy to begin with, I've alrways been a big fan of fruits & veggies.
    But I had issues with portion control so weighing things out has definitely helped.
    And it has changed my diet somewhat because I'm now eating more yogurt & eggs to get my protein and dairy.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    It is possible to lose weight just cutting portion sizes, and it's possible to not lose weight eating nothing but whole, "clean," foods.

I can attest to this. I started eating cleaner 5 years ago. Over the past 2 or 3, I am actually a pretty clean eater (about 85% of the time). It had zero impact on my weight.

I don't buy many processed foods, and half of the time I don't even finish the crackers or cookies at home. It can take me 1-2 months to finish a bag of chips at home. I eat fairly clean when going out to eat (since it is pretty trendy where I live to make whole foods with local and/or organic ingredients) you can find cleaner versions of everything from burgers to donuts. :)

So that being said, only exercise and portion control make a difference for me. I feel bad in other ways if I have too much junk food, so I try to skip processed food most of the time.
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hi, my mother is a personal trainer and has helped me with this exact issue. And it's definitely a process as others have said. I started with portion control and it slowly turned into healthier eating. As my exercise changed and increase, so did my food intake. My mom has told me that I should eat about 5 small meals a day to keep my metabolism going. And it is definitely good to "treat" yourself every now and then to help jump start your body and metabolism over again. Just don't overindulge. Good luck on your mission.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I have changed what I eat. I think knowledge is power..and the longer you are on MFP..the more knowledgeable you become as far as what to eat and what not to eat.

YOu become aware how certain food cause your body to react. For instance..I have PCOS and IR...I am better off eating about 50-100 carbs a day...staying away from processed carbs as well as all grains. Easier said than done..but I do accomplish it most days.

So for me..I have not changed my portions..but changed what I eat...salad is now my friend...
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I began cutting my portion sizes, but, too, changed to eating healthier items and cooking in instead of eating out. I love spicy food. I can go out and order it, in which case, I have no idea how much fat, salt, sugar is added to the meal and how many calories, or i can make it my self and figure out the calories by adding the ingredients together. I've lost 20 lbs. roughly 35 days.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I get annoyed when I read "I eat clean." What does that really mean? Are certain foods "dirty", and therefore unworthy?

Yes, I understand the term.......but it still annoys me :grumble:

Anyhooooooooo, I am doing what many are here - I still eat foods that aren't necessarily GOOD for me, but that I enjoy. I had a piece of cake at work for a birthday person. I scraped off most of the frosting. It tasted good :) But I'll have my salad for lunch, and will try to eat healthy foods the rest of the day. If I'm not 100% on that? Oh well, tomorrow is another day :wink:

I think that some folks get a little obsessive about clean or vegan or healthy or no-white-foods..... whatever 'buzz word' is in fashion nowdays. Me? I figure it took me 57 years to get here, and ANY little changes I make are a good thing. Am I eating better? I surely am......and I LIKE the taste of the foods I eat, and I ENJOY the challenge of making my goal each day. But if that brownie or piece of pizza is calling my name.......I'm GONNA eat it!

You need to do what works for you. You need to be happy in your own skin, work at your own pace, enjoy this new LIFEstyle change........cuz, for me, it's not a diet, nor a short-term fix. I want to do this for the rest of my days - so, it's gotta be fun, it's gotta be easy, and it's gotta work for me. So far, so good :bigsmile: :bigsmile: