Constipation?

Options
Everyone's favorite topic right? :)

Anyway, I've been eating relatively healthy for the past 2 weeks. No fast food and lots of fruits and veggies. Drinking a lot of water too.

4 days ago I had a sharp pain in my side/back and I couldn't get comfortable. I did some research and thought it could be a kidney stone. I haven't ruled that out yet but the pain is now mostly in my lower back on both sides. Then I thought to myself today that I haven't had a bowel movement since I had that sharp pain. Could I be constipated?

I just thought since my fiber intake is higher than ever and I'm not eating a lot of "junk" food that it would be processing a lot better. Has anyone else had this problem when starting a diet??

Replies

• mandi_2007_b
    Options
    Oh here's my story lol. I've had runny diarrhea for 10yrs (no joke), going to the bathroom EVERYDAY! So when I started my diet, like u, no junk, lots if fiber and now I have hard stool and rarely go. I have a Dr app end of next month so hope to figure it out.
  • teaspoon43
    teaspoon43 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm not the only one.. phewwwwwwwww!

Do you feel any different? I just have this overwhelming feeling of "not good".. no other way to explain it haha.

Let me know how the Drs goes, I'm going to hold off as long as possible to make an appt
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    I have chronic constipation as I was born with a GI tract issue and it does come with pains but most of mine are located near front left hip/pelvic kind of area. My husband has experienced kidney stones and says its like a sword was stabbing him, severe pain...male equivalent to child birth apparently.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Sudden changes in diet can have that affect on the body, yes. Going suddenly from junk food to healthy food isn't always a smooth transition (pun intended, sorry). Go to your nutrition goals on MFP and set it to track your fiber intake. Watch it for a few days. You want to keep it in the normal range-not too low and not too high. Either extreme in your fiber intake can cause constipation. Fruits and vegetables are good, but whole grains and beans are even better for constipation.

You also need to make sure your water intake is good enough-8 glasses per day + more if you're working out. Barring that, a little stool softener can help, too, if you use it once.

HTH
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Make sure your diet is not really low fat. That causes me problems. Also, I'm not an expert, but there are 2 kinds of fiber ... from Mayo-

"Insoluble fiber. This type of fiber promotes the movement of material through your digestive system and increases stool bulk, so it can be of benefit to those who struggle with constipation or irregular stools. Whole-wheat flour, wheat bran, nuts and many vegetables are good sources of insoluble fiber.

Soluble fiber. This type of fiber dissolves in water to form a gel-like material. It can help lower blood cholesterol and glucose levels. Soluble fiber is found in oats, peas, beans, apples, citrus fruits, carrots, barley and psyllium. "

Prune juice is said to be a really good "natural" laxative.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    When I cut the carbs out I always have problems with constipation. I take a stool softener when I take out all the fast acting carbs due to a very bad case of hemeroids last time I did this, yuck. I should try prune juice too. I haven't thought of that but it is a good idea. Milk ang coffe help me get things moving too. It really is not a fun ailment.
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    if all else fails I will drink a strong cup of coffee or two, that usually works it out for me.
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Higher intake of fats = More BM

At least, that's what I've learned.
  • paleojamie
    Options
    maybe you changed too quickly .. you gotta ease into it slowly .. cut one thing out and replace it with a good thing per day
  • teaspoon43
    teaspoon43 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! I will maybe try a cup of coffee and see what tomorrow brings. I'm always in and out of meetings at work so I'm scared to try a laxative...yikes! :)
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Same problem here, hence i have All bran flakes every morning without fail. I put them in my smoothie, eat them as snack. They are the only thing that seems to help.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal made with old fashioned oats, cooked quickly so it's not mushy, with fresh or frozen fruit of your choice would be a good thing. I had a chronic problem secondary to a prescription medication that had the lovely side effect of paralyzing my GI tract's peristalsis. Oatmeal every day did the trick.
  • beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    bump
  • melissafaith24
    melissafaith24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    my body always does this the first week or two after diet change. it was brutal this time starting back. i couldnt touch my stomach without screaming almost. i ate 2 prunes in the morning about 3 days in a row and everything straightened itself out. good luck!
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Just take a fiber supplement, and see if it helps.
    If not, see a doctor =]
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Try going for a run or drinking some coffee with creamer in it.
  • Inittolozeit
    Inittolozeit Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have the saaame problem! I actually took a laxative because of the tummy troubles.. I dint recommend it tho but it did help. So what I'm doing now it taking an off brand finer supplement before bed.. its comparable to Metimucail (sp?) And it seems to be helping me..
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If you get a lot of fiber and dont drink enough water with it, it can actually cause constipation. Drink more water. Some people find probiotic supplements and foods also help.