Is My Goal Unreasonable

2»

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,380 Member
    Hi there - I am 5'4" and was 165 when I started on MFP. It took me 5 months to lose 30 lbs, sticking very close to my MFP calorie goal. (sometimes went under, sometimes just a little over, but it averaged out) I started counting calories about July 25 and by Christmas I was down 30 lbs. I probably could have lost it faster, but I didn't want to go too low on the calories and feel like I was depriving myself. I started out losing about 2 lbs per week (the highest MFP will suggest) and successfully did that for awhile before I decided to slow down my rate to 1 lb per week and eventually now down to 1/2 lb per week. It's a good idea to slow it down as you get closer to your goal.

You may very well be able to do it, you'd just be pushing a bit harder than I did (I feel I can confidently say that since we are the same height and you're starting at my starting weight :-) ) - I did not workout for the first couple of months, just stuck to the calories, I wish I had started sooner. You're doing great to go ahead and start with the Shred. I started it in November last year and it did wonders for losing inches off of my body. Focus a lot on those inches and not *quite* as much on the scale, though - you're going to see big big results in those measurements if you are really pushing it with the Shred (use the biggest weights you can handle - start out small but bump it up as soon as you are able and keep bumping it up to challenge yourself). Take your measurements before you start and you will be amazed at the inches that come off of your body. And that part is more important than what the scale says - after all it's the inches on your body that determine what you can wear and how good you look in it, not the number on the scale. ;-)

Just some personal experiences here that may or may not help you out - After I got past the first 4 days of the 30DS, I started doing it twice in a row (by that point I wasn't hurting the next day so I wanted to bump it up) - once I got up to Level 3 I started doing all 3 levels back-to-back most days so I could get in a lot of different movements and a higher calorie burn. Once you get through the Shred that first time, you might also be interested in checking into some of Jillian's other workouts that are even more challenging and target your muscles in different ways. Banish Fat Boost Metabolism is basically 40 minutes of straight cardio (but of course she switches up the movements a lot, and there is an ab circuit thrown in there too) - great calorie burn. No More Trouble Zones is 40 minutes of mainly weights and resistance - awesome exercises for trouble spots like the tummy, thighs, backs of the arms, etc. Extreme Shed and Shred is like 30 day shred on crack - lots of new movements, fun kickboxing moves thrown in that work your legs and abs differently, combination of weights/resistance/cardio/abs altogether - it has 2 levels that are about 40 minutes each but she recommends you do both levels back to back. It will work. you. out. girl.

Of course if you can get a gym membership and do some serious weight training, that would be even better, but if you are an at-home workout kind of girl, you might really like those other workouts after the Shred. They're not too intimidating since you're kind of familiar with Jillian's style after doing 30DS, but they are more challenging and make you work a little differently, just a little bit of a change so you don't get bored doing the Shred over and over again. :-)
  • judybrim
    judybrim Posts: 82 Member
    I think your goal is great! I lost 35 lbs in 3 mos. 3 weeks - starting wtih 6 weeks of biking...then the remainder I switched to doing the 30 Day Shred! Love that program! With the combo of tracking on mfp and working it out with Jillian it worked just fine. From day one I did 2 levels of 30 DS each day...so 40 mins/day. It sounds like you'll be doing even more extras. I think your goal is absolutely obtainable! Just keep your goals and reasons in mind, eat well and stick to it! Good luck girl! You can do it! Have a blast with Jillilan! She's great! :D