Diet Soda...OK or Not OK?

nickelmel
nickelmel Posts: 87
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
So I love Diet Dr. Pepper and I always have a glass at night when I come home (as long as I have all my water in for the day!) I've heard many things about diet soda and that the aspartame is bad for you and something in it irritates the lining of your belly etc so I"m wondering what others have heard about diet soda. Is it really that bad? And if you are an ex-diet soda (or regular soda) drinker, did you notice a big difference in weight loss once you tossed the habit of drinking soda?

And I guess this question can relate to coffee as well. I head that if you give up coffee it helps with weight loss - is this true? I always have coffee in the morning and really enjoy it but maybe that's why i lose weight slowly? Any help would be great! :bigsmile:

Replies

• nickelmel
    nickelmel Posts: 87
    So I love Diet Dr. Pepper and I always have a glass at night when I come home (as long as I have all my water in for the day!) I've heard many things about diet soda and that the aspartame is bad for you and something in it irritates the lining of your belly etc so I"m wondering what others have heard about diet soda. Is it really that bad? And if you are an ex-diet soda (or regular soda) drinker, did you notice a big difference in weight loss once you tossed the habit of drinking soda?

And I guess this question can relate to coffee as well. I head that if you give up coffee it helps with weight loss - is this true? I always have coffee in the morning and really enjoy it but maybe that's why i lose weight slowly? Any help would be great! :bigsmile:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    I dont think your daily intake of one can is going to do much to ya..I think it hinders those that drink several a day.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    It's bad for you. Just like any other processed anything.

That being said, I still drink it in moderation. I used to be a huge addict (I'm talking buckets of soda a day, literally. I would go to the 7-11 for a diet coke big gulp at least three times) I now have it a few times a week. Since I've scaled way back, I've noticed that my sugar cravings have lessened. I've read, and I agree with the idea, that artificial sweet (with no calories) essentially confuses your body. It gets excited by the sugary taste, and then dissapointed by the lack of calories, hence you crave more. (I'm sure there's a more technical explanation for this.)

With coffee, I'm pretty sure it's what you put in the coffee. I used to drink tens of cups a day (with all the fixings) I once added it up and it was around 600-700 calories per day in coffee additives. I'm now down to one cup in the morning.

I think everything in moderation. I believe in rituals, so maybe you could substitute something else for the soda treat some days. . .like an herbal tea? (that's what I subbed in for all the extra cups of coffee. I discovered that I just wanted something hot in my favorite cup while I worked.):flowerforyou:
  • I'm not a big soda drinker, but I don't think a can a day will do much to you. I have heard that diet soda is bad, but it doesn't have calories, fat, sugar, or caffeine (some do, some don't) so I think it's ok once in a while. I drink a few cans a week, maybe 3.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    I don't like diet drinks- but I found some that I actually like Coke Zero and Cherry Coke Zero I feel they are better than me drinking regular soda - I always drink water so my coke zero's are my alternate- Which is good when we go out to eat instead of me gettng my typical Sweet Tea which I love (and in the South Sweet Tea is super duper sweet and loaded with sugar) so its best that if I am not drinking water that I drink a Coke Zero rather than sweet tea
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Okay - here's my opinion (popular or not), I say if you want a diet soda, have a diet soda. There is so much conflicting information out there, that it is difficult to tell what's what. If you have had no adverse reaction to the terrors of diet soda, then I say go nuts. Remember when they said not to eat chicken and eggs because of cholesterol and bacteria? :noway:
  • I read that sodas have a ton of sodium in them and that is why they may possibly slow down weight loss. I use to drink one or two diet sodas per day and when I stopped I lost 2 pounds in one week. I assume it was water weight I had been retaining from all the sodium.
  • snowbune27
    snowbune27 Posts: 75 Member
    I've only ever had diet soda in my life, but decided to cut that back when I heard about my body confusing the aspratame for real sugar...

I don't drink the stuff anymore, and I haven't lost any weight... and my sugar cravings are still the same...

I do feel better about not putting chemicals into my body though... I drink water instead and feel more refreshed than with soda.

As for coffee, if I want a treat (I'm talking like once every other week) I will get a coffee with steamed soy milk(the soy milk is sweet)... yum! my sweet treat (because I have it so rarely) does not really throw me off my "diet"
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    I love diet soda. I don't pay much heed to all those reports...they are always linking things to cancer or...something...and it drives me nuts. I love diet soda. I don't really drink a lot of it because I drink a lot of water, but if I don't have my glass of wine at night, I have a glass of diet soda.

As for coffee, I agree that it's probably what you're putting in it - unless your tummy is just naturally more sensitive to it. I used to use sugar-free creamer and splenda...then I realized how much creamer I was actually putting in it and realized it's actually not bad only sweetened with splenda. I drink...probably 2-4 cups a day. I have read that it boosts your metabolism temporarily.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    I gave up on coffee and I was never a big soda drinker.

I have hot water with a wedge of lemon in the morning and then switch to water and herbal teas all day. Sometimes the water gets a bit boring so I add a lemon wedge or some organic grapefruit juice to flavour it.

Since I am eating clean, I will not drink soda. There are too many chemicals in it.

The coffee wasn't that difficult. I cut it down slowly and then when I was only having half a cup a day, I stopped. No caffeine headaches...no problem.
  • I heard that diet sodas promote belly fat...so the day I started on here (2 1/2 weeks ago) I thought I would try giving up my only drink ( I consumed 6-8 cans a day) and replace with water...not sure if it is a myth or not, but Ive lost 9 lbs already...in 2 weeks...
    157832.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • LauraK216
    LauraK216 Posts: 104
    I've heard both. I don't drink diet soda, but I do drink regular soda. It used to be the only thing I'd drink, but I've cut it down to 1 can a day and stick to water otherwise. I've noticed a HUGE difference in how I feel in just a few days and I've also noticed my body doesn't crave it, nor does my body like it if I try to sneak in an extra can!

I do have a cup of coffee every morning and I put FF creamer in it. I was encouraged by my cardiologist to drink a cup of coffee a day, so I do. It also helps wake me up and I feel it's "healthier" for you than soda.
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    I also don't drink diet soda. Personally, I don't like sweeteners. I hate their taste and don't care for what they turn into in the body. I read one study that said Aspertame turns into formaldehyde in the blood stream. I much prefer full fat, full sugar treats. I know it's a mind set. If I indulge in a treat, like a Code Red, I know it's a treat, not a drink because I'm thirsty. I drink one every...3 or 4 months. I think that's just a healthier frame of mind for me.:happy:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    I gave up regulare soda-

1 can of soda a day = 10lbs in a year

I never liked diet sodas they always had a weird taste to me but then someone turned me on to Coke Zero which I love :love: :love: tastes like regular soda but no calories- I drink water throughout the day and with my lunch and dinner I drink some of a coke zero-

There is so much hoopla about everything being not good for you ect... if you want it go for it-

I prefer to not drink regular soda's anymore or anything that is a liquid form of calories.

So to find something that I like without calories is awesome
This discussion has been closed.