Exercising and Sweating

Options
Sorry if this is a gross subject - but does anyone else notice that they sweat more now that they've lost weight? It seems like the more weight that I lose, the more I sweat when I work out. You would think it would be just the opposite, since your body is carrying less weight during your workouts. Maybe it's just me, but I do notice that I am sweating more.

Replies

• hopeitworks
    hopeitworks Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this is a gross subject - but does anyone else notice that they sweat more now that they've lost weight? It seems like the more weight that I lose, the more I sweat when I work out. You would think it would be just the opposite, since your body is carrying less weight during your workouts. Maybe it's just me, but I do notice that I am sweating more.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    that's natural. Sweat is how you cool off, as you get in better shape, the skin becomes more healthy, your cooling off mechanism becomes more efficient, and your body learns to control it's heat dissapation better.
  • snowbune27
    snowbune27 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    ... it's also because when you are sweating, your body is really working!!!

the more in shape you become, the quicker your body recognizes when you are working out (because it's become habit)

same thing is happening to me... I started a running plan, and now as soon as I start I am drenched!
  • angelinaz
    angelinaz Posts: 262
    Options
    Never thought about it yet you are right! So good to know why! Thanks!

:smile:
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Ditto. Literally as soon as I step onto a basketball court or start a run, I begin to sweat "like a man" as my friends affectionately say.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I didn't count it as because of the weight I loss though but yes I know what your talking about i find it disgusting how much I sweat when I am at the gym- Yuck.
  • ErinD
    ErinD Posts: 14
    Options
    I sweat as well! Whoever say women glow is full of it.. Although my sons dermatologist tells me that is why I have such wonderful skin....as said in a previous post sweating is great for the skin....
  • hartkid13
    hartkid13 Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    I noticed that too. I'm glad I'm not the only one.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this post. I have noticed it, too! As for the comment, "sweating is great for the skin" could this be why I am seeing some acne? I am 44 and suddenly I am getting these huge zits! I have been working out at the gym for 2 months now about 4 times per week and then doing stuff at home when I can't get there.

I NEVER used to sweat! I can remember sweating during childbirth but hardly ever with exercise and now I sweat like crazy when I am working out!

DeeDee
  • hopeitworks
    hopeitworks Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody - I thought I was the only one who was sweating more. It seems like there are a lot of women (and men) out there with the same issue. It's really not very becoming at the gym, but I guess there are worse things. I'm glad to know it's a good thing. Everybody enjoy your St. Patrick's Day
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I don't think I am sweating more- Considering I haven't pushed myself this hard working out in a long time- Not to mention the gym is so damn hot plus all the other people is more body heat- I think that has something to do with it as well-

I don't typically sweat unless I am doing strenuous activity- I may get the glow look walking in the sun(GA is Freaking Hot lol) but other than that I am good except GA's hellful weather and me cutting the grass (My yard is too big and I have a push mower) lol--
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Take this as an example... i got to the gym 3-4 times a week, do a pretty decent work out and sweat like nobidies business..

My mum goes for 5 mile walks on the weekends and doesnt really break a sweat at all..

But when we both do the same exercise i sweat buckets and my mum still looks perfect...

Why oh why!!??! surely i should be used to the exercise right?! My mum should be the one sweating her behind off! Just not fair!!! :laugh:
  • ErinD
    Options
    Thanks everybody - I thought I was the only one who was sweating more. It seems like there are a lot of women (and men) out there with the same issue. It's really not very becoming at the gym, but I guess there are worse things. I'm glad to know it's a good thing. Everybody enjoy your St. Patrick's Day

Just remember when you are at the gym everyone is there for the same reason.....to stay fit and be healthy (hopefully)! Very few people that I see at the gym that are seriously working out aren't very becoming looking. :wink:
  • ErinD
    Options
    That so didn't sound right....they are there to work out....
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    I just figured I sweat more now because I am more hydrated... It doesn't bother me a bit and I sweat like a horse... so bad I could ring it out of my hair!
  • laird20k
    laird20k Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this post. I have noticed it, too! As for the comment, "sweating is great for the skin" could this be why I am seeing some acne? I am 44 and suddenly I am getting these huge zits! I have been working out at the gym for 2 months now about 4 times per week and then doing stuff at home when I can't get there.

I NEVER used to sweat! I can remember sweating during childbirth but hardly ever with exercise and now I sweat like crazy when I am working out!

DeeDee

I find this happens to me if I don't shower immediately after I work out.. Occasionally I do my cardio then sit around in my workout clothes for an hour - cleaning or doing homework - then I do my weights. I usually break out in the area on my back where the racerback of my sports bra would be..
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I am always careful to remove my makeup and any hair-styling products before workouts. That helps a lot with keeping sweat from clogging my pores.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

I may be a sicko but I LOVE a good workout sweat.....I imagine the junk getting out of my body and just feel good if I am sweating up a storm.....sweat is a good thing:smile: