Costco Food

Options

Replies

• vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Too numerous to list but a previous poster covered most. My favorite thing to buy is fresh fruits and veggies and the Foster farms - No Salt added chicken breast.
  • almost350
    Options
    My dad works fo Costco here in the UK.. he's always going on about the quality of the food!!

I normally get him to bring me chicken breasts, tomatoes and oranges from there.. Plus kirkland signature water is great and quite cheap!
  • rzeancak
    rzeancak Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Me personally I like most of their goods there. We buy the dried fruit & nuts to make healthier snacks. I find Costco gives us the ability to watch our processed food intake. I know for a fact that the protein bars and powder are not effective or good, but the multi vitamins are.
    Good luck!

PS every time we exit Costco I’m $200 lighter in the bank account.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Great ideas. I am still new to Costco, but so far I like the organic brown rice. I will definitely check out the frozen fish next time I'm there.
  • beatleschic87
    beatleschic87 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Their salmon fillets are out of this world. You get like 15 frozen fillets (a good size too) for like 30 bucks... that's like $2 salmon fillet! Which is unheard of. Some of the fillets are so big you could easily break them in half.
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    My Costco shopping list almost always contains the following:
    Organic chicken breast
    Ground turkey (I make big batches of chili and freeze it for later meals)
    Organic skim milk
    Organic eggs
    Butternut squash ravioli
    Chicken sausage (usually the apple and gouda cheese variety)
    Thomas' light multigrain fiber muffins
    Bagel thins (my kids love these, and they are nice on occasion when I want a bagel but not a big one)
    Cherries (when they are sweet)
    Oranges
    Sweet pepper variety pack
    Sabra Hummus - basil pesto is amazing
    Jalapeno greek yogurt dip (some Greek name)
    Kirkland sliced turkey breast for quick sandwiches or wraps
    Turkey bacon
    Tilapia (tortilla encrusted is the variety we get)
    Mixed "Normandy" frozen veggies
    Greek yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Canned black beans
    Organic brown rice (Lundberg's is sooo good)
    Organic chicken stock
    Craisins
    Organic peanut butter
    Brookside dark chocolate covered acai/bluberries (these are like CRACK!)
    Granola bars
    Organic fruit leather
    Crunchmaster multigrain crackers
    Oatmeal

I'm sure I'm forgetting plenty....but there is so much good stuff to be found at Costco, have fun!
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Bump for later :-)
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    The Santa Fe Whole Grain Tortillas are WONDERFUL. I have 4 kids so the majority of my shopping is done at costco. The frozen veggies are good (costco stir-fry mix is the best I have found), Greek yogurt, Frozen Fruit for smoothies, and of course the freah veggies and fruit. I also really like the chicken breasts and whole pork loin. I buy the Lg cans of tomatoes and tomato paste to make my own Sauce.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    I love their hummus, chicken breast, shrimp, broccoli, frozen stirfry veggies, marinated pork loin, granola bars, oatmeal, cream of wheat, rice, quinoa, cheerios, yogurt, frozen precooked chicken strips, sweet potatoe fries
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Premier protein drinks cheaper than elsewhere.

Kirkland Eggwhites in pints (good for 16 "egg equivalents" each) in a pack cheaper than other options (eggwhites are a great source of low calorie protein).

Yes! I forgot about the 3 pack of Egg White Cartons, about half price as what you would pay for them individually at a grocery store and a wonderful source of protein.

HA! We are a Costco family and these are two things that we always have. I love those premier shakes (160 calories, 30 g protein) and the kirkland egg whites are a staple!

I also buy a large amount of our fruit and veggies there. We eat at least one salad per day so always lettuce and tomatoes and the strawberries and blackberries. I also get their bag of frozen berries for smoothies.

Another thing I like from there is the Agro Labs Acia berry cleanse product, the juice form. One little shot in the morning makes my body very happy.

We also buy the kirkland supplements. 12 lbs of Epsom Salts is also around 6 bucks or something, another thing I like to keep in the house. Not many things better than a hot epsoms bath soak after a hard work out.
  • bm_stclair
    bm_stclair Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    We shop at Costco all the time.
    All of the below mentioned suggestions are great. My personal experience, and I think someone mentioned this below, is that some of the fresh veggies are not always the freshest and seem to go bad faster than grocery store veggies.
    A good portion of the frozen meats they sell (fish in particular) also come individually packaged which helps with freezer burn so it'll keep in the freezer longer and helps with the "only cook the portion you need". (Extra food sitting around after dinner is a problem for me).
    Having said that...
    They also sell Rotisserie (sp) chickens at a decent price. It tastes good and is great for having already cooked chicken available in the evenings for that improptu chicken salad or wrap when you just dont feel like cooking anything. JUST DONT EAT THE SKIN. Don't get me wrong, the skin tastes great with the seasonings they use but all the books will tell you it's fattening and adds a bunch of extra calories. Also try to avoid sampling the chicken as you pick it off the bones. *points to self "GUILTY" *:-)
    Most importantly!!!! Stay away from the candy isle! That gigantic box of *enter the candy of your choice* will scream at you. Nobody needs that kind of drama in their "healthy" shopping experience.
    Good Luck!
  • coastalpines
    Options
    We purchase our chicken breasts and frozen cooked shrimp at Costco; and more recently the Tilapia loins...they are Awesome! Even my husband eats the tilapia and he's not a fish eater. You can't go wrong with the frozen stir-fry veggies either...all of these options are healthy and economical ~ happy shopping!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I get my shrimp there, cooked tail off get a BIG bag of it for $15-20 when that's what a tiny little bag costs at the local grocery

I also buy my maple syrup there, 1L container for about $12-15 when the grocery charges $14 for a 500 or if you're lucky 750mL container.

Know your prices, not everything is "great" buy.

I do like to by my tortilla (flat bread) there which I make mini pizzas with, I think it's a 25 pack for $6 when the local is $5 for 8 in a pack.

Forgot the 2kg bag of frozen berries, that makes a LOT of smoothies for cheap
    4L chocolate milk there is under $6 when it's $8 elsewhere..... really really just know your prices, and watch for "errors" if there are trays of meat at $10 and one is for $3 but it's the same size as the others.... no harm in taking one and letting them know of the error :)

OOOH, just spotted my vanilla. A full container of real vanilla extract (500mL I think) cost $6 from Costco and you pay $12 for a container half that size of the "Real" stuff or you can get an artificial one for $7 at that size.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    When I go to Costco, this is my list. ( I do buy other stuff at other stores. You have to know your prices well because you can get stuff cheaper elsewhere)

Baby Carrots
    Celery
    Grape Tomatos
    English Cucumber
    Romaine Lettuce
    Bananas
    Mushrooms
    Any other Fruit and Veggie that might be a good price.
    Frozen Chicken Breasts
    Pork Tenderloin
    Tilapia Filets
    Frozen Strawberries
    Frozen Mixed Berries
    Frozen Fruit Salad
    Frozen Stir Fry Veggies
    Frozen Broccoli
    Quaker Rolled Oats
    Some sort of boxed Cereal
    Canned Tomatos
    Craisins
    Greek Yogurt
    Cottage Cheese

ETA: Pita Breads, Tortillas and Bread
  • Dammitviv
    Dammitviv Posts: 117
    Options
    I get quite a bit of food there, some staples that are always a good price are baby portabella mushrooms, romaine hearts and pork sirloin tip roast (great for freezing, then cooking in the crockpot when you know you will have a late work day or busy saturday). Just be watchful of how much items are per unit, sometimes things that seem like a good deal are not. And keep an eye on the coupons they send out, great deals there.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Me personally I like most of their goods there. We buy the dried fruit & nuts to make healthier snacks. I find Costco gives us the ability to watch our processed food intake. I know for a fact that the protein bars and powder are not effective or good, but the multi vitamins are.
    Good luck!

OMG if I could get my husband out of there at this amount I'd be a happy woman! We spend tons at Costco, every time.

We only go once a month or so - wait for the coupons and stock up on toilet paper, paper towels... and while there we food shop. I like the wild (not farmed) salmon and their meats. We also buy the giant bottle of Kirkland vodka... They (the employees at Costco) say the Kirkland vodka is produced by the same company as grey goose - however it is far inferior to grey goose. Still good though. They have those giant foil trays that are great when hosting. I like most of the Kirkland brand things I have tried.
  • LeiaBeekley
    LeiaBeekley Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I buy the chicken breasts that come with about 8 breasts, I freeze them in individual freezer bags and thaw them out each day. Its a lot cheaper than the grocery store.

I do the same with the lean ground turkey and I always stock up on the fresh veggies.
  • CynGetsThin
    Options
    :smile: Thanks for all the great ideas. I will have to make a list!
  • jj1983
    jj1983 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

OMG if I could get my husband out of there at this amount I'd be a happy woman! We spend tons at Costco, every time.

We only go once a month or so - wait for the coupons and stock up on toilet paper, paper towels... and while there we food shop. I like the wild (not farmed) salmon and their meats. We also buy the giant bottle of Kirkland vodka... They (the employees at Costco) say the Kirkland vodka is produced by the same company as grey goose - however it is far inferior to grey goose. Still good though. They have those giant foil trays that are great when hosting. I like most of the Kirkland brand things I have tried.

I hate taking my husband to Costco! Last time we went together the grand total was $650 and that was even with me giving him a few things to put back.....let's just say I look forward to my Costco Rewards Cheque
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

I hate taking my husband to Costco! Last time we went together the grand total was $650 and that was even with me giving him a few things to put back.....let's just say I look forward to my Costco Rewards Cheque

If I went without him he'd be so hurt lol... he loves Costco. Every single time we go he has to leisurely walk up and down each and every single aisle... including the ones we need nothing in - the ones we never need anything in. He can't help himself! Like a kid in a candy store.... :ohwell: