Feeling guilty...

Options
I skipped a workout yesterday. I just simply was unable to do it after work so I had intended on doing it on my lunch hour but you know what they say, the best laid plans.... Last week I did my Curves work out every day but Thursday, which I only did an obliques work out that morning. Oh, and I didn't work out over the weekend more than carrying some heavy boxes up stairs a few times and power shopping, lol.

I guess the point of this post is to get opinions and advice...does skipping one (or two) workout sessions a week really affect your weight loss that much, especially if you keep up with your diet? Also, I feel like I'm waaaay more tired, purely exhausted mentally and physically, even though I feel like I should have more energy since I'm eating healthier and exercising...is this normal?

Replies

• jazzie2421
    Options
    Don't feel guilty. Just jump in where you are. If you messed up, you messed up. Nothing to get upset about. Take it as a lesson learned and go about your business. If you don't have time one day to excercise, park farther from the door or build extra steps in to your everyday to make up for it.
  • just2liveagain
    Options
    I was wondering if that's normal too, I have been exercising really hard this past week, started turbo jam a week ago and although they're only 40 minute videos, it's a tough workout for someone of my weight, and I thought it's supposed to give you energy, I too have felt completely drained, mentally and physically the whole week? huh, weird.

As for the workout, I don't think having one or two days off during your normal workout routine will hurt your progress. Sometimes people even give them selves a rest, if they workout normally Mon-Fri, sometimes they'll give themselves a break for a day or two, I know when I do this, it gives my body a chance to kind of catch up with what I've been doing, meaning I see on the scale in those 2 days the number goes down, I guess from muscle being able to relax so it lets go of the water it holds when you exercise. This is something I've read, and it seems to be true from what I've seen. As long as you pick back up with the exercise, it's not gonna hurt you, especially if you're doing good on your food, before I started the exercise thing, I changed my eating for the first week, and didn't exercise at all, just tracked my calories and made wiser choices, and I dropped 5 pounds that first week just from lowering calories! I haven't even lost close to 5 pounds a week with watching calories AND exercising together! I think you're doing just fine, don't let the guilt of a couple days get you into a slump :)
  • jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Sometimes life just happens but that's ok. Don't let it get you down. Skipping a workout here and there is ok, it's when you never start back up again that would be the problem. It's happened to all of us at some point and I know exactly the guilty feeling you are talking about. Just remember, the workout is important but the biggest part of any plan is your diet. If you have been staying on track with that, even on non workout days, you should be ok. Good luck!
  • elg1982
    elg1982 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Your body needs a rest day to recover. Don't feel bad.